🐈
» Forums » Support » Missing Features in The New look of the Messa...
Page options
youssefbahaa
Community Member

Missing Features in The New look of the Messaging

We lost the feature of being able to mark the important chat rooms as favorites. Also, I used to star some important messages to be able to find them easily in the Favorite messages; Now this feature is missing as well!

Is there any way to leave the option of returning back to the old version of messaging? Or can you please add these features to the new version?

Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

I'd like to circle back to this thread and let you know that the team has been reviewing feedback shared and working on fixes. We now have an update here on several issues and missing features that were mentioned here. Feel free to check it out.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

104 REPLIES 104

Same here.. I have to randomly check upwork or always keep a tab open.. even if I keep the tab open, only sometimes does it show in the favicon that I have a new message. This is really sad and I hope they fix this soon.

bookcoverdesign
Community Member

If they would just put the old messaging program back in place then we'd all be happy. But, no. For some inscrutable reason they decided to "fix" what wasn't broken which, obviously, has turned it into a disruptive disaster. It was just fine the way it was! The messaging used to work perfectly via my good ol' standby browser, Firefox. But now the messages are "frozen". I can't scroll back through previous messages from my clients. They only way I can even access a functioning message room now is via Gogle's Chrome browser and I hate the Chrome browser! 

61b7342c
Community Member

No search button in chat messages? Really ???

Hi Alper, 

Thank you for your message. I am unable to replicate the said issue as I can see a search box on the top left of the Message center. Could you please try again after clearing Cookies and Cache on your browser? You can also try using a different browser. Feel free to message us with a screenshot if problems persist.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
django_expert
Community Member

Hi Upwork.

I am facing an issue with the desktop Upwork messaging app.

I don't receive new messages or message voices when I am inactive for more than 30 minutes or more than 1 hour. it only works when I open my windows system. every option in the settings is on. still facing the issue.

Hi Abubakar,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
bookcoverdesign
Community Member

Is ANYONE at UpWork paying ANY attention to all the COMPLAINTS regarding the TERRIBLY DISRUPTIVE and completely unnecessary NEW MESSAGE SYSTEM???

At the very least, PLEASE provide us with a way to revert back to the PERFECTLY GOOD OLD MESSAGE SYSTEM!

joywriter
Community Member

I know I don't have to say a lot as to how much so many of us simply don't like the new messaging system. 

I have honestly tried comprehanding why a much better system was replaced with a less functional system but it's clear that the intent was to make the chat much lighter. 

A lot of features were stripped from the previous system and I wish we had an option to stick to the previous version but that's no longer possible.

Anyways, they know it's a matter of time. We'll get used to it one way or the other or we'll simply have to use the system while bitting a piece of wood as our OCD kicks in when you can't do 50% of the things you were used to doing it.

Hi Hugo,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We've been collecting feedback about the new Messages design and sharing them with the team. We'll be providing an update soon for most commonly requested improvements and feedback. 
As for the quote feature specifically, this has been changed based on feedback we've been getting over the years where users didn't appreciate that simply copying and pasting a message turned it into a quote. That's why that experience was changed. Now it works like it does in Slack and other similar communication platforms. It's still possible to quote a complete message using this option:

kochubei_valeria_0-1656520558704.png

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thank you Valeria! I hadn't seen that and am super happy to hear that! 🙂

What about quoting only the selected part of the message? This is basic functionality. If you're not going to bring back the copy/paste to quote, at least add a "Quote selection" option to the menu.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi all, 

I'd like to provide an update that the option to mark messages as "Favorite" should now be available in Messages again.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Yeah, but your favorites list appears to be inaccessible from the UI (no button to view them all for a given chat).

3e512263
Community Member

For every conversation in Messages, there is the option to "Hide".

I click on it, but I can't get it back. All I'm finding is that I have to search the contents of a discussion, and it will reappear. That is not at all adequate for me.

I need a place where I can see all hidden messages. Is there such a thing?

If not, can Upwork please add it!??

I've used Upwork for years now, and this has not been something I can do, and I really need to clean up my messages now.

In the messaging area, use the search that is to the left, just above your contact list. 
The hidden messages appear in the results.
-edit: i see that my suggestion does not cut it. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nitin, 

Could you please try searching for the hidden room by typing some keywords in this section of your Messages? The hidden room should be listed once you type a keyword that matches the room. I just tried it myself, and the rooms I hid popped up in the search results. 

As for adding a "Hidden room" feature, I'll make sure to share this feature suggestion with the team for their consideration

~ Avery
Upwork
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

I'd like to circle back to this thread and let you know that the team has been reviewing feedback shared and working on fixes. We now have an update here on several issues and missing features that were mentioned here. Feel free to check it out.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork
nuo-motion
Community Member

Its been over 3 months and the new Messages are still in progress? just let us roll back, we need: 1. Archive chats  2. Hide chats 3. Edit messages

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jonathan, 

Some of the updates have been posted here, as noted by Val in her reply here.

Let me share more information on the following items you followed up on: 

1. Archive chats -Users with admin or owner rights can archive group workrooms that aren't tied to an active contract by selecting "Archive." The "Archive" button is not available for an interview or contract room, however. If you want to archive group work rooms, you can click on the "three-dot menu" as shown here and click on the "Archive room" option. 
  2. Hide chats - You can hide chats by clicking on the "three-dot" menu as shown here, and clicking on the "Hide" button. 
  3. Edit messages - You can edit messages by clicking on the "three-dot" menu beside the star/favorite button, as shown here.

Let me know if these options are not available on your end, so that our team can assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork
ingologe
Community Member

I used to be able to SEARCH my messages for key words on things I needed to find or downloads and work sent to me... now it is a hunt for everything... WHY DID YOU REMOVE that wonderful feature? Not happy about Chrome sign in issues as well... TERRIBLE GUYS TERRIBLE

Hi Ingo - You can still Search for keywords in your messages... Here is how:
When you are in your message tab, on the top left corner you can find a search bar; once you type anything in it, you'll see 2 filters [People & rooms OR Messages]. Just like in the image attached
Search.jpg

I hope this helps 🙂

0e6a5c04
Community Member

partial quote doesn't work. this was  very useful. my develops can reply in a huge parapgraph, and when I want to focus on something specific they say, I can no longer do this. your user research apparently wasn't thorough enough if you deem this option as not useful. you could at least give us a keyboard shortcut to copy quote a partial message, if you didn't want it a default any more. 

yura_yura
Community Member

Hi! 
Any way to quote messages in the iOS app? I can see only two options - "copy text" and "report message".
In general I've got a few issues on the smartphone app and would be great if they're getting fixed anytime soon, for example now I can't see a client's timezone in the mobile app, no "quote" option, the bottom buttons stay on the screen and overlapping the keybord when I open messages and the keyboard, also notifications come in batches 5-10 minutes after they were initially sent by the client and so on. At least links are clickable now and they're not just a text. Not sure if that's an issue only on iOS, but if there's a way to bring back the time-zone display and quote option please let me know.
Thank you.

kieha85
Community Member

I think it's time we all faced the truth that Upwork is simply a badly run company. Their UX team is obviously incompetent and I don't see this changing for the better because they have been ignoring our feedback for years and just implemented their own stupid **bleep**ing ideas

bogdan2451629
Community Member

With all appreciation to the platform, the new UI is very bad (bad it's a very soft word)

What's important for me it's my productivity using Upwork Desktop and iOS messaging apps
I couldn't use the feature "mark as unread" in either iOS/MacOS APPs after the update. It's very, very important feature.
UI elements becomes 2 times bigger which as mentioned by others pushing me to scroll and scroll.
If there would be an option to select a size of UI elements like small/mid/big that's probably wouldn't be as critical.
What I can remark it's round corners, less features and usability downgrade.

Old UI not perfect, but much better than current

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths