🐈
» Forums » Support » Unable to add/use payment method
Page options
hassanwaqar71
Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

Hi, Upwork can't accept my credit card for some reason, it keeps on declining it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Hassan

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,226 REPLIES 1,226

My problem is still not solved. I cant make payment. I ensure that the information I enter on Upwork aligns with the details associated with my card.

Maybe it is because of the turkish characters on my name. Upwork does not accept my name because there are Turkish characters in my name (ü, ş, ö).  I have to write it without Turkish characters.. Please it is very important!!!!

Hi Nurgunes,

I can see that you've been coordinating with the appropriate team through the ticket Luiggi raised for your concern. It looks like you've been assisted accordingly, and the issue has been resolved. Let us know if you need further assistance. Thank you for reaching out!

~ Arjay
Upwork
b52bf498
Community Member

My debit card can do international payments, I also tried Paypal, and I also did it from another international card, yet my account is getting refunded. I have contacted my bank, there is no issue with my card. I have been trying for over a week. Please resolve this for me. Or else, how will I pay the commission fee and hire via Upwork?

I'm having the same exact issue. Money gets deducted and then refunded back and i also get "Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one."

Hi Francesca,

I'm sorry to learn this is happening to you as well. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Nalin,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
94b01c2c
Community Member

I have the same situation, namely when I hire people the payment is always rejected and I can't hire the talent I want, I need help to resolve this problem

Hi Naura,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
3824616b
Community Member

I have this exact same problem. I have tried multiple cards and can't hire the freelancers I wish to. All card details are correct.

I've talked with my credit card providers and they confirm that the payment is made and then cancelled BY UPWORK.

Hi Henrik,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
0a38bc52
Community Member

Hi. I registered today and got help. After the work I added a bonus and wanted to pay the balance. 

Unfortunately I always get an error on payment. Using PayPal in Germany. Also added a credit card which paid first and then immediately got the transaction back (like in PayPal). What should I do?

The chatbot can not help and there is no contact mail address. So I'll hope this is the right place to ask for support?

Hi Guido,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will contact you on this page with further assistance on your billing concerns.

~ Arjay
Upwork
2d681bdd
Community Member

I am trying to deposit escrow funds for the second milestone of multiple positions I hired for, but every attempt to pay has been unsuccessful. I have tried multiple bank cards and credit cards, and after each payment attempt, I receive the message "Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support." The payment gets canceled within 5 minutes every time I try. I have contacted my bank multiple times, and everything seems normal with all my bank cards and credit cards. The cards have sufficient funds, and they are not expired. The payment failure has hindered me from initiating the respective business projects, and my employees are complaining. I request assistance, as I can confirm that this is not an issue with my bank cards.

Hi Cristina-Denisa,

I can see that you've raised a support ticket regarding your concern and one of our team members is already assisting you. You can access your support tickets here. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

- Pradeep

Upwork
adf17d2e
Community Member

Hello! I added a payment method linked to my local bank five days ago, but it remains inactive. I haven't received any response or verification email from Upwork regarding this. Could you please take the necessary steps to activate it as soon as possible? I'm facing a project deadline and am unable to process payments to the talent. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Hi Mohamed,

Apologies for the delay in responding to this post. I see that your billing method is already active. Feel free to message us if you need any other assistance.

- Pradeep

Upwork
31701cc1
Community Member

My Mastercard debit card succesfully saves into Upwork. However, it doesn't charge when trying to pay for a job.

US Based account. Not a prepaid. Valid card that works everywhere else...

Please help! Thank you

Hi Clifford,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

same problem please help

Hi Yisrael,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will contact you with further assistance to resolve the issue with your billing method.

~ Arjay
Upwork
1091e721
Community Member

Hello ,

I am new to this platform and today I tried to add a billing method to hire a freelancer. But it keep saying "Sorry, something went wrong on our end. Please refresh the page and try again. If this issue keeps happening, contact customer support." I tried clear my browser caches and cookies but it does not help . Also tried with a new browser too. Can anyone please help me to resolve this. 

Thank you!

Hi Patrick,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you on this page with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
61d6b9b4
Community Member

I've made a desposit to hire a freelancer. While the money has been deducted on my card, it shows on Upwork that it wasn't successful. And this is very frustrating. When i try to contact support, I get automated answers. 

Hi Weddy,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

- Pradeep 

Upwork
91c59186
Community Member

Hello everyone,

Today, I joined this platform and I'm having a problem making a purchase. After linking PayPal to my account, it says "Recent charge failed." I guessed that I didn't have enough money on the card linked to PayPal, so I recharged more money to the card. Now, when I try to make a payment again, it says "Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support." Can someone please tell me how to solve this issue?

If possible, could someone from Upwork review my account and confirm that it meets all the required criteria for using this platform?

Thanks!

Hi Tresor,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
91c59186
Community Member

Thank you for your reply! Waiting.....

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths