🐈
» Forums » Support » My Payment Method is Inactive
Page options
fd440770
Community Member

My Payment Method is Inactive

Your withdrawal method isn’t active yet. For security reasons, you need to wait 3 days after you add a new withdrawal method before you can use it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LuiggiR

Hi Huzaifa,

If your payment method is inactive, it can be because of one or both of the following reasons:

• It was added in the last three days: For security reasons, any new payment method will become active in three days. 
  • You need to provide your tax information: All freelancers who are U.S. persons should file a Form W-9 with Upwork to access their funds. You sign electronically by submitting the form.

If you’re not a U.S. taxpayer, you must file a Form W-8BEN instead. The Form W-8BEN is used to confirm that you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Tip: You can use your legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43
LuiggiR

Hi Huzaifa,

If your payment method is inactive, it can be because of one or both of the following reasons:

• It was added in the last three days: For security reasons, any new payment method will become active in three days. 
  • You need to provide your tax information: All freelancers who are U.S. persons should file a Form W-9 with Upwork to access their funds. You sign electronically by submitting the form.

If you’re not a U.S. taxpayer, you must file a Form W-8BEN instead. The Form W-8BEN is used to confirm that you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Tip: You can use your legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
3def08b0
Community Member

Hello , I am a freelancer on Upwork . I have filed for an itin and i am waiting to receive it so I can update my tax information. I was told by  Upwork chatbox until then Upwork will be witholding tax earnings at 24 - 30 percent . I am perfectly fine with that. However , none of my payment methods are working , even though I am submitting the exact name that I have listed on my Upwork account "Isaac Oseitutu" , and it is saying I have to submit tax information. This is not what I was told previously so I would like to withdraw my earnings and get taxed at the withholding tax rate until my ITIN comes in the mail. How long will it take to start receiving my payments and can you help me with entering a withdrawal method I have tried numerous times.

""For U.S. taxpayers without a valid SSN, EIN, or ITIN, Upwork is required to withhold 24% of your earnings for tax purposes. This is a standard IRS backup withholding rate." - Bot response

"Yes, you can start taking clients and receiving payments without your ITIN. Upwork will withhold 24% of your earnings for tax purposes until you provide a valid ITIN."- Bot response

"If you do not provide a valid SSN, EIN, or ITIN within 15 days of being notified of an error, Upwork is required to withhold 24% of your earnings."-Bot response

Hi Isaac,

Thank you for reaching out. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
majid-awan
Community Member

I added my bank account as withdrawal method few days ago,
I got the email saying my profile picture doesn't match my ID and also upwork name does not match the bank account title.
I fixed both issues many days ago, but no response from Upwork.

I am not even sure weather my ID was verified or not as I don't see the ID verified badge.

I have a client I want to bring to Upwork but this is blocking me.
Please help me with the next steps.

thanks,
Majid

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Majid,

I've escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will contact you soon with more information about the status of your payment method and to assist.

The ID verification we initially processed is to clear the beneficiary name mismatch" issue on your payment method. I have checked your account; it doesn't need further verification yet. If the team finds the need for you to do it, you will receive an email detailing the instructions for completing your verification specifically for the badge. I hope this clarifies.

~ Arjay
Upwork
f5d5d2cd
Community Member

Hi everyone! I need some help here.

I have set up the payment method, but it has not been activated yet due to the 3-day security rule. However, the payment schedule is set to quarterly, which means Upwork is going to transfer the money tomorrow.

What will happen if the money is scheduled to be transferred, but there is no active payment method?

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your message. I checked and can confirm that your payment method is already active now. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.

- Pradeep

Upwork
bf5bd10a
Community Member

I am from algeria and i dont hacr a TIN 

(Taxes) what will i do?

Hi Nour,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
c3e29731
Community Member

Why has my withdrawal method been inactive so far?

Hi Nesra,

I checked and it appears that your withdrawal method isn't active because you haven't provided your Tax Information yet. More specifically, you are missing your Tax Identification Number. This is the number that your country uses for collecting your tax information and may have a different name, such as PAN in India, for example. You may be able to find information about your country’s TIN here. If you have questions about your number, you will need to consult a tax advisor in your country or contact your local tax authority. Don't hesitate to visit this article for additional details on completing your Tax Information. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
c3e29731
Community Member

But I am unable to provide a Tax Identification Number (TIN) because, as a freelancer in Ethiopia, I am not eligible to obtain one.

Could you please advise on how I can proceed in this situation? 

Hello Nesra,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist. You can access your support ticket here

~Ivy
Upwork
8eb016b8
Community Member

Hey Pradeep, thanks for getting back to me.

I figured out what was wrong with my payment method. I accidentally put in my card number instead of my bank account number on Upwork. I fixed it and updated it with my personal bank account number. Could that be the reason for the issue? However, now I'm getting the "mismatch beneficiary name" problem again after updating the payment method information.

8eb016b8_0-1721133601359.png8eb016b8_1-1721133615283.png

I have also reached out to my bank to verify the situation, and they have confirmed that there have been no incoming payments from Upwork to my account. They have suggested that there may have been an error in the bank account information, which I've fixed.

Can you please help update the status and resolve this issue? Thanks!

Hi Jeffry,

Please allow up to 4 business days for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it.

~ Nikola
Upwork
8eb016b8
Community Member

Hi Nicola, Thank you for your response.

I had a similar issue last week and Pradeep helped me out by changing my name on the certificate of earnings from "Jeffry S" to "Jeffry Hasiholan S," which fixed the problem then. However, it seems that the certificate still doesn't show my full legal name, "Jeffry Hasiholan Sinambela". I need this to be updated to match my bank account name exactly.

8eb016b8_0-1721169463834.png

I believe that the same process Pradeep used to update my name previously may be the solution to this issue. If it is, I would greatly appreciate it if this could be fixed right away so we don't have to wait for 4 days. If not, I understand and will wait as advised. Thanks again for your help.

Welcome back, Jeffry. 

I have shared your concern regarding your with our team. One of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to provide you with the necessary assistance. You can access your ticket on this page.

~Ivy
Upwork

Hi Ivy, thank you for sharing my concern with the team. I’ve submitted a support ticket with all the details. I appreciate your help and look forward to resolving this issue.

38b3b144
Community Member

Could you please help me add a 'get paid' method to my account? I've tried several times, but it hasn't been approved. Could you suggest the correct way to do this?

Hi Colin,

I checked and see that your payment method is inactive because you need to provide your tax information. Note that all freelancers who are U.S. citizens should file a Form W-9 with Upwork to access their funds. You sign electronically by submitting the form.

~Ivy
Upwork
34e92018
Community Member

Why is the withdrawal method not active yet?
when my withdrawal method will be active.
Could you please assist me?

Hello Surojit,

Thank you for your message. For security reasons, your new payment method will become active three calendar days from the day you added it, which is August 6, 2024. You can learn more here

~Ivy
Upwork
reazsami
Community Member

I added a bank account with Upwork but it shows inactive. 

What should I do now?

Hello MD Reaz,

I checked and it appears that your withdrawal method isn't active because you haven't completed your Tax Information yet. More specifically, you are missing your Tax Identification Number. This is the number that your country uses for collecting your tax information and may have a different name, such as PAN in India, for example. You may be able to find information about your country’s TIN here. If you have questions about your number, you will need to consult a tax advisor in your country or contact your local tax authority. Don't hesitate to visit this article for additional details on completing your Tax Information. 

~Ivy
Upwork
3aa119e1
Community Member

Hello, I'm currently encoutering the same issue. Because of my carelessness, I typed my nickname instead of my real name in the verified name field (I don't know how to view my verified name or how to submit a support ticket). I discovered this issue when updating my payment method and the system indicated that the name on the card did not match the name I had updated on Upwork. How can I contact Upwork to provide the necessary information and resolve this problem?

Hello Nhi,

Thank you for reaching out. I checked and it appears that the name mismatch on your withdrawal method has been cleared. However, it isn't active because you haven't provided your Tax Information yet. More specifically, you are missing your Tax Identification Number. This is the number that your country uses for collecting your tax information and may have a different name, such as PAN in India, for example. You may be able to find information about your country’s TIN here. If you have questions about your number, you will need to consult a tax advisor in your country or contact your local tax authority. Don't hesitate to visit this article for additional details on completing your Tax Information. 

~Ivy
Upwork

Hello Ivy, 

I cannot see Vietnam in the list you sent. And I also tried to search my individual tax number (TIN) on Vietnamese government website, but there were no results. What should I do?

Best regards,

Dasein.

12d3419e
Community Member

Hello Upwork Team,

I added my bank details to my account over 72 hours ago, but the bank information has not been activated yet. I urgently need this resolved. Could you please address this issue as soon as possible?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Hi Zonish,

I checked your account and can confirm that your payment method is successfully added to your Upwork account on Aug 11, 2024. There is a 3 days security period applicable to all new payment methods before they are active on your Upwork account for withdrawal.

- Pradeep

Upwork
a0578e00
Community Member

Dear Upwork Support Team,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to report an issue with my bank account on Upwork. Although my bank details have been entered correctly and have been verified 100%, my account remains inactive. I have waited over three days for this issue to be resolved, but unfortunately, there has been no progress.

Given the urgency of this matter, I would appreciate your prompt assistance in resolving this issue as soon as possible. Additionally, I would like to know the steps I should take if this situation arises in the future to avoid similar delays.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your swift response.

Best regards,

Abdelrhman M.

Hi Abdelrhman,

I am sorry to learn that you are having issues with your payment method. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket and one of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~Ivy
Upwork

Where none talk to my to solve the problem

Thank you for getting back to us, Abdelrhman. Upon checking, I see that the handling team is currently reviewing the issue. I have also shared your post with the team for follow-up. Please allow more time for our team to review your case. You will be notified of their response.

~Ronna
3f40ac49
Community Member

I have the same problem, the name on both my linked payment and financial account is the same but the error says different name. Can someone help me please

Hello Sherwin,

I checked your account and it appears that the name mismatch has been cleared. However, your withdrawal method isn't active because you haven't provided your Tax Information yet. More specifically, you are missing your Tax Identification Number. This is the number that your country uses for collecting your tax information and may have a different name, such as PAN in India, for example. You may be able to find information about your country’s TIN here. If you have questions about your number, you will need to consult a tax advisor in your country or contact your local tax authority. Don't hesitate to visit this article for additional details on completing your Tax Information. 

~Ivy
Upwork
38b88860
Community Member

My payment is inactive. 

Hi Konara,

I'm sorry to hear about the status of your payment method. I'll be glad to help. I checked and see that your Tax information is not complete yet; this is why the payment method shows inactive at the moment. Specifically, you need to enter your tax identification number in Manage finances > Tax information for your payment method to become active. You can visit these helpful pages to learn more:

~Ronna
f4452054
Community Member

Hi

I am just sorting my payment method and it says I need to complete either a W-8 or W-9 form for tax purposes. I can't see where to do this or find it on the platform. It just sends me in circles. Any help will be appreciated.

Hi Samantha,

Thank you for sharing your concern. You can go to Manage finances > Tax information to complete this information. You can learn more by visiting this helpful article

~Ronna
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths