🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: How do I reach support? Chat is AI only a...
Page options
Senyo A Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

i am not able to pay for jobs with my visa card from Ghana. The final confirm and pay button remains grey and doesnt allow for payment to be made.

any help?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andrea G Community Manager

Hi all,

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

~Andrea

View solution in original post

646 REPLIES 646
Mohammed Z Community Member

Hi I started a job post and offered a new contract and it deducted certain amount for escrow. I got the email following that saying my primary billing method has failed. But that card transaction history has the reference number and amount deducted. I paid using my new card and that went through as well, so I've been charged twice and it is in the transaction history.

Pradeep H Moderator

Hi Mohammed,

I am sorry to hear about the double charge on your card. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Tatiana I Community Member

Hi,

I am experiencing an issue with payment for services. I have added three different cards, and while the money is deducted from my bank, it gets refunded shortly after. There is no error message, but it advises contacting support. However, the support system is a bot and does not connect me to a live agent.

"Recent charge failed."

Could you please help me with this issue?

Thank you.

Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Tatiana,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble making a payment. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Tatiana I Community Member

Luiggi, 

Thank you very much for your help.

Tanya G Community Member

Hello my credit payment did not process? I have been using my card for the freelance writer and payment errors. I edit the cc with no update on the card. My credit card company does not have an hold on the card. 

Arjay M Retired Team Member

Hi Tanya,

I see that you've been coordinating with our support team and raised a support ticket about your billing concerns. I can also confirm that your case has been forwarded to the appropriate team and you will get an update on your ticket on this page once it's thoroughly reviewed.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Viktoria K Community Member

HELLO, I HAVE SIMILAR SITUATION.
Bank stated that they allow transaction, your support option in https://support.upwork.com/ just sending me to a bot which asked me to use a bot and to connect live agent i need to use a bot which asked me to use a bot and describe problems and then send me to this community. ANSWER ASAP. MOREOVER I WAS PAYING FROM THIS CARD TO OFFER ON SATURDAY AND after 48 hours of not respond I get them back and now can't pay

Tim D Community Member

I joined upwork today, and have placed an advert, got some decent responses and want to hire one. I'm based in the UK. I have UK credit cards.

When I go to Hire someone, it declines the payment.

Could I have typed the details wrong?
I've removed the card, and readded it. The details are all correct.

Could it be the bank?

Well, I called my UK bank, and they said "it's strange - it takes payment, but then automatically reverses it. It's not us - contact the merchant"

Could it be that card?
I tried a different card (my personal card). I have an app for this one. It made me approve it in the app. I did. Upwork said "payment declined". The app said "payment pending". and then a minute later said "payment reversed".

Could it be my browser?
I have tried in Firefox and in Chrome

Could it be my cookies?
I've tried clearing my cookies, cache and local storage.

Have you tried logging in and logging out again?
Yep - both by clearing my cookies and not doing that.

Have you set up 2FA? What about SMS verification?
Yes - I've set up both. It still doesn't work.

Have you tried asking support?
When I go to https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us it initially displays, but as it tries to log me in, it fails, and displays an error 500 message. 😞 I cannot access the support portal at all at present (unless I'm not logged in).

I'm really keen to use Upwork, but this isn't a great first impression.
How is this going to be fixed? How will I know it's fixed?

Tim D Community Member

The message I get is

> Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support.

Which is all fine - except that, as above - I have tried a different one, and I get an error 500 from the support portal - so I can't access it.

Hi Tim,

In general, this happens when the bank keeps declining the transactions you're attempting on your card. The error message you received confirms that payments cannot be processed on the card on file. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

Afterward, let us know if you need further assistance with all the information you've gathered from your bank; we'll gladly look into that for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Tim D Community Member

Hi Arjay,

As I said

wrote:

Hi Tim,

In general, this happens when the bank keeps declining the transactions you're attempting on your card. The error message you received confirms that payments cannot be processed on the card on file. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

Afterward, let us know if you need further assistance with all the information you've gathered from your bank; we'll gladly look into that for you.

in addition, as I also said, I can't use the support portal as it gives me an error 500.

-Tim

Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Tim,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Viktoria K Community Member

HELLO, I HAVE SIMILAR SITUATION.
Bank stated that they allow transaction, your support option in https://support.upwork.com/ just sending me to a bot which asked me to use a bot and to connect live agent i need to use a bot which asked me to use a bot and describe problems and then send me to this community. ANSWER ASAP

Lucifer B Community Member

I am going to hire someone on upwork i deposit 100 dollars in my account but thats cut from my bank account and not comes in my upwork account whats reason behind this? almost one month have done

Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Lucifer,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble using your billing method. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Paul H Community Member

I also have this problem.  I cannot get support to make a payment for my first contract: three different payment cards and PayPal do not work.  How can I hit the "revenue milestone" if I cannot hire someone?

Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Paul,

I'm sorry you are having trouble making a payment. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Artem A Community Member

Hi Upwork,

I am new to here upwork and I was tring to find freelancers who is expert at Tailwind CSS , can fix my problems

I think I've found right person but when I tried to hire him, Payment can't charge on this upwork.

tried many times and also tried with different card but always failed.

not sure why this happened.

payment was successfull when I used at other site.

but only this upwork failed so this measns the problems are at your side upwork.

Please check this and I have to fix my problems asap.

Please help me carefully.

Hi Artem,

In general, this happens when the bank keeps declining the transactions you're attempting on your card. The error message you received on your shared screenshot confirms that payments cannot be processed on the card on file. Please get in touch with your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Owen S Community Member

Im trying to pay a freelancer but payment keeps getting rejected. I have tried 3 different payment methods but it refused them all

Owen S Community Member

The bot keeps going in circles. There is no point of contact with this company.

Joanne P Moderator

Hi Owen,

I’m sorry to learn you weren’t able to contact the Upwork Support Team directly, or file a ticket after interacting with the chatbot.

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will contact you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
Bertrand S Community Member

Hello

I try to hire a person, but the transactions always fail. I see on my card details that money gets taken, then sent back, except for the last transaction. The money seems to be in the void. 

I tried to contact via chat, but I cannot get through the bot. 

Can someone get in touch with me?

Luiggi R Moderator

Hi Bertrand,

I'm sorry you are having trouble processing your payment. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths