🐈
» Forums » Support » Missing Features in The New look of the Messa...
Page options
youssefbahaa
Community Member

Missing Features in The New look of the Messaging

We lost the feature of being able to mark the important chat rooms as favorites. Also, I used to star some important messages to be able to find them easily in the Favorite messages; Now this feature is missing as well!

Is there any way to leave the option of returning back to the old version of messaging? Or can you please add these features to the new version?

Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

I'd like to circle back to this thread and let you know that the team has been reviewing feedback shared and working on fixes. We now have an update here on several issues and missing features that were mentioned here. Feel free to check it out.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

104 REPLIES 104

It’s a human nature that we do not want to let it down our old things, because we used-to after using for the long period. But it is also a truth that we should always be update from our old things to achieve perfectness.

As per my opinion, it is good improvements technically and reduced the time for loading messages as compare to old format. I also love the infinite scrolling instead of clicking on number points of pages.

it's a positive view: there are may be a few improvements. 

how do you copy/paste a client message?

how do you copy/paste code to show it with the initial indentation?

I am not talking about human nature here Piush. Its a simple question - can we switch back to the old message. I do not know about others, but I have switched from Windows 10 to 11, new version of Chrome, and new version of mobile apps happily. **Edited for Community Guidelines** Anyways, the question here is not about what you like or what I like. Its pretty simply and straight forward actually - can we switch back to the old version!

Then what you want to listen here Ritam?

If it is your simple question then the answer was also pretty simple that it is NOT possible at all as upwork has removed that option and we can not switch back. Who’s says to you that it was the question of our likeness? I just put my opinion like you did. Further, how someone can help you when everyone know there is no option remain after removing by upwork?

Please be patient, wait till they finish this job and try to understand my actual meaning of above paragraph (don't be take personal).

kieha85
Community Member

I am getting so incredibly sick of companies constantly changing their products simply because they have a room full of employees that they need to keep busy.

The new messages is absolutely horrible and in no way an improvement. Upwork has a long history of changing the layout for absolutely no reason at all and simply making the platform harder to use.

I am already searching for alternatives and will try to leave Upwork for good if I can. If anybody from the company is actually listening then PLEASE pass our feedback on to the developers and bring the old messages back. 

Agreed. For at least a year, I was using a shortcut to the old format of the message feed with "forced" in the URL, but that no longer works as of yesterday. I liked the ability to adjust the columns, plus the new format makes it harder to see when clients are online because the green dot is less visible and less of the preview in the left pane is visible. :///

The redesigned desktop app for messages (Windows) is basically unusable in reading actual messages unless expanded to full screen. Please re-add the ability to resize the Conversations, Messages, and Contact info tiles. Also, has this been redesigned for senior citizens? The font is absurdly too large. At least add a configuration setting for font size.

The desktop app continues to get worse with each iteration.

Yes, I logged on today to find that the size of my actual message window had shrunk significantly, and I don't see any way to resize it. The message pane is much smaller than it was before, which is counter-productive when the main reason I am on that page is to read messages.

Dunno if anyone from Upwork reads this, but an option to restore a bigger message window where I can see more text at once is sorely needed -- whether that's a "minimize sidebars" or a "use older layout" or something else.

Looks like there has been an update with UPWORK message server or API, can't reach MESSAGE API when VPN is turned on from my pc.

It works fine with NON VPN networks(regular).

Please give us the option to go back to the previous version! The new design is odd and I cannot even bare to look at the light green behind the clients and the spacing is so off. And the over curved corners, yikes.

I think Upwork is bored because this did not need an update.

I would have much rather seen improvements of features. For example, how is there STILL no "Download All" button for multiple files

It's also sluggish and non-responsive responsive design. Maybe they packaged a poorly written PWA into an application? And, THIS is what they're spending our new 10% fees and Connects costs on? Fail.

Aesthetics aside, the main issue is that the new design severely reduces the actual usable space, both in the message window itself, and in the conversations list. The result is that things like reading your messages or actually finding what you're looking for requires a lot more scrolling, thus reducing usability. Definitely needs a fix, whether that's an option to expand window size and minimize side windows, or just an option to use the old layout.

NikolaS

Hi All,

Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your feedback. I am sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. I assure you that we shared all reports with the appropriate team and our team is reviewing them as a priority.

We always try to listen to your feedback and improve the user experience as much as possible.

~ Nikola
Upwork
murphytechserv
Community Member

I no longer have the option to "Hide" or "Archive" a room. The 3 dots are missing. 

I can't edit a message.

When adding my team to the rooms, there is now NO WAY to tell which account I am adding (Freelancer, Agency, or Client).

This is insane. Pleasee switch my entire team back to the old format till you get these defects fixed.

murphytechserv
Community Member

So, it seems that your new Message Format doesn't work with Firefox. I can Hide, Archive, and Edit messages in Chrome and Edge. Why in the world would you roll this out without testing on all 3 of the major browsers????

Come on Upwork, BE BETTER!!!!

vradulac
Community Member

Since the browser version of Upwork Messenger has changed, I have a problem with the display and operation of this service. Namely, it works well in all browsers except mine (Safari, MACOS High Sierra on iMac 27-inch, Mid 2010). Until recently, there was an option to be able to go back to the old look, but either I can't find it any more or that option no longer exists. Is this just a mine problem or is it some Safari bug maybe? Does anyone else have this experience? I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Yes, it's terrible for me on both Safari and Chrome.  

Here's an earlier thread that was started about it:  https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Missing-Features-in-The-New-look-of-the-Messaging/m-p/10....  

sjulius09
Community Member

Hi there,

When using the mobile app and in the messages section, initially I was able to tap "View details" and on the "Job details" screen, I was able to tap "View job description" which took me to another screen where I was able to see the "Original Job Post" in its entirety. The option to take me to this screen is no longer available. Is this something that has been intentionally done?

Seems petty but this feature helped me to better prepare on the go, especially when I get a reply from a new client.

Thank you.

Julius S wrote:

When using the mobile app and in the messages section, initially I was able to tap "View details" and on the "Job details" screen, I was able to tap "View job description" which took me to another screen where I was able to see the "Original Job Post" in its entirety. The option to take me to this screen is no longer available. Is this something that has been intentionally done?

Seems petty but this feature helped me to better prepare on the go, especially when I get a reply from a new client.

I use this for longterm management of more complex projects. Seriously? You've take away access to the terms we've agreed to?

arunodoychanda
Community Member

If I'm writing a long message to my clients, I can only see the last 3-4 lines as the reply area is very small. I can't see the whole message at a time. I've to scroll it up and down. Is there a way to stretch the reply area in the message section?

-Arunodoy Chanda

Try clicking shut all the annoying Upwork banners higher up as that opens up the entire message box for me.  Otherwise, I can only see 3-4 lines of each message.  

I apologize but I didn't understand the solution you've mentioned. I'm using 4K  monitors, so I can see all the last messsages up there. What I can't see is, my long message that I'm typing (which is not sent) as the writting area is visible for last 3-4 lines only. I've to scroll the writting area up/down to check if I've written everything fine before posting.

I hope I described my problem correctly..!

ce622692
Community Member

How can we switch to the old chat?  The new chat system is EXTREMELY BAD.   There are dozens and dozens of posts about removed functionality, things not working, etc., on the Upwork forums, so I won't go and repost the detail here.

I need 1 solution:    Give me the ability to use the OLD Upwork chat until you completely fix your new chat.

Your "new" chat is so poor that I cannot get work done, and thus, I will be forced to hire and pay contractors outside of Upwork until this is fixed.  Upwork will no longer get money from me until this is fixed.

arrossi_joaquin
Community Member

Another feature that was removed, which I just noticed today, is that the Upwork emoji is gone!
I frequently used it with one client who needed a visual reminder when new milestones were sent. Anyways where is the company pride? It should be brought back.

sikandarali54
Community Member

Hi Upwork Community

Upwork had introduced new "Improved Messages" a few months ago. We freelancers had an option to use the old style or the new improved style. The "Improved Messages" had some new features like Bold, Italic, and other options that help to edit the text as per need. However, there was a problem, it did not update quickly. For example, when a new message comes and I read it and reply. After a few minutes, it shows as unread messages. It simply means that it takes time to get updated. There was no such issue with the old messages. We used the old system instead the improved messages, but now we have no option to switch to old messages as Upwork has launched the "improved messages". Thousands of people like me, might face these problems.

My question, is can the improved messages not be available again. So that we could use according to our needs.

Thanking you

Sikandar Ali Shah

Hi Sikandar,

Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your feedback. As of the moment, we don't have any update as to whether switching back to the old version will still be available. I am sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you. I will share your report with the appropriate team and we will review them as a priority to improve your overall experience with Upwork.

~ AJ
Upwork

Thank you for considering Jane!

ce622692
Community Member

How can we switch to the old chat?  The new chat system is EXTREMELY BAD.   There are dozens and dozens of posts about removed functionality, things not working, etc., on the Upwork forums, so I won't go and repost the detail here.

I need 1 solution:    Give me the ability to use the OLD Upwork chat until you completely fix your new chat.

Your "new" chat is so poor that I cannot get work done, and thus, I will be forced to hire and pay contractors outside of Upwork until this is fixed.  Upwork will no longer get money from me until this is fixed.

TO MODERATORS:  I am a CLIENT, not a FREELANCER.  I hire people.  Stop moving my topics.

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience regarding the update on Message Center. Rest assured, that I will share this with our team. Additionally, I can see that you're already in contact with one of our agents in this support ticket. You may also send them any other problems that you encounter with the new message center as we report them to the same team.

I have to also move your message to a different thread, with other clients' and freelancers' feedback so we can gather all your inputs in one place.

~ AJ
Upwork

"Additionally, I can see that you're already in contact with one of our agents in this support ticket. "

No agent has responded to me with an answer.

Stop moving my thread to an unrelated topic.   I want to know how to use the OLD CHAT.  I am not interested in giving feedback or otherwise assisting Upwork in doing your own job.

GIVE OLD CHAT

STOP MOVING MY TOPIC

damico-sebastian
Community Member

The problem I have is that since the last messaging update is working, my browser no longer loads the Google Translate plugin. Do you have any idea how I can solve this? Or is it possible to go back to the previous version of messaging?
I am using Google Chrome

joechiu
Community Member

Files which are accessed from the Files tab show up in the Links tab with incorrect URLs.  (Example shown: http://Baseboard-v1.zip)

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

mstirk
Community Member

I know you can make your typing field wider, but I'd really like to make it taller. When you're typing a long message, it's annoying to type in this tiny field. And even if my message is short, if I have to attach anything, I have to scroll down to make sure it actually attached. Really tiny nitpicky thing I know, but if they just increased the UI a little bit...

1.png2.png

isamybaxy
Community Member

While your point is valid, from a technical perspective, meetings will be held and issue discussed.
Time and planning will be spent deciding the best approach toward a solution to your request.
If it is a relatively small issue and approved by the team's product manager you'll see an update in the next stable or beta release. I am certain Upwork has noted your request, Erin Marie 🙃

damico-sebastian
Community Member

Thanks for the reply! I will be waiting for the support agent to contact me. But please, listen to the concerns of the users and go back to the previous chat!

gamjasvili-laris
Community Member

I had an interview and my potential client sent me information via Upwork message on last Tuesday, and I didn't see any email notification and even no new message on Upwork page.  Yes, I loggin on Upwork, and I see no notification on the page! and no email notification. He was not happy with responding late ( I accidentally see the mesage on Friday!) and then after appologizing, he accept to talk again and , again I didn't recieve any notification on Upwork and email! He messaged me everyday and I didn't see anything for 4 days! He ( my potential client) is right to be even angry with me! I loggin to Upwork everyday , I check my email all the time, and no new message, and no new notification. Even in message page, It's like it is read before! 

I will change my password but it is so wierd and I am pissed off that it represent me as an unresponsible freelancer (But I am very responsible and commited). 
Please help me.

* Can I give him my whatsapp number or email to avoid this? I am devasted and I don't want this happen again.

Hi Larisa,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

Please note as well that communicating outside Upwork prior to a contract starting is a violation of our Terms of Service.

~ AJ
Upwork
carlie-lawson
Community Member

Does anyone know how to archive a conversation now in the old or the new? For some reason, although I continued to use the old messages because it worked better, they seem to have disabled some features in it now. I have a growing list of conversations and only need to see the ONE that is active. I can no longer obtain the asterisk (*) that I used to be able to mouse over the right hand side of the window identifying the conversation and get rid of it. I just want to close them and never have to see them again.

How do I do that in the new or the old version now?

Hi Carlie,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused you. I have escalated your concern and one of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Arjay
Upwork
youssefbahaa
Community Member

I am not getting any notifications for any message that I receive. This is dramatically harming the business!

Can you please let us know a specific range of time Or a date on which we will see any improvements in the new messages or at least get the Old messages back until you fix the new one?

Thanks in advance!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths