🐈
» Forums » Support » Identity Verification
Page options
Tushar S Community Member

Identity Verification

Hi Team, 

Today I got my Identity Verification tab in my settings, I have a few questions: -

Q.1) I don't have any last legal name so how are you guys gonna verify my Identity?

Q.2) In my UpWork profile, my current name is "Tushar Sharma", but legally I don't have a last name so what should I do next to get my UpWork Account Verified?

Q.3) My last name in my UpWork profile i.e. "Sharma" is used by me because it was required by UpWork account registration

Let me know your thoughts on it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Joanne P Moderator

Hi Tushar,

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

Freelancers requested to submit identification documents should submit any of the documents listed during the verification process. Note that the list is different for each country.

If you do not have any documents from the list, you can submit a different government-issued ID, ensuring it’s unexpired and valid. This will trigger a manual review process. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria. 

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile, including your profile photo, needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID and completing your Visual Verification anyways. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

2,385 REPLIES 2,385
Joanne P Moderator

Hi Luke,

I checked with our verification team, who confirmed that you have successfully submitted your document for verification. Please allow them time to review them and update you directly. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Anton Z Community Member

Hello! 

I have been trying to verify my location for 4 days. I live in Vietnam and i provided three documents - Visa, Bank card statement and my Electricity bill, with my first and last name and also with my address in Vietnam. But unfortunately upwork could not approve it. I have 1 more day to solve this problem. Could you help me? 

Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi Anton,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork
Samuel M Community Member

hello upwork team

my issue is i can't find id verification tab on the setting bar.it has been a month since i completed upwork account.could you fix it as soon as you can,thank you

Hafiz Saad H Community Member

Hi, 

I made my profile on work 1 week ago, then I submitted documents of ID verification when the notification popped up. But no reponse from the team about my documents and my account is ON hold due to that issue. I request you to please resolve this issue ASAP, as I needed to start work and hunt 

Nikola S Moderator

Hi Hafiz, 

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with the team handling your case and one of our agents will follow up with you on your support ticket as soon as possible to assist you further.

~ Nikola
Amaya A Community Member

Hi  ,

I need help from anyone on Upwork team please.

There was a request for identity verification. There were only 2 options for ID card  but I do not have a Driver's License or a passport. I only have a NIC. I tried choosing one of the above options and uploadind a photo of my NIC. But it wasn't successful.

(My NIC has 2 sides as in the details are in one side and the photo is on the other side.)

What can i do?

Vitaliy S Community Member

Hello. I am a citizen of Russia, now I am in Georgia. I can't pass location verification. I provided a pasted together photo of the apartment rental agreement. I know that the image cannot be edited, but I simply physically cannot photograph the entire contract at once because there are 4 pages each in Russian and Georgian versions. I cannot send a video or several photographs of a document in this form, only one photo. Can I somehow get my location verified by video or other way? From documents, I can only provide an apartment rental agreement and a stamp in my foreign passport stating that I entered Georgia more than six months ago. All this time I was in Georgia and did not leave its borders.

Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi Vitaliy,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork
Emma B Community Member

I already verified my ID and everything, the facial recognition isn't working, like at all... I've been trying since yesterday and its a bit annoying, I've been trying to work since yesterday... Please get back to me or even email me. 

Nikola S Moderator

Hi Emma,

We will look into this further and will get back to you once we have more information. Thank you.

Edited to add information. 

I checked and it looks like you were able to complete verification. Could you please clarify if you need further assistance?

~ Nikola
Samuel M Community Member

I can't find 'id verification' tab under setting menu,it has been a month since i completed my upwork process.pleas i need a solution as soon as possible.thank you

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/settings/contactInfo

Samuel

Afif A Community Member

I am unable to complete my Identity verification. I tried several times and the following are the error messages.  " We are sorry! We are experiencing a technical problem and cannot process your request right now. Please try again in a minute."

Please help me to solve this

Kushal P Community Member

It is easy to verify id on upwork.Try 2-3 times.

Adam Elder M Community Member

Same here.  Over an hour now.  Their Chat With Us AI bot help is ABSOLUTELY USELESS. Unable to even comprehend the problem.  It just keeps reassuring me that the site is up and fully operational.  So helpful.

Arjay M Retired Team Member

Hi Afif,

I checked and can't seem to replicate the issue you're describing. The system allows you to resubmit valid documents to complete the ID Verification. Please try clearing your cache and cookies or use a different browser.

Then, once you are ready to resubmit, access your Upwork account Settings and click the Identity Verification tab to continue. 
Please check this help article for more information. Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Kushal P Community Member

Deararjay,

i have a problem with connect.I received an email from upwork you have received 10 free connects on november 30 but i haven't received connects in my id.please fix my problem as soon as possible

Hi Kushal,

I took a closer look and confirmed that 10 Free Connects have been added to your account. You may validate this by visiting your Connects History page. Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Jihad C Community Member

Hi,

I'm just starting on Upwork and I had my ID verification yesterday. I completed the verification, but today I saw that my ID was rejected (it took 24 hours, which is a lot IMO). I guess it's because I gave only the front of my ID while my address is on the back (btw it was not mentioned during the process and I don't get how I can take a picture of both sides with only one photo). I clicked on the button "Continue" in order to resubmit my ID but I keep getting this message: "We are sorry! We are experiencing a technical problem and cannot process your request right now. Please try again in a minute."

I've been trying to reach out to a human agent to help me out, but I quickly understood that it's simply impossible on Upwork to talk to a human... That's really not cool especially if this kind of ID checks are very common. I didn't even start working on this platform that already want to quit. Not to mention that I'm paying €18 for a premium account, and I can't even have support when needed.

Can someone please help me get my account work fast before I cancel everything and go to the competition?

Thanks.

Hi Jihad,

I've checked on the status of your ID Verification and can also confirm that the document you've submitted has been rejected. However, the team has enabled your option to resubmit a valid government-issued ID, and I can't seem to replicate the error you're describing. Please see this screenshot for your reference.

Kindly consider submitting other alternate Valid Government-issued ID. You can also refer to the email sent by our review team for more information about acceptable documents and best practices when submitting your ID for approval.

Could you please try clearing your cache and cookies or use a different browser? Then log back into your account, and once you are ready to resubmit, access your Upwork account Settings and click the Identity Verification tab to continue. 
Please check this help article for more information.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Oliver C Community Member

Hi there, I am trying to verify my identity on here. But every time I try to take a photo with the camera as stated is needed it simply doesn't load. It just leaves me with a white box and then states "We are sorry! We are experiencing a technical problem and cannot process your request right now. Please try again in a minute."

Can anyone help?

Hi Oliver,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you with more information and further assistance in completing the ID Verification.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Robert G Community Member

Hello i have been trying to verify my identity for days can a member of support please reach out to me so we can get this resolved?

Hi Robert,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you with more information about the status of your profile and further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Sayed Durraiz A Community Member

Hi,

I created an Upwork account recently. I am required to verify my identity and I have already submitted a document to do so. In settings > Identity Verification tab it shows that I have already submitted the required document and states that:

"We're reviewing your documents and will get back to you within 1 business day."

But neither I received any verification nor any further request regarding document submission. Today, I received another email that if I fail to verify my Identity, my account will be suspended. 

Please help me to verify my accout urgently.

PFA a screenshot for reference.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths