🐈
» Forums » Support » The beneficiary name is mismatched
Page options
laura14128
Community Member

The beneficiary name is mismatched

Hello there,

at my payment methods it says that the beneficiary name is mismatched, I guess because my surnames in my bank account have accent marks and in my Upwork profile I can not put them.

Any chance you could have my payment method activated already?

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ArjayM

Hi Laura,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

If it’s been more than 48 hours and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, a quick way to contact support is by clicking the "Get Support" button that shows at the bottom right corner of this page.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork

View solution in original post

828 REPLIES 828

Hi Rainhard,

I can see that you already raised a ticket to the Customer Support team with your concern. Please allow more time for them to check this and assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
sayeedislam
Community Member

I added ACH account but it says "The beneficiary name is mismatched". And on the top it says "Payment method verification in progress". Its over48 hours now. 

I entered my name correctly, by first name and last name, also full name. Same thing happened when I added my new Canadian bank account but it resolved within few hours. What makes it behave differently? Why its taking longer for ACH account to become active?

sayeedislam_1-1658077268913.pngsayeedislam_2-1658077326859.png

Hi Sayeed,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I can confirm that you should no longer see this error on your end, as your beneficiary name has been approved. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
penny671
Community Member

I'm having the same error except I have been using the same payment method for years and I just noticed the flag today. Care to explain what happened and what I can do on my end to fix this?

penny671
Community Member

Please help! I have been offering my VA service here at Upwork for more than 5 years and have been using the same bank account. I recently checked my profile and saw that my bank account was flagged stating that "the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account."

I checked everything and all my names are matching and as what I have said previously, I have been using this same bank account for years here in the platform so seeing this notification doesn't make any sense. Can someone please help me on this. I have submitted again a copy of my bank statement as well as a copy of my US passport and still nothing. I need this done so I can make sure that there will be no issues whatsoever when my earnings gets posted for the new contract that I have accepted.

Hi Penelope,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked your account and can confirm that the name mismatch has been resolved. 

Generally, it takes 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

~ AJ
Upwork
lara_mondial
Community Member

Hi,

I am trying to link my PayPal account with Upwork and I get a beneficiary name is mismatched error, However, my name on both is identical so please help me fix this problem!

Thanks!

Hi Donia,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked your account and can confirm that the name mismatch has been resolved.

Generally, it may take 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

Since this is a new payment method, please note that for security reasons, when you set up a new payment method, it will become available for use 3 calendar days after it has been added.

~ AJ
Upwork

Thank you Annie!

5b6113a3
Community Member

Hi Upwork.

I just added new payment method (direct to local bank), for my company's bank account and got flagged for name mismatch.  Can someone help me please?

Hi Maria Victoria,

I have reached out to the team handling your case and one of the team members will reach out to you with assistance on how to clear the name mismatch on the account. Feel free to communicate here or through your email address for updates and further assistance. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
samanthawriter7
Community Member

Upwork is suddenly claiming 
"Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account."

This ISN'T true. I've been using the same Paypal account for years, and there's no discrepancy with my name. This is RIDICULOUS.

I tried to contact Help but there's no way to leave a ticket! What is going on????  

I saw other threads about this, with people saying they waited for days for the problem to be resolved. 

Please help! 

Hi Samantha,

Thank you for your message. I have followed up with the team and I am pleased to inform you that the name mismatch has been cleared now.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
f37c05fb
Community Member

Hi there!
There's an issue with my "Payment method verification" as the "beneficiary name" is a mismatch. I realy don't understand why since in both of them my name is Itay.
I've been waiting for a few days for this to be reviewed and resolved, but I haven't heard anything. 
Thanks in advance

Hi Italy,

Thank you for your message. I am pleased to inform you that your payment method has been accepted and will be active in 3 days.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
techybheam
Community Member

Hello.

I added a new payment method for a while now. Details are correct but still getting "The beneficiary name is mismatched" error. Please help solve it. Thank you.

Hi Onibi,

I checked with the team and they were able to clear the name mismatch on your account!

~Andrea
Upwork
yuyuita
Community Member

Hello,

I have a message from upwork telling me that my bank account name doesn’t match with my name in upwork that’s because I have two names. This is usual for Spanish people. But the first name "Maria " is not usually used.
My complete name is María de la Almudena López Fernández but because is too long I normally use Almudena Lopez and in my bank account  they just  have Maria López Fernández but it is obviously the same name and the same person.

Just right now I am a little  confused because I don't know what I need to do to solve this situation.

If someone else could help me just let me know.

Many thanks!

Maria Almudena

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Almudena,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork
yuyuita
Community Member

Thanks 🙂

b0299cda
Community Member

Hello there.

I have been trying to add a new payment method for some time now. Details are correct to the letter and the beneficiary name matches with my profile name. I even tried to change the arrangement of my first and last name  but to no avail. I'd really love if this can be looked at.

Thanks.

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Adebambo,

I checked with the team and the name mismatch has been cleared!

~Andrea
Upwork
b0299cda
Community Member

Thank you Andrea!

oladimeji_peter
Community Member

Hello there, my "payment methods" says that the beneficiary name is de-activated because it is mismatched.

The name on my Upwork account (Peter Oladimeji) matches the name on my account (Peter Oladimeji). So, not quite sure where the inconsistency comes from. If it helps, please find attached a screenshot of the de-activation. 

I would deeply appreciate if this is looked into as I'm currently having difficulties withdrawing from the platform. Thank you guys! 

Cheers, 

/Peter

Hi Peter,

I have reached out to the team handling your case and one of the members will reach out to you via email with assistance on how to clear the name mismatch on your account. I highly suggest you communicate with them if you need further assistance. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hi Arjay, the link sent to me to verify my name was expired. 

Hi Peter,

I've followed up with the team and let them know about the link being expired. One of our agents will update your ticket to assist you further.  

~ Joanne
Upwork
19ca0645
Community Member

Hi! My direct to bank payment method has been deactivated and it says that my name here in upwork and my bank account do not match. I already checked and edited my details. Is there any way you could have my payment method activated already?

Hi MA BERNADETTE,

Generally, it may take 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

Since this is a new payment method, please note that for security reasons, when you set up a new payment method, it will become available for use 3 calendar days after it has been added.

~ AJ
Upwork
4f3f9919
Community Member

I have to get a problem with my ID. When I created my account I verified this using my cousin CNIC and that was verified. Now I want to withdraw money from Upwork and I added a payment method then it says that the payment method should match Upwork ID verification. Now I want to remove my cousin's ID from my account and add mine. So how can I do this because my payment has been stuck here?

You misrepresented your identity. You confirmed when signing up that you would not do that. 

A profile can't be changed from one person to another to prevent fraudulent freelancers from lying about their identity. This is usually not something that can be remedied. The money will be returned to the client since you can never withdraw it.

Hi Hassan,

A Customer Support Team member has reached out to you through this support ticket to assist you further with your concern.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
306aec88
Community Member

Hi.. I am using my paypal to buy connects and works fine.

Now I want to get paid with the same paypal but pairing process keep failing ... message the beneficiary name of paypal not the same one of the account...

They're exactly the same: haitham mohamed

Thanks in advance

Hi Haitham,

I've followed up with the relevant team and can confirm that you should no longer see this error on your end. Don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can assist you with.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
d1642a8b
Community Member

Hi 

I created upwork account today and entered bank details, it is not accepting showing incorrect format..I have entered all details correct.  Please help.

Hi Vijaykumar,

Thank you for your message. I see that your payment method is already accepted and will be active in 3 days.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Can I open a ticket with Upwork support, I haven't gotten my wire transfer funds since Wednesday

Hi Olivia,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would like to clarify that we process wire transfers within one business day, but they may take several days to arrive in your bank account. Please let us know if after 8 business days the funds are still not reflected in your account so we can initiate a trace for you.

Feel free to check this help article for more information. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
mossaybo
Community Member

Added my USA bank account details, for some reason I got "The beneficiary name is mismatched" error and I'm not sure why. It's been more than 48h as mentioned by this article.

Contacting support wasn't helpful either, I'm so disappointed that given the fees UpWork charge for to take care of client relation and payment, I still have to waste so much time trying to get the money I hard worked for.

mossaybo_0-1658746078317.png

Hi mossab,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your concern with the team and your name mismatch is now approved. Let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths