🐈
» Forums » Support » Unable to add/use payment method
Page options
hassanwaqar71
Community Member

Unable to add/use payment method

Hi, Upwork can't accept my credit card for some reason, it keeps on declining it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Hassan

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, you can contact support by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,226 REPLIES 1,226
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Stefan,

~Andrea
Upwork
designbyhammad
Community Member

I've been trying to upgrade my membership from basic to plus.
But I'm unable to add a billing method. I've tried to add my Pre-paid (Mastercard) as well as Debit Card (Mastercard) but both ways it kept showing this message "We are unable to authorize your card. Please add another billing method or contact your issuing bank."

I've contacted my bank. And they said, "there's no issue on our end. you should check it with your requested website".

kindly fix it asap.

Hi Hammad,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble that you've experienced in upgrading your membership. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you as soon as possible via a support ticket to assist you further.

~ AJ
Upwork
c27a6658
Community Member

Hi team, 

I tried to pay using my credit card and it was blocked by my Bank because the transfer was international. I have since called my bank and they ave allowed for these transfers. 

I ended up making the payment with my colleagues PayPal account but there is still a block on my account. 

Can you please remove the block so the freelancer can accept the job and commence work? 

Kind regards, Erghn

Hi team,

still need help with this. Can someone please get back to me as we are waiting to engage services with a contractor.

Hi Erghn,

Thank you for reaching out to us and I sincerely apologize for the delay and inconvenience this may have caused you. I have checked your account and I see that it's currently active. That's a brilliant move calling your bank to allow international transactions on your account. I have also reached out to the team handling your case and they will be in touch with you directly via support ticket. You can check here or your email for updates and further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
c27a6658
Community Member

Hey Arjay,

I have followed the link you have posted however I have not had a response to my follow up in that link. This is concerning as I have now been waiting over a week to engage this contractor and it is very negatively effecting my business. Can someone please resolve this today and provide the next steps.

Regards,

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Erghn,

I went ahead and followed up with the team handling your support ticket. You should expect a reply soon.

~Andrea
Upwork
stefan_suvak
Community Member

I am constantly having this issue while trying to hire writers. I have a Master debit card that I use for all the purposes online and it works very well in all cases except here. Currently, I don't have any funds but even when I do Upwork gives me the "You don't have a valid billing method on file with Upwork. Please correct this before making an offer" message. I tried removing the payment method and adding it again but it didn't seem to work... Any ideas on what I should do? 

Hi Stefan,

Please note that some card-issuing banks will restrict the use of debit cards on Upwork due to the payments being classified as 'recurring'. Please, make sure that you are filling all the required fields correctly and that your card-issuing bank allows recurring transactions. I would also suggest checking with your bank if your account is enabled for international charges. Alternatively, you may use any other of the available billing methods.

~ Arjay
Upwork
5bdd03a6
Community Member

My card has been charged for a project that I've just bought. But Upwork said the payment hasn't been processed. Help please!

11f5e857
Community Member

Hello

How are you?

I have one problem in adding billing method.

I tried to add paypal as billing method but I can't see option for paypal.

There are only credit card option.

If let me know with solution, I appreciatel your help.

Thanks.

Hi Gabriel,

Thank you for reaching out and I sincerely apologize for not being able to get back to you sooner. Freelancers with a verified PayPal account can use PayPal as their billing method. To learn more about verifying and linking your PayPal account, go here. 

Please note that A credit card needs to be added as a backup billing method if you plan to use PayPal to purchase Connects or pay for a membership plan. Let me know if you need further assistance. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
minimax_canada
Community Member

Facing this issue while I'm adding my UBL Mastercard for the payment method:

"We are unable to authorize your card. Please add another billing method or contact your issuing bank."

My card is correctly working on other social sites. So why Upwork not accepting it

Is there anyone who help me out ?

Hi Minimax,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork
munza-a-qadir
Community Member

You don't have a valid billing method on file with Upwork. Please correct this before making an offer.

This is the notification I receive every time I try to pay using my visa card. Guide through it.

Hi Munza,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Annie, 

I havent been contacted yet. Also, how do I access the ticket? What’s the process?

kayjaysingh
Community Member

We are unable to authorize your card. Please add another billing method or contact your issuing bank

hello, team upwork, I tried to attach to my MasterCard/Visa in the payment method but it's showing unable to authorize your card.
How can I resolve this issue? 

Hi Kamaljit,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
a60cb2b5
Community Member

Card payment are all correct but it show they were wrong. Like this  - 

We were unable to authorize this payment card. Please check the card information or try another card.

Hi Kumar,

In general, this happens when the transactions you’re attempting on your card keep being declined by the bank. Please contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline.

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, a quick way to contact our support team is by clicking the "Get Support" button that is shown on this page. You may be asked what type of account you need help with, please select the best option for your situation. If you don't receive the information you're looking for, you can select "Get Support" for more options, including contacting our support team.

~ AJ
Upwork
3f3055ac
Community Member

Hi, I am a new Upwork client from Pakistan I want to hire a professional from here but Upwork is not accepting my debit Mastercard what could be the reason? please anyone who can help me in this regard will be appreciated. I need to verify my account urgently.

Regards,

@clients@billingmethod

Hi Ramisha,

If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, a quick way to contact our support team is by clicking the "Get Support" button that is shown on this page. You may be asked what type of account you need help with, please select the best option for your situation. If you don't receive the information you're looking for, you can select "Get Support" for more options, including contacting our support team.

~ AJ
Upwork
bb90e208
Community Member

I need help. I have a card with sufficient balance to pay for my transaction but it always says "Charge Failed".

Please help!!!

Hi Javier,

I have checked your account and it looks like the transaction has been declined. You might want to check with your card issuing bank so that they can check on the specific declined error. For the time being, you may want to consider adding a different billing method to your account. You can check this help article for more details.

~ Arjay
Upwork
c711bedd
Community Member

hello, (You don't have a valid billing method on file with Upwork. Please correct this before making an offer.) i did everything in https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/You-dont-have-a-valid-billing-method-on-file-with-upwork/m-p...  but nothing worked, also i used my visa before and no it didnt work(paypal too)??? plz help

Hi Ameur,

~ AJ
Upwork
cd91c98f
Community Member

I am from India .I am trying for last many days to make a payment by means of international credit card for getting service from upwork freelancer. Even the card is verified, twice the payment did not haappen .When I approached the bank , the representative told me from bank side everything is ok. Could anyone kindly let me know how to solve this problem as my work is  remaining pending for a long time . How to approach Upwork ? I could not reach customer service phone no. Does anybody can tell me valid email to address and customer care number so that I can reperestnt my the problem to Upwork. Your kind help will be much appreciated.

Hi Satyajit,

~ AJ
Upwork
d70171f6
Community Member

I've been trying to pay a freelancer who is currently working on a task I have assigned to him but for some reason upwork is not letting me pay. I'm getting the error in the network tab that my address is not completely defined although i have defined address but it just doesn't work. Please so that I can pay this person on time. My card has been accepted but when I click on approve and fund button i get the above mentioned erorr.

Can anyone please respond to this?

Hi Aneela,

~ AJ
Upwork
3caa61c2
Community Member

After adding in my debit card information. It shows "Your bank was unable to verify your information. Please contact them and try again."

What shall I do?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Abhijeet,

~ AJ
Upwork
ec3f2347
Community Member

Team Upwork Need yur Help

first time iam Hiring someone added my mastercard too but payment is not going through

the message says "there was a problem charging your billing method, pls enter a new billing method and try again "

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Hamid,

~Andrea
Upwork
cd7d45f1
Community Member

I am trying to hire a freelancer, but the card I had used previosly wasn't going through, so I tried to add a new card as a billing method and this is the error message I received: "You don't have a valid billing method on file with Upwork. Please correct this before making an offer."

It keeps saying this even though the card has been saved to my billing methods already.

Hi Kay,

This may be happening because the transactions you’re attempting is being declined by the bank or credit card issuer. You can contact your card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline and make sure you have sufficient funds to complete the transaction. If you’re still experiencing issues after checking with your bank, a quick way to contact our support team is by clicking the "Get Support" button that is shown on this page

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths