🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: my payment method is still inactive.
Page options
Zaki M Community Member

Payment Method Inactive !

Hello ! It's been five days since i added payment method to local bank. But it's still inactiave. No Response or Verification email from upwork.Can you please tell me how long it will take to active ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andrea G Community Manager

Hi Zaki,

If your payment method is inactive, it can be because of one or both of the following reasons:

It was added in the last three days: For security reasons, any new payment method will become active in three days. 

You need to provide your tax information: In order to access their funds, all freelancers who are U.S persons should file a Form W-9 with Upwork. You sign electronically by submitting the form.

If you’re not a U.S.taxpayer you’ll need to file a Form W-8BEN instead. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Tip: You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

Update:

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea

View solution in original post

861 REPLIES 861
Faizan A Community Member

Hey, I have added first direct to bank account method before 10-12 day and I waited 3 days for Bank method get active but it was showing inactive then I added Paypal method, it became active after 3 days but direct to bank account method is still showing inactive. I have also added tax information but still , the direct payment method is not being activated.

What should I do to activate my direct to bank account?

Please help me to sought out this problem.

Thank you.

Hey, there is showing payment method is inactive. I also filled W-BEN tax form before Bank information but still inactive is showing. Please help me to sought out this problem.

Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi Faizan,

Thanks for reaching out. I checked your account and can confirm that the payment method is now active. In general, when you set up a new payment method, it will become available for use 3 calendar days after it has been added for security reasons.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hello, as you said, I added another payment method but still my account is showing inactive.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Nikola S Moderator

Hi Faizan,

Thank you for following up and sharing a screenshot from your end. I would like to clarify that the inactive message you're seeing is specific to the new payment method you added, and not your account. This new payment method will become active after 3 days like the previous one did, and if you add another one, it will go through the same process.

You can find more information in this help article

Edited to add information. 

~ Nikola

Hey, I have added first direct to bank account method before 10-12 day and I waited 3 days for Bank method get active but it was showing inactive then I added Paypal method, it became active after 3 days but direct to bank account method is still showing inactive. I have also added tax information but still , the direct payment method is not being activated.

Thank you.

Luiggi R Moderator

Thanks for following up, Faizan. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi

Thanks, I will be waiting for your agent.

Thank you.

Ashik Hossain M Community Member

Hello! Actually I added a payment method via direct bank withdrawal more than 3days ago and it still shows "inactive" under it,

i completed my tax information, the W-8BEN because I am a non-us citizen and still says "inactive" on my payment method. I added the payment method on 07-09-2023 And now it's 15-09-2023. My question is ''Is there any problem in my bank information ? or why it takes so many times ?

can someone help me ? I am worried about this but i didn't find any mail or confirmation regarding this.

Thanks

Arjay M Retired Team Member

Hi Ashik Hossain,

I took a closer look at your account and can confirm that you still need to provide your Tax Identification Number to complete your Tax Information. This is the number that your country uses for collecting your tax information and may have a different name, such as PAN in India, for example.

Some countries may use a National ID number. You may be able to find information about your country’s TIN here. If you have questions about your number, consult a tax advisor in your country or contact your local tax authority.

As mentioned in the message on your Tax Information page, this is required to confirm if you are a U.S. or non-U.S. taxpayer and whether or not Upwork is required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Add your tax information now to avoid delays in getting paid.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Hanna I Community Member

I have added a payment method for withdrawals. However, the payment method was not active for several days. Can you help me activate a payment method? I have tried various payment methods?

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Hanna,

Thank you for your message. I checked your account and I am pleased to inform you that your payment method is already accepted. Please update your Tax Identification Number on the Tax Information page to activate your payment method.

- Pradeep

Omar I Community Member

I have selected withdrawal methods Directly to the local bank, but more than three days have passed and it is still inactive, noting that I filled in the tax information and the name in my personal file is identical to the name I used in the withdrawal method.

Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi Omar,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork
Franck Eudes A Community Member

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my upwork concerning the payment method. I chose payoneer as my payment method from Saturday 16 September until today, and I see that my payment method is still inactive.

Can you tell me more about this problem?

JoAnn T Community Member

SAME HERE! I cannot get paid

Hi JoAnn,

I've checked your account and can confirm that your new payment method is now active and ready for use. Let us know if you need further assistance. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hi Frank Eudes,

I've checked your account and can confirm that you still need to complete your Tax Information before the activation of your payment method. Please know that if you’re not a U.S. taxpayer you’ll need to file a Form W-8BEN. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. 

You're almost done though. You just need to provide your Tax identification number. This is the number you use for reporting taxes in your country and may be referred to by a different name, such as a PAN number in India, for example. Some countries may also use a National ID number. To complete your Tax Information, you just need to go to Settings > Tax Information > Tax identification number.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Franck Eudes A Community Member

Thank you, I've just completed my tax details and I'm waiting for my payment method to be activated.

52256dd7_0-1695168678855.png

Muneeswari R Community Member

I'm so new to earning money. I have huge doubt.I am not paying any tax by now then how can i add my name as taxpayer.

Hi Muneeswari,

I checked and can confirm that you still need to complete the W-8BEN form to activate your payment method. This is a U.S. tax form for non-U.S. Persons. We and the IRS use them to determine whether you live in the U.S. and what taxes, if any, we need to collect from your earnings on Upwork. You must have this form on file before you can withdraw earnings from Upwork.

It looks like you haven't completed the "Tax Identification Number" section. You can go to Settings › Tax Information> Tax Identification number to complete the form. Feel free to check this help article for more information and detailed instructions on how to complete your Tax Information. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
Valeria G Community Member

Upwork is asking me to fill out the form Form W-8BEN, in wich I need to enter my tax identification number (TIN) to prove that I'm not a US citizen. The problem is that I don't pay taxes in my country (Panama) because I'm unemployed and I've never had a job either (I'm an architecture student). I hope to do small to medium lenght jobs on Upwork whenever I have the availability to earn extra income, however, at the moment because of my current situation it is not possible for me to acquire a TIN, what can I do to continue working on Upwork and be able to withdraw my earnings?

Hi Valeria,

This is the number that your country uses for collecting your tax information and may have a different name, such as PAN in India, for example. Some countries may use a National ID number. It is necessary to complete your Tax Information and for us to activate your payment method for withdrawals.

You may be able to find information about your country's TIN here. If you have questions about your number, consult a tax advisor in your country or contact your local tax authority. Let us know if you need further assistance, and we'll look further into that for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Ho I Community Member

I got a notice as follow:

Action required: Withdrawal methods are currently inactive. Please provide your tax information to withdraw earnings. For more details, read our FAQs.
I used my bank account to get paid before and I don't know what's the problem.
Please help for this matter, thank you!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths