🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Issue with contract
Page options
badorl
Community Member

Direct contract

I tried to login into my account today to send someone who wanted to give me a job outside upwork a direct contract proposal, but to my disappointment I notice Direct contract is not functioning on my account again? What could be the cause?

Could it be that the upgrade/maintenance that upwork team want to carry out is the reason it's not functional, or the feature has been axed from my account.

Please I need a quick response.

Thanks
Regards
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Constantin,

I would like to clarify that the process you're referring to is working as designed. 

With Direct Contracts, you can create and send contract proposals to your clients that don't have Upwork accounts. Your client will be asked to create an Upwork account. Just like your other contracts on Upwork, your client deposits project funds in escrow before the contract starts. When you've completed the work, you'll request payment from your client.

To learn more about how Direct contracts work and how to manage them, check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

255 REPLIES 255
e063fbc9
Community Member

the contract is a fixed price contract

Hi Muhammad,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
bcb624ae
Community Member

I'm very confused about the contracting process. There were a lot of additional details I wanted to include as a client with a prospective writer, but I'm not sure if that's an option. How does that work? Attached is an example of what I'm wanting to do. 

Hi Ryan,

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
bcb624ae
Community Member

no one ever reached out to me that I'm aware of

Hi Ryan,

I checked your account and I can confirm that one of our team members did reach out to you via a support ticket here. You can also view and respond to support tickets from the notification sent to your registered email address.

- Pradeep

Upwork
c72c25f3
Community Member

My client paid for funds but I didn't get any "get paid" or anything else in my jobs/contracts. Next to my direct contract there is a label "Direct contract waiting to be accapted" and nonthing else.

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Vladimir-Saša,

I can see that you've raised a ticket about your Direct Contract concerns. Please allow our team time and you will get an update on your ticket on this page once your report is thoroughly reviewed.

~ Arjay
Upwork
imabir
Community Member

I have a client whom I want to bring on Upwork. I also want the payment to go through Upwork. I have worked with him few hours and now want to log these hours on Upwork so if I manually log these hours will it show on my profile as hours I have worked?

Currently my logged hours are 351 hours, if I log my new client's hour, for example 4 hours will it show as 355 hours?

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Abir,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Since you and your client will only be using Upwork for payments, any Direct Contracts will not impact your Upwork reputation metrics (for example your Job Success Score or Top Rated status). These contracts also will not be included in your other Upwork profile stats, such as total earnings, number of jobs, etc.

~ AJ
Upwork
4c4d4212
Community Member

Hi, please let me know if I want to increase my earnings and reviews on Upwork as I'm starting a new Upwork profile so should I go with getting Direct contract clients? because upwork just charges you 3.4% fee for that but will it show any review or earning on my profile when I complete that job? if not, so what other way there can be to get review and earning increase by getting an outside client on to Upwork?

Hi Sana,

Since you and your client will only be using Upwork for payments, any Direct Contracts will not impact your Upwork reputation metrics (for example your Job Success Score or Top Rated status). These contracts also will not be included in your other Upwork profile stats, such as total earnings, number of jobs, etc.

I noticed you don't have a photo of yourself in your profile. Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile including your profile photo needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. Please check this article for more information on how to update your profile photo.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
shadywatson
Community Member

So I meet a client outside of upwork, We've been working for some time now, it's time to wrap up the project and get paid, I asked to give me a contract throught upwork, I want to get paid there. Is that legal? if it is legal do I also get the public review from him or should just take payment directly through our banks?

Hi Hamza,

I think it's very legal and would work in your favor for any future upwork job prospects if the client leaves a good public review for you. However the upwork service fees will reduce the amout you would have received directly through the bank.

Yeah, I'm fine with reduced amount. I'm hoping this step will lead into a stronger and a better upwork profile, I just had a little chat with upwork's support and they said this is legal.

rahana0204
Community Member

Hi,

Hope you are doing well. I'm not clear about withdrawal process for direct client funds. Do I need to give $3 charge if I want to withdraw funds (Earned from direct client contract) in my payoneer account?

Thanks

Hi Rahana,

Freelancers are charged a 3.4% payment processing fee. For example, if your earnings are $100 you'll be charged a payment processing fee of $3.40 USD. We won't charge you an additional freelancer service fee, only the 3.4%. Please note that all transactions are in USD.

Upon withdrawing your earnings, you will be charged for the withdrawal fee associated with the payment method you choose. For more information on Payoneer fees and timings, please check this help article

~ Joanne
Upwork
1e4317dc
Community Member

Pls can anyone assist me on how to Unarchive a completed Direct contract on my Upwork profile. 

Thank you for your prompt reply. 

3e793f5c
Community Member

Hello Upwork Community,

I have a client whom I have worked with in the past and now wants to work with me via Upwork. They want me to send them an hourly rate-based contract. However, they have a start date that's 2 weeks from today.

The Upwork Direct Client contract page doesn't appear to have a Start Date column (only an End Date). The client wants to sign the contract within the next 2 days but wants me to start after 2 weeks. How do I make this work?

Thanks!

I have faced this recently, although much more in the past.  Do not accept an offer until the client is ready for you to add time to the contract immediately.  In the past, Upwork penalized freelancers for zero-earnings contracts, which is a big risk with this contract.  Perhaps a bigger risk today, this client can also give you bad private feedback if you accept an offer and the client never moves forward.  

Think of this situation as a red flag, regardless of your past working relationship.  Unlike in a direct relationship situation (a contract with no payments or work just ceases to exist), there are real downsides for you to do this on Upwork.

Thanks Richard. I appreciate your reply and the word of caution.

Actually this client is a direct client of mine and I have a good working relationship with them. They have asked me to initiate a Direct Contract so the ball is in my court. 

Since I'm sort of restarting with them after a bit of a gap they need 2 weeks to get my credentials set up on their system and ship me a laptop. I can understand their situation.

I guess I'll send them the contract today but start billing them in 2 weeks. That should do, I guess.

8ce0d543
Community Member

Will the payments for direct contracts also be reflected in my Upwork profile earnings?

I look forward for the kind response of experts

e045630f
Community Member

I am currently working with a client and it had 3 milestones. Till now I was able to see contratc on my profile, but once the first milestone was completed and I asked payment from client the payment was added to my account but now I am not able to view that contract in my profile can anyone please help me with this? 

Hi Pravesh,

I see that the contract you're referring to is a Direct Contract. It can be found by clicking this icon on the top right corner of your screen. 

Since you and your client are only using Upwork for payments, this contract will not impact your Upwork reputation metrics (for example, your Job Success Score or Top Rated status). It also will not be included in your other Upwork profile stats, such as total earnings, number of jobs, etc. Feel free to check this article for more information. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
e045630f
Community Member

Thanks LuiggiR for the help!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths