🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » sending an affairs to client
Page options
virusbattle
Community Member

sending an affairs to client

Hi team... 

My name is Bekzod and I am new to this organization. A client asked me to make some logos for his website and I did that. Then I sent all the logos to him. So the question is " Do the clients first pay us and we send affairs? or Do we send affairs to the clients first? Does it matter? if the payment has already verified by Upwork organization.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bekzod:

Short answer:

If you are using Upwork properly (your contract is in place and set up right), then you send the files to the client first.

Longer answer:

If you have a fixed-price contract set up properly, then the client has ALREADY PAID HIS MONEY. It is in escrow. Then you send the files to the client. Then the client releases the payment.

For an hourly contract, the client is paying you for your time. All work product belongs to the client. Send the files to the client whenever they are ready, or whenever the client asks.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
petra_r
Community Member

Bekzod Q wrote:

Hi team... 

My name is Bekzod and I am new to this organization. A client asked me to make some logos for his website and I did that. Then I sent all the logos to him. So the question is " Do the clients first pay us and we send affairs? or Do we send affairs to the clients first? Does it matter? if the payment has already verified by Upwork organization.

Were you actually hired?  I mean, is there a contract on your "my jobs page?"

Is it hourly or fixed rate?

"Where is my money?""Where is my money?"

Bekzod:

Short answer:

If you are using Upwork properly (your contract is in place and set up right), then you send the files to the client first.

Longer answer:

If you have a fixed-price contract set up properly, then the client has ALREADY PAID HIS MONEY. It is in escrow. Then you send the files to the client. Then the client releases the payment.

For an hourly contract, the client is paying you for your time. All work product belongs to the client. Send the files to the client whenever they are ready, or whenever the client asks.

Hello dear Guru
I am afraid that i didn't have contract with this client. The client just
wrote me in private and make me create a logo. And i created then sent to
him. Am i tricked by the client ? 😟😟

Bekzod Q wrote:
Hello dear Guru
I am afraid that i didn't have contract with this client. The client just
wrote me in private and make me create a logo. And i created then sent to
him. Am i tricked by the client ? 😟😟

Well, since the client has not paid for the logos, at least you have material to attach to your portfolio.
Since he has not paid you, they belong to you and he can not use them.
It's something 🙂

Hi and I thank you Preston. I made some mistakes while dealing with client. I haven't a contract with the client but i have already sent the files. Anyway i will be watchful next time.

Ahahaha

Did you seriously took time to this diagram, Petra? Hilarious 🙂

Good HLD. 🙂

Filip K wrote:

Ahahaha

Good HLD. 🙂

I did a few back in 2017 and it really saved me days of my life not typing the same answers over and over and over again 😄

Petra R wrote:

Filip K wrote:

Ahahaha

Good HLD. 🙂

I did a few back in 2017 and it really saved me days of my life not typing the same answers over and over and over again 😄

Not quite on topic, but this is my favourite infographic ever (closely followed by yours, Petra): http://www.shouldiworkforfree.com/

(Especially this: "Just because a business isn't profitable, that doesn't make them a non-profit." Every freelancer should have this embroidered on a sofa cushion in their office.)

Hi and I thank you Petra.
I made mistakes i haven't deal a contract with client and i just sent him files. Anyway next i will be addictive while dealing.

Bekzod:

Yes, the client probably tricked you.

MAYBE the client just had no idea how to use Upwork properly. But more likely: You were tricked.

But THAT'S OKAY!

You are new, and you learned by doing. Now you know that you need to have a contract in place before doing any work.

It's great, because when you do that, you get paid AUTOMATICALLY. Even if the client does NOTHING.

'Anyway next i will be addictive while dealing.'

Google is NOT always your best friend.

It looks like you came to a conclusion it would be better to be addicted to some substance you are dealing.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths