🐈
» Forums » Support » How to do ID verification
Page options
Olatunde-Bada S Community Member

Identity (ID) Verification

Hello, I'm sat here losing my mind actually.

So I had issues with my Payoneer card and my account was disabled. But I did not remove it from my Upwork. Got a message 8 days ago from Upwork that I needed to reverify. I sent my digital NATIONAL ID on my phone to verify, it was rejected three times even though I explained several times. Used Friday and Monday to process a new one at the local government building in my city and got the official national identity slip I used to verify my account in the first place. It just got rejected again. WAS told it's a photocopy that a colored one is needed. On my life I have never seen a colored version of the official national identity slip in my country. Only colored thing I know we have is the identity card itself and that takes  months to process. HELP 

How will I get color when that's the official thing here and I actually also used it to register on Every single platform I've ever needed to reg my national identity on?

Dying...

Edit: The slip is issued by the NATIONAL IDENTITY MANAGEMENT COMMISSION (NIMC), Nigeria.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi Olatunde,

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

You may be asked to complete a visual verification and provide a valid government-issued ID. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria.

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile, including your profile photo, needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID and completing your Visual Verification anyways. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ AJ
Upwork

View solution in original post

655 REPLIES 655
Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Onibi,

Please allow 1-3 business days for the team to review and update your verification status.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Manish P Community Member

need help removing my profile from my previous employers client account.

A previous employer whom I worked for had myself listed as a freelancer on upwork under their agency. I need to remove my name and profile as a freelancer under this company. I am no longer in contact with the company. I am receiving numerous requests through many different mediums of jobs which I am not hiring for and have no access to that profile. This is becoming a big privacy issue for me.

Profile link - **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Manish,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here . Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Zeeshan N Community Member

I forgot the answer to the secret question and when I try to forget the password option is coming but I don't remember the password because I always login through google. Now I am facing this problem of asking for password on forgetting question and asking for answer on forgetting password. How I can Unlock my account?

Andrea G Community Manager

Hi Zeeshan,

If you forgot both your password and your security answer you can find advice in this help article.

~Andrea
Amer Nawaz M Community Member

Hi,
I have my drivers licence which is under 21 drivers licence and I also have my passport. Upwork asked me to verify my identity and I uploaded the licence photo but they were unable to verify it. Now my account is disabled. My full name is "Amer Nawaz Maan" and that is how it is written on the documents, before this I created an upwork account by the name"Amer Maan" and it had the same problem with ID verification so I thought maybe the name is getting in the way.  I deleted that account and now created one with "Amer Nawaz Maan" but still same issue. Please help..

Amer.

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Amer,

Thank you for your message. I checked your account and noticed that your ID verification was rejected as the document did not adhere to our verification guidelines. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Amer Nawaz M Community Member

Can I upload again or is my account disabled for life? ID Verification 

Hi Amer,

Thank you for reaching out. You can reupload the documents and retry verifying your identity.

~ AJ
Upwork
Leo Kyle G Community Member

leokyle_0-1680870734843.png

leokyle_1-1680870835979.png

Hi, I can't verify my ID, I can't find the Identity Verification Tab in the settings. Can someone help me?

Andrea G Community Manager

Hi Leo,

It doesn't look like you need to verify your account yet. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification in the future. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to users of Upwork. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account with more information on how you can complete the verification process.

~Andrea
Md Abu Ahsan A Community Member

Hello! I've submiteed my documents almost 24 hours ago. The identity verification mostly gets done in 15-20 minutes in Upwork but the delay over here is massive now. I wanted this to be solved!

Arjay M Retired Team Member

Hi Md Abu Ahsan,

Thank you for reaching out and following up here in the Community. I can see that you've already raised a couple of support tickets regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Mahmoud A Community Member

how can i verify my identity pls if i'm from egypt and just have the national id i don't have a passport ? , i've sent my national id and it got rejected !

Joanne P Moderator

Hi Mahmoud,

I checked your account and saw that one of our agents reached out to you about completing the verification process. Please check the information they sent you here and follow the provided details. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Fahad M Community Member

Can I am able to Verifymy Upwork account after 1 year?

Joanne P Moderator

Hi Fahad,

If you cannot verify your account by the deadline specified, your account will be placed on hold. The hold will not affect any active contracts you have. You can still work, but you will need to complete the verification process before getting paid or applying for new work. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Md Abu Ahsan A Community Member

I've submitted my documents almost 24 hours ago. Still didn't get any update. Dear moderators, kindly help me out to review my documents and verify my account. Thanks

Jesus H Community Member

So, I got an email in late March saying I needed to re-verify my identity.

I have no problems with this, and understand that it needs to be done from time to time.

However, when I went to do it on the website, I couldn't find the right category for my document (I have a resident card, but the option for that was permanent resident card, and mine is not permanent).

So I contact customer support on March 28th to ask for this. They ask me to send them a photo of my ID, and a bank statement or other utility bill where my address is available. I reply that the only thing I have available is the bank statement, but I am not comfortable sharing my account movements with them, so I ask it's if ok for me to redact those. I also said I could provide a "padron municipal", which is the official government proof of my legal address. They said they would check and come back to me. 
No one replied to me after that.
Since I needed to re-verify by April 1st, I do it by myself and choose the closest option to my ID (permanent resident card). It said it would ask me for front and back photos of my ID, but it only asked for the front photo, and said that it would take 1-3 business days to get reviewed. I email customer support again since I have received no answer.
I checked again a couple days ago and the website says I need to re-verify, even though I had already uploaded my ID and received no notification on what happened there. I upload my ID again and email customer support again and received a canned reply telling me I need to do the verification (when my issue is that I am not able to complete it for several reasons).
I checked again yesterday and the same thing happened! It's asking me to re-verify even though I have already uploaded my ID several times.
I have attached a screenshot of the last time I uploaded my ID and it says it;s being reviewed, and then again 2 hours later where it appears I have done nothing and need to do it again (you can see the date and time in the top right corner).

Please, someone contact me to help me get verified, as my account has limited functionality until it's done, and I keep getting only canned replies from customer service that does not address my issue at all. My original ticked has not received an update from upwork in over a week, and they tell me to stop opening new ones but offer no solution

Hi Jesus,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can see that you opened a support ticket regarding this issue and are now being assisted by one of our agents. Please feel free to update the ticket should you have further questions or concerns.

~ AJ
Upwork
Dmytro L Community Member

Hi everyone,

I am new to Upwork. So I don't know much, too much. I want to know how to get ID verification badge. Now I can't find where I can do that. Looking forward to hearing from anyone.

Thank you.

Zenebe M Community Member

To get an ID verification badge on Upwork, you need to complete the verification process. Here are the steps you need to follow:

1. Go to your Upwork account settings
2. Click on "Identity Verification"
3. Follow the instructions to upload a government-issued ID (such as a passport or driver's license)
4. After submitting your ID, you will be asked to take a selfie for verification purposes
5. Once your ID and selfie have been verified, you should receive the ID Verification badge on your profile.

Please note that the verification process may take a few days to complete. Also, Upwork may request additional documentation or information to complete the verification process.

Dmytro L Community Member

Hi Zenebe

I am glad to hear from you. Thank you very much. I have not the "Identity Verification" submenu. What's the matter?

Sophie A Community Member

I think you need to review your information and provide the right one. You say that you cannot submit proposal before getting ID verification but you get ID verification after getting first order. Which is it?

Zain A Community Member

I don't know why my software add this line but thanks for correction. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths