🐈
» Forums » Support » Urgent Security Concern: Suspicious File Rece...
Page options
metropolisdesk
Community Member

Urgent Security Concern: Suspicious File Received from prospect client

Dear Upwork Community,

I hope this message finds you well.

I am writing to raise concerns regarding a recent interaction with a potential client on the Upwork platform. The client in question goes by the name "Kailaw Ronskipro," and the offer they posted is titled "Our business is in dire need of a professional advertiser, experienced in FB advertising."

While I understand the importance of professionalism and discretion in our line of work, I encountered a situation that has raised significant security concerns. "Kailaw Ronskipro" shared a Google Drive link containing a RAR file for me to download. Upon inspecting the contents of this RAR file, I found that it contained pictures along with an executable (EXE) file that was supposed to be a PDF file, according to the client's explanation.

Given the potentially malicious nature of executable files, I immediately declined to open the file and requested clarification from the client. In response to my inquiry, the client deleted our conversation on Upwork, which further deepened my suspicions that this might be an attempt to distribute ransomware or engage in other malicious activities.

To protect the Upwork community and ensure the safety and security of all freelancers, I believe it is crucial to investigate this matter further. I have neither accepted nor declined the offer from "Kailaw Ronskipro" to allow Upwork to review the situation and determine the appropriate course of action.

I kindly request that Upwork's security team investigate this client and the offer titled "Our business is in dire need of a professional advertiser, experienced in FB advertising." It is imperative that we maintain a secure and trustworthy environment for all Upwork users.

If you require any additional information or assistance from my end to facilitate this investigation, please do not hesitate to reach out. The safety and security of our community should always be a top priority.

Thank you for your attention to this matter, and I look forward to a swift resolution.

Sincerely,

Mohamed
3 REPLIES 3
MaB

Hello Mohamed B,

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

I've escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

Thank you.

~ Bianca

Hi Bianca,

Thank you for your prompt response and for escalating this matter to a support ticket. I appreciate your assistance in addressing this security concern.

Looking forward to further communication with your support team.

Best regards,
Mohamed

e3d6eabd
Community Member

I'm also getting these frequently now. Just an offer out of the blue without any message. And even when I tell them that I cannot help them, they want to push the files down my throat. Please be careful and do not download any files.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths