🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: "Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing me...
Page options
hassanwaqar71
Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

Hi, Upwork can't accept my credit card for some reason, it keeps on declining it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Hassan

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,226 REPLIES 1,226
c885d4bc
Community Member

I have also tried 5 different payment methods. all to no avail. I do not believe that it is a bank issue...

Hi Conan, 

I checked and it looks like you already communicated with our team via a support ticket. Could you please clarify if you need further assistance? 

~ Nikola
Upwork
c885d4bc
Community Member

i do still need assistance, it has been a more than a day now that I have been unable to make a payment. this needs to be fixed. please reach out to me when you have any news.

c885d4bc
Community Member

i want to add, that i have since spoken to 3 more customer service individuals and tried 5 more payment methods.

none of which have worked

Hi Conan,

I'm sorry you're still having trouble making a payment. Please keep coordinating with the team via the support ticket you already have with them; they'll continue to assist you further. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Conan, have you found the solution? As I've got the same issue

0a6144f0
Community Member

Some strange things are happening  with my payment. I can not hire a frelancer, and i`m getting an error "Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one". I tried adding other  bank cards, but the result is the same. I have contacted my local bank, but they said that canceling of payment happens on the Upwork side. Money are withdrawn from my account but then Upwork sends them back and dispaying me this error. Please advice  

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Sophie,

Thank you for reaching out, and I'm sorry if you're having trouble processing payments through your billing method on file. In general, this happens when the bank keeps declining transactions you're attempting on your card. Kindly contact your card-issuing bank to inquire about the specific charge decline. If the issue persists afterward, we'll be happy to assist.

Looking forward to your confirmation.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hi, did you find the solution as I got the same issue?

b98e9c8f
Community Member

I am receiving the error "Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one".

It's weird, because it worked earlier today multiple times. tried using cards from two different banks and both confirmed that it should work and there is no block on their end. One of them detected it as fraud, and I authorized Upwork - they told me going forward it shouldn't be an issue. Still didn't work. Tried the other bank, they didn't even detect it as fraud and it still didn't work there either. Both banks advise it should work.

Can someone please help? The issue has to be on Upwork's side.

EDIT: I have also tried it on Paypal, still not accepted. The payment was through Paypal itself, using money on the account (not through a bank). Stilll didn't work.

Did you find a solution?

ab4ab7b5
Community Member

Dears,

I have  a stucking problem , HSBC usualy cheks with the customers when they do the first payment, Yesterday I made a payment with  Card and went ok, because HSBC puts hold on the card and I didn't reply to their mobile call, Upwork disables my account and said it will take two days which is strange and long period. 

I called the Bank and it is ok, and returned to my upwork account and said wait an email which didn't arrive till now (2 Hours after my trila) to send me ID to check the credit card.

I tried to get support and send my ID to accelerate the solution but I got shocked, There is no communcation way to them except that AI which answerd I don't have a solution for your problem.

Canany body from upwork help me , by giving me an email to attach my ID to solve the issue and not to wait two business days.

Best regards

Mohamed Elshandidy

Mostafa Elshandidy

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Mohamed,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork
adb51a06
Community Member

Hello!
I have a problem - from one device (laptop) I can hire an employee and the payment will go through, the card is suitable.

From another laptop in the same account I get an error when hiring a person (attaching a photo)

How can I fix this?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Alex, 

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
296ce17a
Community Member

I had an issue when I tried to hire a freelancer. Money was deducted, an error occurred, and then the money was refunded. I tried again, but encountered the same error. I decided to remove and add a new payment method, but the money was not refunded this time. I tried again, but the money still wasn't refunded.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

The most interesting thing is that when I tried to create a support ticket, the page just loaded blank.
https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=3964

Same issue here. Couldn't fund new milestone.

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Denys and Xingchi,

I checked and confirmed that these transactions you're trying to process have been declined. In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Kindly contact your card-issuing bank to inquire about the specific charge decline. If the issue persists afterward, we'll be happy to assist. 

We look forward to your confirmation.

~ Arjay
Upwork
296ce17a
Community Member

When the payment was made, there were no errors, the funds were deducted from the account and are now awaiting confirmation of payment from the recipient, i.e. from Upwork, as the payment is not made through a terminal, so the funds first go into reserve.

0b8ff3aa
Community Member

Did anyone ever solve this issue of declining bank for you?  I can pay one Freelance but not another.  

b98e9c8f
Community Member

Hi,

My payments will not process. I have tried with credit cards using two different banks. I have contacted both banks - they are telling me there is NO ISSUE on their side and the payment should work fine. Please help me with this.

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi J H,

I'm sorry to learn that you're having difficulties processing a payment using your billing method. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon on this page to assist you further.

~ Arjay
Upwork
5b38d11d
Community Member

I am a client from india. As i am hiring a freelancer and creating milestone & adding funds. It shows this:

Screenshot upwk.png

I am trying from last 2 weeks, but the issue remains same. I also changed the payment methods, but nothing works. Please suggest me the best solution, so that i can fix this issue. Thanks

Hello Kashmir,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths