🐈
» Forums » Support » SCAMS
Page options
Bonnie M Community Member

SCAMS

So far the only responses I have received have been from what feels like scammers.  One wants me to sign up for an account with SoFi, another wants me to evaluate breast tape and I think take pictures, another is a request to do transcription of audio file and they want an account created with Skype and to add their "HR" person's name to my account to be invited to interview.  Do people get legitimate work on this website?

4 REPLIES 4
John H Community Member

You should report them and get the postings kicked off. That's so odd.

Adam P Community Member

Hi Bonnie. If it feels like it's a scammer it's definitely a scammer. No good/ real client is going to want you to sign up for something pre-contract. Real clients will be happy to do things correctly through the platform. I see that you don't have too much experience on the platform, so most likely they're seeking you out as somewhat that's vulnerable and may fall for it. Like John said, please report it because that definitely helps flag bad posts. There's an incomprehensible amount of job posts, so this is a major way of them catching wind to bad behavior. 

Arjay M Retired Team Member

Hi Bonnie,

Thank you for reaching out and reporting this here in the Community. We totally understand why you're upset and I'm sorry to learn about this experience. Firstly, sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork's Terms of Service, and all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork.

I've shared your report with our Trust & Safety team for further review. They will surely look closer into this for you and take action accordingly if necessary. We also encourage you to let us know if you find anything suspicious has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

Additionally, you may want to check this help article and this thread for more information on how to stay safe on Upwork.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Irina I Community Member

Yes, there are good/serious jobs on this site. 

I usually refuse job invites because many feel like scams or pay too low. Occasionally, they're for a field that has nothing to do with the service I offer or my qualifications. 

There are indeed many job postings that make the site appear as non-trustworthy. 

The biggest scam on the site right now seems to be related to applying for jobs, where they made it so that we use as many connects as possible - buying 2000-6000 connects or however much i need just to be at the top in a job posting makes me lose money instead. 

Good luck!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths