🐈
» Forums » Support » Connects to be returned for Unhired/Expired J...
Page options
web_dezine
Community Member

Connects to be returned for Unhired/Expired Jobs

Hello Everyone,

I have been here since the merger between Elance and oDesk happened in 2013-2014.

Earlier the connects allotted to Freelancers' accounts were able to fulfill for getting the jobs and making a livelihood, after that each year it has become slow to get the jobs, though I don't blame anyone or Upwork for this.

I understand it's the nature of life, things change, time changes, and there are certainly many reasons behind it.

Many new freelancers may be doing so well, but it's not about getting jobs or being hired.

It's about "Connects". Earlier to apply for jobs, only a few connects were used, but after that 8/12/16 connects per job is required, and it's really hard to apply for the jobs.

I understand there are many reasons behind Upwork's decision for the connects system and I am fine with it.

But my only concern/request is that Upwork should return the connects that were used on the jobs that go without hiring/get closed by the client / or expire.

If any job is awarded to someone, that's fine to not return connects, since this whole concept of applying to the job is based on "Bidding".

BTW in Bidding too, only the winner has to pay, the rest of the applicants don't.

Below are the jobs I have applied for in the month of January 2024. All of these haven't hired any freelancers, and most of the clients have not even seen their job posts for more than weeks.

To have an average calculation for the connects/costs used on the above jobs:

10 jobs x 30 connects average/per job = 300.

300 connects costs $45.

For each job, min 30 freelancers apply, and many times more than 50+ freelancers apply for each job.

So for 1 job = 30 freelancers x 12 connects = 360 connects.

100 unhired jobs x 360 connects = 36000 connects x $0.15 = $5400.

On average, 300 jobs are posted in 1 hour. 7200 jobs each day. 216000 jobs a month.

If 50% of jobs go unhired, then 108,000 jobs

108,000 x $540 (as per connects by 30 freelancers/12 each)  = $58,320,000 USD

USD 58,320,000 USD a MONTH => to Upwork.

For the remaining 50% of jobs that make hiring, a 10% Flat fee is charged, so I believe our lovely platform Upwork is making enough money for successful running.

I think Upwork should return the "connects" to the respective freelancers. Justice should be served.

Again: If any job makes hiring, no connects should be returned to anyone, that's fair.

Upwork Freelancer service fee is flat at 10% + taxes, so why they don't return the connects?

So I wanted to see what the thoughts of other Freelancers are here on Upwork community.

Thank you for your time reading, have a great day everyone.

Sincerely,
Sunny Lalwani

2 REPLIES 2
spectralua
Community Member

Do you really believe that upwork will just give you the money that they have already swindled out of you? Are you serious or is this some kind of joke?

P.S. Your calcutation is correct. I calculated that them gain an $5K-10K from each fake.

Hi Mykola,

I think you misread my post, so had to edit it.

Nowhere in my post, I have written the "money" to be returned, it's the "connects" that should be returned if the job goes without any hiring.

Cheers,

Sunny

P.S. We both have earned $200k+ on Upwork, so nobody has time for jokes.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths