🐈
» Forums » Support » Unable to add/use payment method
Page options
hassanwaqar71
Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

Hi, Upwork can't accept my credit card for some reason, it keeps on declining it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Hassan

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,226 REPLIES 1,226
759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Afaq,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can see that you opened a support ticket regarding this issue. Please allow our team 24-48 hours to review your request and reach out to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
fc1a3404
Community Member

i have the same issue it says "Charge failed" and i have sufficient amount in my account 

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Japheth,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~Andrea
Upwork
223459ad
Community Member

YOU TOOK THE MONEY I NEED TO HIRE THE FREELANCER BUT YOU TOOK THE MONEY AND DIDN'T START THE CONTRACT

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Dima,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist you further with your case. You may access your ticket and coordinate with the team on this page.

~ Arjay
Upwork
0265077c
Community Member

Hi,

I am unable to pay freelancer using PayPal. It used to work, but now i get the message "Recent Charge Failed" and freelancer are unable to accept my contracts. I checked with PayPal and everything seems to be in order. Unfortunately there is no information on Upwork on how to resolve this issue. Will i be able to use PayPal again or does this mean i have to switch to another payment option entirely (e.g., credit card)?

Thanks!

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Raphael,

Thank you for reaching out. It looks like the transaction did not complete with your selected payment method. Could you please retry the transaction using an alternative payment method from your PayPal wallet? Please let us know if the issue persists.

~ AJ
Upwork
137d776d
Community Member

Hi Luiggi, 

I have a smiliar case. I do have enough funds in my paypal but when I tried to hire a freelancer, Upwork charges my paypal and returns it in a few min. I contacted the support team but didn't get any update. I'd like to solve this soon to start the project. 

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jason,

Thank you for reaching out to us. You may need to add an alternative payment method to your PayPal wallet to add your PayPal account as a payment method on Upwork, as the transaction cannot be completed from our end. Once you've added an alternative payment method, please let the team know by updating your ticket here if the issue continues.

To check which payment source failed on your PayPal account, follow these steps:

• Go to the "Payments" tab and click "Manage automatic payments."
  • Click on the billing agreement associated with "Upwork Escrow Inc."
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and check what funding source is your backup.
  • Update the backup source to a valid payment method and re-attempt the payment.
If the transaction fails again, the next step is to contact PayPal directly. Specifically, you'll want to talk to a PayPal Tier 2 agent and ask why your transaction to Upwork was declined. I hope this helps.

~ Arjay
Upwork
1e1dfdb9
Community Member

I received an email that my bank stopped payment.  I have addressed the issue with the bank and attempted to process the payment newly.  I'm not sure if it went so I'm trying to get word to you to please re-process the payment.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It looks like the charge on your credit card keeps getting declined. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

~ Nikola
Upwork
1e1dfdb9
Community Member

Yes I just contacted the bank - again.  And they said it is now fixed - again.  Please re-submit payment.

Thanks

Steve

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your response and confirmation. Since it's been confirmed by your bank, you may now try to reprocess the payment from your end and see if the payment will go through. Let us know if the issue persists and we'll look further into that for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork
1e1dfdb9
Community Member

I understand this failed again.  I'm trying to get this corrected with the bank and they said the issue had to be addressed at a higher level of tech support.  Apparently this is now corrected.  Please try again.  

1e1dfdb9
Community Member

The simple solution is to get you another card but I need to fix whatever the problem is with this card so please bear with me.  Twice the bank has asked if the payment could be re-submitted while they watch the transaction.  If it comes to the point where I need to get someone of the phone with my bank, how can this be done?

In the meantime, they said the are watching for the transaction again and asked for it to be re-submitted. Please resubmit.

Thanks

Steve

78b54e3d
Community Member

Hey there, 

I have been trying to pay a freelancer for the work he has done, but the following message popped up when I tried to pay (never seen it before): Your financial account "..........." has been suspended due to issues with payment methods on file. Please update payment methods to restore full functionality to your account.

I never had problems with my Paypal account , nor any problems paying the amount (enough balance on card). 

Kindly help me solve this issue. I only have Paypal option available to add (as I don't own any creditcard).

Thank you in advance.

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Frederik,

I'm sorry to learn that you're having difficulties with your billing method. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist on this page.

~ Arjay
Upwork

I just wanted to let the people know that, like said, deleting the 'Upwork Escrow Payments' in your personak Paypal account settings worked for me!

Thank you again for the quick support!

ae39228f
Community Member

I need help.  The same problem happens all the time - when I want to pay for work done by a freelancer, when I click on the payment button I get "Recent charge failed. And I have already deleted and added different cards again

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Oleg,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
84f32ffb
Community Member

After 14 days of constant waiting, team failed to resolve my issue Our payment has been blocked by the party without any reason I am a company owner, can do should make a company owner wait this long?
Even after continuous failure, the team did not address it and did not fix the problem
It only takes two minutes to solve this problem and 14 consecutive days of waiting After this wait the problem is still not solved
How would a company or client think this platform is secure I don't think this platform is secure

Hi Javeria.

I can see that you've raised a support ticket regarding your concern and one of our team members is already assisting you. You can access your support tickets here. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

Thank you,
Pradeep

Upwork

The useless team is of no use and does not give any answers or do any not solve problems

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

My billing method issue on Upwork

After 14 days of constant waiting, team failed to resolve my issue Our payment has been blocked by the party without any reason I am a company owner, can do should make a company owner wait this long?
Even after continuous failure, the team did not address it and did not fix the problem
It only takes two minutes to solve this problem and 14 consecutive days of waiting After this wait the problem is still not solved
How would a company or client think this platform is secure I don't think this platform is secure

The useless team is of no use and does not give any answers or do any not solve problems

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Javeria,

I'm sorry to hear you feel this way. I checked and can confirm that your issue has been escalated to the appropriate team, who are the experts on this topic. Please continue to communicate with them via support ticket as they are the ones who can best assist you. 

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths