🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Inactive
Page options
Zaki M Community Member

Payment Method Inactive !

Hello ! It's been five days since i added payment method to local bank. But it's still inactiave. No Response or Verification email from upwork.Can you please tell me how long it will take to active ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andrea G Community Manager

Hi Zaki,

If your payment method is inactive, it can be because of one or both of the following reasons:

It was added in the last three days: For security reasons, any new payment method will become active in three days. 

You need to provide your tax information: In order to access their funds, all freelancers who are U.S persons should file a Form W-9 with Upwork. You sign electronically by submitting the form.

If you’re not a U.S.taxpayer you’ll need to file a Form W-8BEN instead. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Tip: You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

Update:

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea

View solution in original post

861 REPLIES 861
Manav C Community Member

Dear Goran

Thank you for the details

Please note I am a non-US tax payer and the form asks me for. Legal business name

I don’t know what to put there as I don’t have a business of my own and I am aa freelancer

Goran V Retired Team Member

Hi Manav,

Feel free to add your full legal name and submit the form once you're ready. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Yousuf A Community Member

I fill out W-8BEN form but haven't my bank account been activated yet. please check and help out me.

Annie Jane B Retired Team Member

Hi Yousuf,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
Nikola S Moderator

Hi Zaki,

Can you please try and complete the W-8BEN form under Settings > Tax Info, which purpose is to

confirm you're not a US taxpayer. You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents. Let us know if the issue persists.

~ Nikola
Zaki M Community Member

Thanks Nikola ! I completed the W-8BEN form and now The Problem is solved.

Bao N Community Member

Hello Nikolas,

Would you mind having a look at my situation? I completed my W8-BEN form as well and verified that my payment methods - debit card and PayPal - were valid, but they remained inactive since yesterday! Please let me know in advance! Thank you very much!

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Bao,

Thank you for your message. I see that you have added a US address to your account. In order to activate your payment method and withdraw earnings, please complete a W9 Form

Thank you.

Pradeep H.

Islam H Community Member

Hello
I added my payment method last Sunday, and till now it wasn't accepted (still inactive) is there any issue? and I'm not a US citizen, why should I fill the tax information

Bojan S Community Manager

Hi Islam,

Can you please complete the W-8BEN form in order to activate your payment method? You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

Let us know if the issue persists.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Yasir E Community Member

My payment method says it will be active on 16 jun but when I click on get paid Iget thats its inactive for security reasons and wait 3 days. I completed the W-8BEN and it's still inactive. What should I do?

Joanne P Moderator

Hi Yasir,

It should be activated in 3 days. Please check again within 24 hours for your payment method to become active. Please feel free to let us know if you are still not seeing it as active. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Miator V Community Member

Hello,

I added my PayPal account but it showed inactive. Why is it that way?

Aleksandar D Community Manager

Hi Miator,

In order to make your payment method active, you need to complete the W-8BEN form which is used to confirm you're not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. To complete the form, you can go to the Settings > Tax Information page. You can add your legal name and address as they appear in your government-issued documents.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Payton D Community Member

Hi. My payment is inactive and I have filled out my tax information and it has been 3 days. Can you help?

Arjay M Retired Team Member

Hi Payton,

Thank you for your message. I have checked and it looks like you need to provide your tax information: In order to access their funds, all freelancers who are U.S persons should file a Form W-9 with Upwork. You sign electronically by submitting the form. You can complete the form by going to Settings> Tax Information> W-9 on this page.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Alex S Community Member

Hi my payment method is also inactive and i put in my payment information 2 weeks ago and filled out the w9 form. Please help.

Hi Alex,

I took a closer look at your account, I can see that your new payment method is now active and ready for use. Let us know if you still need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Fatima Elkhanssa H Community Member

I chose a payment method

I entered the information

In the end he wrote me inactive

what does that mean?

Nikola S Moderator

Hi Fatima,

Thank you for reaching out to us. For security reasons, when you set up a new payment method, it will become available for use 3 calendar days after it has been added. You can find more information here

~ Nikola
Fatima Elkhanssa H Community Member

Thank you

Andrea G Community Manager

Hi Zaki,

If your payment method is inactive, it can be because of one or both of the following reasons:

It was added in the last three days: For security reasons, any new payment method will become active in three days. 

You need to provide your tax information: In order to access their funds, all freelancers who are U.S persons should file a Form W-9 with Upwork. You sign electronically by submitting the form.

If you’re not a U.S.taxpayer you’ll need to file a Form W-8BEN instead. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Tip: You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

Update:

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
MD S Community Member

Thank you, It worked😊

Akshat K Community Member

Hey, I am having the same issue, My payment method is inactive and my payment was processed by up work 4 days ago.

My form W-8BEN is also complete.

Hi Akshat,

I have checked and can confirm that your payment method on file is currently active. I have also checked the transaction you're referring to and it was successful on our end. Please note that Direct to Local Bank transactions may take up to four business days to arrive at your bank. If the transaction still hasn't reflected on your account after eight business days, let us know and we will assist you further. Please also take note that bank holidays both in the U.S., and in your location may affect these withdrawals.

In the meantime, please read this help article for more information about Direct to Local Bank Timing and Fees.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths