🐈
» Forums » Support » Identity Verification
Page options
Audun N Community Member

Identity Verification

Gov. ID was not approved, and yet it worked on a different page.

Everything shows. It´s not a pristine picture, but everything´s perfectly legible. Not sure how I could take a better picture..

Is there a place I can send it for a personal verification ? 

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Ahmad,

If you are eligible or required to receive an “Identity Verified” badge, you can complete the two stages by going to Identity Verification in your Settings.

Freelancers requested to submit identification documents should submit any of the documents listed during the verification process. Note that the list is different for each country.

If you do not have any documents from the list, you can submit a different government-issued ID, ensuring it’s unexpired and valid. This will trigger a manual review process. Acceptable documents include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria. 

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile, including your profile photo, needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable. We understand you may have provided a name and/or picture that you would like to update now. If that’s the case, and you’re being asked to verify your identity now, please proceed with submitting your ID and completing your Visual Verification anyways. If there is any issue or mismatch, our team will reach out to you directly to assist you.

Note that we occasionally ask users to re-verify because periodic checks ensure their accounts continue to reflect accurate information. Our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible and we thank you for your contribution to keeping Upwork a professional and safe community.

If you don't see a way to verify, that may be because you're not eligible yet. Please know that verification cannot be requested, but is slowly being rolled out to all talent. If the team finds the need to verify your account, you will be notified through an email, or through a notification in your account.

Update:

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

- Pradeep

View solution in original post

2,538 REPLIES 2,538
Irina S Community Member

This is a problem faced by many freelancers. Please sign our petition. Upwork bans people, accusing them of falsifying ID

https://www.change.org/p/upwork-claimed-government-issued-id-fake-and-permanently-blocked-freelancer...

Angelo Marcyne C Community Member

Hi

I'm having issues with the verification. I tried multiple times but it's not accepting it. When I tried to speak with Upwork chat is says my account is suspended and to check my email for the reason, checked my email but I didn't see any suspension email, I checked on spam/junk. Nothing there.  I have NBI clearance that I use and it's still valid. Hoping that someone can help me as I need to work with a client soon and I dont want my account to be suspended. Thanks. 

Olga K Community Member

Hello dear UpWork support. I want to undergo passport and identity verification in order to get a check mark on my account. I took freelancing courses and am thinking of starting to work on your platform. Thank you!

It says on my verification page that they are starting a manual review. Do I need to wait an approximate 24-48 hours to see the results? 

Junie Grace A Community Member

Hi

Good Day!

It was really disappointing on my part after waiting for almost 4 days of verifying I've got a response from you that the ID got denied.

First,  You've mentioned that the ID should be a valid government issued photo ID (not a digital, expired or temporary) - which I can see is a VALID ID in the Philippines and requested it directly from the Bureau of Internal Revenue. If this is not considered a VALID ID then I need to make a complaint with BIR for issuing me a NOT VALID ID. I've also requested that last week from them for reissue and I couldn't see any reason for it to expire.
Second, you've mentioned a Do not crop or alter your image - which I can see that there is no way to crop the image because it is a system generated who is capturing the ID.
Third, as listed on your guidelines to Ensure all four corners of theID are visible- which I was able to do it successfully.  The image are also clear and in color

Lastly, These last guidelines you have - The ID name must match the information on your Upwork account. I would like to let you know that is the reason why I submitted an appeal for suspension because I accidentally put a space between my first name and as your response to me - you can only resolve the issue once I submitted the ID needed. How would the first name be matched on the ID if I have an appeal that I put a space between it from Juniegrace to Junie Grace ( which is the correct one. 

Also, I am just wondering why the list of the ID accepted has been shortlisted. You were able to inform me that NBI clearance is also a valid ID only in the Philippines but as per your response that is no longer included. I hope you'll be transparent with the information you're addressing especially to those who are new to this. I may have made a mistake by putting a space between my name but I am so disappointed with the outcome of your validation. Can someone  please explain to me further what happened to the ID that I have submitted. If it's not valid - please tell me the reason why? If it's not clear, Can I just send it here for verification and much easier validation of identity?

I hope someone can help me with it.

Thanks,

JUNIE GRACE ARANDIA
Nikola S Moderator

Hi Junie,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and it seems that you are already in correspondence with our team on your support ticketPlease allow more time for our team to review your case and respond accordingly to your ticket. You will be notified of their response.

~ Nikola
Mohamed Ali N Community Member

I done my identity verification process but it shows like that. what does it mean ? They started a manual review on my process ?

Screenshot_20240402_193245.jpg

Nikola S Moderator

Hi Mohamed,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Yes, it looks like our team is manually reviewing your case. Please allow more time for our team to review your case, if needed they will reach out to you directly. 

~ Nikola
Iurii Z Community Member

Hi, I'm stuck in the verification process. During the check it asked me to update my profile picture, and when it was done it started asking me to "Appear on camera", but there's no such button anywhere

84149b6d_0-1712064385834.png

Nikola S Moderator

Hi Iurii, 

I checked and it looks like you already have  an “Identity Verified” badge on your profile. Could you please let us know if you need further assistance?

~ Nikola
Valerii M Community Member

Yesterday, I completed my very first contract on Upwork. The client sent the payment. A few seconds AFTER the client sent the payment, I received a notification to verify my identity.

I experienced an identity verification issue at the stage where I was required to submit a photo of my Passport (Ukrainian passport) via mobile device. Please note the national Ukrainian passport is the only option. I have neither a driving license nor a plastic ID card. I don't have an international passport either.

Upwork’s camera cannot recognize my passport, although I follow all the tips, such as a well-lit environment, a background of a different color, etc. When the system asks me to take a photo of my passport, it also does not recognize the photo. The error message says: "We couldn't recognize your document."

I guess the issue persists because Upwork’s camera is vertically oriented while my passport is horizontally oriented (like an open book). 

I also tried a different mobile device and a tablet, but nothing worked. Interestingly, Upwork recognizes a tablet as a desktop device and keeps asking to continue on mobile…

I tried to submit a ticket, but the Upwork chatbot said my account was suspended. However, I did not receive a suspension notification email. Yes, I checked my spam folder. And yes, I have no trouble logging in!

I also tried to contact the UPWORK support team via email but UPWORK replied: "We have moved your support experience in order to provide you with faster, more personalized and direct support."

Where did you move it? Where is more personalized support? By the way, this email triggered a support ticket in my dashboard that was instantly closed.

At this point, I cannot reach out to the support team to resolve this verification issue! I cannot withdraw my funds either, as the security period has not cleared yet. It will be cleared in 5 days + 2 days to withdraw my funds to Payoneer. So 7 days in total. The funny thing is that my account will be suspended in seven days unless I pass an identity check! 

So I cannot complete the identity check. And I cannot get the payment for my hard work! Is there a way to UPLOAD (NOT TAKE A PHOTO) A PHOTO OF MY ID DOCUMENT VIA DESKTOP? Or contact a HUMAN REPRESENTATIVE to review my documents manually? Please help me!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Nikola S Moderator

Hi Valerii,

I am sorry for the frustration this has caused. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Valerii M Community Member

Thank you!

Luki S Community Member

hello dear staftt of upwork, i want to ask. In my setting profile, i didn’t find tab for identity verification, the tab is dissapear. Can you check my account and tell me what happen.

Thanks

0727eedd_0-1712076856538.png

Arjay M Retired Team Member

Hi Luki,

I took a closer look and confirmed that your account doesn't need further verification yet. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification in the future. Please understand that verification cannot be requested, but it is slowly being rolled out to Upwork users. Suppose the team finds it necessary to verify your account. In that case, you will be notified through an email or through a notification in your account with more information on how you can complete the verification process.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Luki S Community Member

Hey Arjay

Thank you for replying to my message. Is there an error with my account? I want to be a designer on Upwork

Hi Luki,

I see no errors or restrictions on your account. You can proceed with submitting proposals to potential clients and utilize the platform. Best of luck!

~ Arjay
Upwork
Muhammad Hamza I Community Member

Hi Upwork Team!

My problem is that I'm still not getting the identity verification option even though I've made my profile 100% complete. Please let me know why this option is not available yet & what's the problem with my profile. I'm waiting for your response.

Regards,

Muhammad Hamza.

Hi Muhammad Hamza,

I took a closer look and confirmed that your account doesn't need further verification yet. The team will let you know if there is a need for any verification in the future. Please understand that verification cannot be requested, but it is slowly being rolled out to Upwork users. Suppose the team finds it necessary to verify your account. In that case, you will be notified through an email or through a notification in your account with more information on how you can complete the verification process.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Konstantina K Community Member

I'm having trouble verifying my account on Upwork. I've uploaded my ID twice, but the platform doesn't recognize it. I even tried using my passport, but it still didn't work. I created a ticket to get help, but it just doesn't exist now. What is wrong? 

I am encountering the same issue and it's impossible to create a ticket as well. Please help. 

Even though the Picture is clear it is still not getting accepted. 

Joanne P Moderator

Hi Angelo Marcyne,

You will need to take a picture of your government-issued ID in order to verify your identity. The acceptable forms of ID vary by country and will be listed on the form.

• This ID must include your picture, signature, name, date of birth, and address, with the exception of passports, which don't need your address
  • The documents we accept include passport, national ID card (NIC/CNIC), driver's license, NBI Clearance (Philippines only), tax ID, voter ID, postal ID, or any other valid government-issued photo ID that meets these criteria.

You can find more information here

~ Joanne
Upwork
Joanne P Moderator

Hi Konstantina,

I checked your account and saw that the ID-verified badge has been added already. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Ahmed K Community Member

I am facing the same problem. Multiple times i tried but platform refuse to verify the identity

Joanne P Moderator

Hi Ahmed,

I checked with our verification team, and they have confirmed that you should now be able to proceed with the verification process. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths