🐈
» Forums » Support » Uninitiated fund transaction.
Page options
6f1044dd
Community Member

Uninitiated fund transaction.

All of my funds have been transfer to one of my bank accounts without my authorization. Please how can i stop the transaction.

At this moment I do not have access to this bank account since I’m living far away from the banks location.

I had put the minimum balance of $1,000.00 as the Quarterly Schedule transaction, but my upwork account only had 724.40. Please help.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NikolaS

Hi All,

Your earnings are automatically sent to your primary payment method based on the payment schedule you choose. The default Automatic Payment Schedule happens Quaterly, when your available funds are over $1000. This is something that can be updated by you anytime in Settings > Get Paid. If you have a different Automatic Payment Schedule currently, this means you’ve updated it in the past. 

That said, please know that Upwork does not operate as a bank, and so we cannot hold your earnings indefinitely. Balances older than 180 days will be withdrawn automatically to your primary payment method, even if they are below your Automatic Schedule balance limit.

It’s important to always be aware of your current Automatic Payment Schedule and primary payment method. This is because, once a withdrawal is initiated it cannot be canceled. An automatic withdrawal will be sent to the payment method on file. If there are any issues, such as an invalid bank account, the funds will be returned directly to Upwork and we will immediately credit your account. If your funds are not received after 8 business days, please let us know and we can assist you with initiating a trace.

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

110 REPLIES 110
esokan
Community Member

Pradeep, 

Thank you for your suggestion. I've finally managed to refund the transaction on the PayPal side. How and when will the money be back to my account? Do I have to notify someone?

Transaction ID for refund is 4EW07887S6263761R

Hi Erdogan,

I would be happy to help. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

Edited to correct typing error. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
4de36e0d
Community Member

The same case happened to me I earned only $5 in March and they transferred all my money. 

My point is that they should inform us before one or two days to transfer the money ourselves.

Or they should seek our authorization to transfer money at once a day before making an automatic transfer.

When contacting them afterwards they are giving reference to a clause of their terms & and conditions which they have fabricated to snatch the money of the people. I mean who would have remembered that term after 180 days? They instantly sent the email about the transaction being made already but they can't send an email before one day to warn us.

8f1acab3
Community Member

I finished my first job here and made around $10. I do not want to withdraw it because then it will be deducted in the bank charges etc and barely anything will be left. is it fine if I withdraw some time later ( after a 1-2 months) after I have made a significant amount?

Hi Saadia,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Yes, it is okay to keep your earnings on your Upwork balance. However, please keep in mind that freelancers have a set Automatic Payment Schedule where your earnings are automatically sent to your primary payment method based on the payment schedule you choose.

The default Automatic Payment Schedule happens quarterly, when your available funds are over $1000. This is something that can be updated by you anytime in Settings > Get Paid. If you have a different Automatic Payment Schedule currently, this means you’ve updated it in the past. 

~ AJ
Upwork
guinevere1964
Community Member

hello 

I see there is a change in wording in payments?

i am upwork plus rating, therefore payment comes earlier.

Previously end of September I authorised my payment on 25th. I received an email today with wording - we have processed your payment request 25th ...

The initial email today I see the wording - as per your payment Scheduled we have initiated payment,  

I did not set up a schedule with Upwork. 

this is different, i normally authorize and I did not need to this month.

is this a different payment process?  You no longer need to go into email to authorize or they now automatically make a scheduled payment which is same date as previous month? 
i am concerned and cannot communicate with anyone at Upwork or at my bank. 

Thank you

Hi Guinevere,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It looks like the funds were automatically withdrawn due to your set Automatic Payment Schedule. Your current disbursement schedule is set to monthly with a threshold of $100. 

You can adjust your automatic withdrawal limit in your Get Paid settings under Edit Schedule. If your available balance never exceeds this limit, you can use the Get Paid Now button to manually withdraw your earnings at any time. It’s totally up to you.

Balances older than 180 days will be withdrawn automatically, whether they are over your balance limit or not.

~ AJ
Upwork
prelepimax97
Community Member

Hi,

So yesterday I have received a payment of 497.10$ but I don't remember that I have ever asked for a withdraw request. Also my scheduled withdrawal is only set to send me when my balance is 1000 or higher. Why did I receive a payment?

Best regards,

Miloš

Balances older than 180 days will be withdrawn automatically, whether they are over your balance limit or not.

Any chance of your amount fits in this scenario?

That could be the case, but not all of my 497.10$ are older than 180 days. Last payment I received was less than one month ago and it is withdrawn as well

jpadriga
Community Member

I've been in Upwork for 12+ years and have never set a payment schedule. I usually withdraw after a month or a little more to save on the fixed transfer fees.

I'm surprised to learn that Upwork initiated payment to my local bank account today. Not only does this method offer the lowest exchange rates, but worse, Upwork sent it to my old bank account, which has already been closed for years. How am I supposed to get those funds?

I'm posting this here because I tried to reach a live rep for over an hour, and it's always a chatbot who replies to me with non-related responses.

Upwork, please return those funds to my available balance. I did not authorize the most recent withdrawal.

Hi Jay,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It looks like the funds were automatically withdrawn due to your set Automatic Payment Schedule.

You can adjust your automatic withdrawal limit in your Get Paid settings under Edit Schedule. If your available balance never exceeds this limit, you can use the Get Paid Now button to manually withdraw your earnings at any time. It’s totally up to you.

~ AJ
Upwork
mohamedabdalla27
Community Member

Hi, 

Upwork sent me an email which said the payment was initiated on schedule, but it was under the limit that I set which is 100 usd and I had only 83 usd,, 

So I didn't have the chance to check with my wise account that I found out that they changed my account number, so the payment was sent to my old account number.

So my question is, can the transfer be cancelled ? If not , will wise send the money back to upwork ?

Hi Mohamed,

Thanks for reaching out. While it's true that you have set a threshold for your Automatic Payment Schedule, please know that balances older than 180 days will be withdrawn automatically, whether they are over your balance limit or not.

Please check this help article for more information.

~ AJ
Upwork

can the transfer be cancelled ? If not , will wise send the money back to upwork ?

Hi Mohamed,

Once a transaction has been initiated, it can no longer be intercepted or canceled. If there's a problem with the payment method on file, that's when the amount will be returned to your Upwork account.

~ Arjay
Upwork
63cf1a86
Community Member

Hi Moderators

Pls help me. I didn't requested withdrawl of my available money. Now my available money is 0. Where did the money go? Is it something I am missing to trace my money? It happened today at 10.15 am IST. How come withdrawl initiated itself when my laptop was shut down.

Thanx

Hi Shashi,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can see that you already opened a support ticket regarding this issue. Please allow our team 24-28 hours to respond to your request. Feel free to also update the ticket should you have further questions or concerns.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Annie

Thanx a lot for your attention to my issue. I have received the amount in my PayPal account. 

ea34e4af
Community Member

My upwork payment was automatically  done into my payoneer, and I would love it to be reverse back into my account

Hi Abdullahi,

Once a withdrawal is initiated it cannot be canceled whether it is manual or automatic. The funds will be sent to the payment method on file. If there are any issues with the bank account, the funds will be returned to Upwork and once this has happened, rest assured that we will immediately credit the funds to your account.

~ AJ
Upwork
c25c2ca1
Community Member

My fund was withdrawn without me authorizing it. I need Upwork to reverse the fund

Hi Omotayo,

Your earnings were automatically sent to your primary payment method based on your chosen payment schedule, and a withdrawal can't be reversed once initiated. 

If you wish to update your Automatic Payment Schedule for future withdrawals, you can do so from the Get Paid settings page. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
c25c2ca1
Community Member

Hello Upwork Support Team,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to bring to your attention a concerning issue regarding an unauthorized fund withdrawal from my Upwork account via Payoneer.

On Dec 27,2023, I received a notification that a withdrawal had been processed in accordance with the scheduling in my payment settings. However, I want to emphatically state that I did not authorize this transaction, and it has left me deeply concerned about the security of my account.

I have reviewed my account settings, and I can confirm that I did not make any changes to my payment settings that would have triggered such a withdrawal. It is imperative that this matter is addressed with the utmost urgency, and I kindly request your immediate assistance in reverting the payment back to my Upwork account.

Furthermore, I have taken the necessary steps to secure my account, including changing my password and enabling two-factor authentication. I would appreciate it if you could conduct a thorough investigation into this incident to identify the source of the unauthorized withdrawal and take appropriate measures to prevent any future occurrences.

Please provide me with a detailed update on the status of this investigation and the steps being taken to rectify this situation as soon as possible. I understand the importance of maintaining the security and integrity of the Upwork platform, and I trust that you will handle this matter with the utmost diligence.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this issue. I look forward to a swift resolution and appreciate your cooperation in ensuring the security of my Upwork account.

Best regards,
Omotayo

You don't need to "authorize" a withdrawal in order for this to happen. The maximum time period that Upwork can hold your payments is 3 months, so you can't leave funds in your account for longer than that; if you do, then Upwork will automatically send you the money, and you can't reverse it back into your Upwork account.

You haven't made clear whether you actually did receive the funds in Payoneer or not? If you have, then your account wasn't compromised.

c25c2ca1
Community Member

Thank you for your response! Unfortunately, the Payoneer account Upwork withdrew the funds to cannot send out money or make a withdrawal. I contacted Payoneer support and they told me to contact Upwork and explain everything to them. They assured me that if Upwork submits a request to cancel the payment to them and they will reverse it immediately as I can no longer make any transaction on the Payoneer account

Omotayo, I see that you already have a ticket with the Customer Support team where you're discussing this. Kindly continue communicating with the team via the ticket; they'll assist you further with your concern. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
5f101260
Community Member

so What will happen to funds after the 180 days are over?

Hi Ibrahim,

Any balance older than 180 days will be automatically disbursed to your active withdrawal method, regardless of your current payment schedule. You can view this article to learn more. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
bokhtiar_bd
Community Member

An automatic transaction was made from the available balance of my Upwork account to my Payoneer account on 25 Dec 2023. Now, 23 Jan 2024, but it is still under review. I don't understand what is the problem. I already received dollars from my Fiver account earlier to my Payoneer account. What can I do now?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Md. Bokhtiar,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Your earnings are automatically sent to your primary payment method based on the payment schedule you choose. The default Automatic Payment Schedule happens quarterly, when your available funds are over $1000.

Balances older than 180 days will also be withdrawn automatically, whether they are over your balance limit or not.

I chcekd on the transaction and can confirm that the transaction was successful on our end. Could you please try contacting Payoneer support?

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths