🐈
» Forums » Support » Visual verification
Page options
ac4e6bdb
Community Member

Visual verification

My laptop doesn’t have a camera. And would like to finish the verification process. Is there a way for me to complete this process via mobile phone?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Kori,

Some freelancers will be eligible for digital photo verification in place of a video call. To complete digital photo, or "selfie" verification, you'll be asked to take a photo of yourself on your computer or mobile device. If you run into any issues with your Browser Settings for Visual Verification you can check this help article. For any other issues, please reach out to our support team. 

To access our support services, it would be best to follow the steps below:

1. Navigate to the Help Center’s navigation bar and select the “Contact Support” option.
  2. Choose the “Chat with Upwork” option to initiate a conversation with our chatbot.
  3. Type in a question or topic and click “Send.” The chatbot will provide relevant articles related to your question.
We strongly encourage everyone to engage with the chatbot to access the available support options. Asking for assistance directly may not provide sufficient information for the chatbot to be able to assist you appropriately - for example, creating a ticket for you with the right team according to your concern.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

522 REPLIES 522

Hi Hamza,

It appears that your selfie is being rejected because your Upwork profile picture doesn't meet Upwork requirements. An email notification with more details was sent to you as well.

Your profile photo must meet the following requirements:

• It must look like you.

• It must be a headshot-style photo.

• Sunglasses, other individuals, logos, or pictures of anything other than your face are not allowed.

Please check this article for more information on updating your profile photo.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
4b775350
Community Member

Hey all-

I'm attempting to verify my account to bid on jobs and was able to go through the government ID process successfully. However, when attempting to go through the 2nd step in the process of the automatic selfie, I receive that I need to speak with a live chat agent to appear on video. When following the instructions on mobile, the send button on the chat does not work. I've tried different browsers such as DuckDuckGo, Chrome, and Safari but they all give the same result. This is all happening on iOS as well.

Does anyone have anything that I could possibly try? I'd really like to start work on Upwork here soon.

Hi Zachary,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
03eeab5a
Community Member

I keep being asked to submit selfie verification? No requests open on help, and not able to open new ones. Can submit proposals until this is sorted??? Meant to take 1 hr to a day? 

Hi Melissa,

It looks like you have not completed the verification process yet. To be able to resume submitting proposals, you will need to complete this step. To do so, please go here once logged into your account. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
47e5da86
Community Member

How many days will it take for manual review ID Verification? I recently had my ID Verification done but unfortunately it wasn't accepted and it resulted to manual review. I didn't receive any email just yet asking for more information about me. 

Hi Adrian Rix,

I checked with our verification team, and they have confirmed that you need to submit a selfie by navigating to your Settings and then selecting 'Identity Verification'. if you need further assistance, please let us know.

~ Joanne
Upwork
164e1d5f
Community Member

Hello, i try to verify my acount and i scan the QR code but when i am trying to log in (with gmail account) from my phone i recive always this message: "Access blocked: Upwork-SSO`s request does not comply with Google`s policies" and i cannot go further. What should i do?

Hi Atanas,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~Andrea
Upwork
1d9d42b8
Community Member

Hi,

I posted two jobs on upwork to find freelancers and they both closed by themselves for no reason and now I cant post any more jobs. Ive done the facial authentication now as well

Please can you help?

Regards,

Fahim

Hi Fahim,

I'm sorry if the changes made to your account caught you off guard. I see that the team has sent you an email with more information about the status of your account and further instructions for resolving the issue. You may access the ticket linked to your case on this page and your email for updates.

~ Arjay
Upwork
238f2b3d
Community Member

Hello, what type was it? I can help you out if you don't mind: Find me on WhatsApp: 0768664257

402c8d65
Community Member

I need help with redoing my identification selfie. And the chat bot told me my account was suspended? Can anyone assist me with this please?

Hi Meesha,

Upon checking with the team I can confirm that your verification has been successful. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
8a264a69
Community Member

Hello, my verify stop at step 2 -- "place face in oval". No continue notify , no success , no faile , no operation notify , only the oval screen stay there to cam timeout. What the next ??

I'm using firefox beta on android phone.

Thanks!

Help!

My id verification still stopped at visual verification. It keep staying at "Place face in oval" screen for many minutes till my phone close the screen.

If I close this page and click "I'm ready" to start visual verification again , a blank bar without the "Place face in oval" text in the oval. It still kept staying there too.

There was no other notify in that whole process except the only "Place ..." note or the blank bar.

I got the same result from firefox and chrome on my android 6 phone.

End

Thanks

Failed again and again at the same place -- "Place face in oval". There was no difference whether my face fullfit the oval or a little away from it. Couldn't it recognise my face?

It's so strange that I've got no response from upwork yet.

Who can help me?

Thanks!

Hi Zhang,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would be happy to help. Could you please share screenshots of the error message from your end so that we can look into this further and assist you accordingly? 

~ Nikola
Upwork
8a264a69
Community Member

Hi, Nikola,

I've got no error message, the visual vierfication just kept staying at there.

Just a "Place face in oval" stayed there, no other notice was gave to me.

I'll upload two screenshorts.

verify-1.jpg is the screen I got by clicking "I'm ready" first time when visual verification.

verify-2.jpg is the screen I got by clicking "I'm ready" again after close the first one. And third time , and so on...

That's all!

Thank you, nik!

Hi Zhang,

I'm sorry you're having difficulties uploading your photo to complete the visual verification. I've shared your report directly with the team handling the review. Kindly expect an update from one of the team members with further assistance once your case is thoroughly reviewed.

~ Arjay
Upwork
8a264a69
Community Member

Thank you , Arjay.

I'm expecting too.

3986e1c8
Community Member

I hope my visual verification will be done soon and I am ready
8a264a69
Community Member

Hello, ArjayM

It's been a few days , any results?

8a264a69
Community Member

I tried different kind of background and light as the support requests said , but still failed to verification.

There was no email about support requests sent to me that I didn't realize the support and I can't replay to them.

Can upwork give me a video chat?

It's a big waste of time now.

I've just finished my id verification.
I've tried a lot of things, and finished the process when I finally switched to a different phone.
There were finally some notes in the oval for me to follow and pass the verification. It could be a bug for the different behaviour in two steps.
I think that the main reason for my failure is phone compatibility.

f0f525e0
Community Member

HI I am having trouble messaging a contractor I hired due to restricted message. 

Hi S H,

I checked your account and saw that you've been requested to complete the ID verification process. I noticed that the team has sent you an email as well. You can access the ticket here

~ Joanne
Upwork
15ca95a3
Community Member

i cannot visualy identify myself, it just keeps taking me back to the page where it says what ive done and what i havent but there is not option to visualy identify myself and now im stuck because i cant apply for jobs now. please help!

Hi Andre, 

I see that you were able to submit your selfie for verification, but your profile photo doesn't meet Upwork requirements. Your profile photo must meet the following requirements:

• It must look like you.
  • It must be a headshot-style photo.
  • Sunglasses, other individuals, logos, or pictures of anything other than your face are not allowed.

Please check this article for more information on updating your profile photo. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
15ca95a3
Community Member

i have changed it. it is now according to the guidelines, what now?

b168eaa9
Community Member

I did the selfie 3 times but every time it triggered manual review and failed. What should i do?

Hi Frankie.

Try retaking your selfie but this time, check the lightning around you. 

Check your background.your background should be clear and lastly Keep your camera and your hand stable. Don't shake them while taking selfie.If you try and the error message keeps coming,I suggest you contact Upwork customer support and tell them your experience.They will help you more.

Hi Odom, thanks for the advice. I tried doing it in good lighting and no hand shaking. There is no way to contact customer support. Hopefully they will open a support ticket for me soon.

Hi Frankie,

Click on your profile (not the part that will show you all the skills listed)

Check for the Part written "Help"

Click on "Help"

Navigate to the top .you will see "Contact Support"

Click on it .There will be top may options listed but look out for where they wrote .Chat with customer support. You can have a life chat with Upwork customer support the from there ,you can create a support ticket.

Hi Frankie,

I see that you were able to take your selfie, and as you mentioned above, it's currently under manual review. Kindly allow more time for the team to finish their review; they'll contact you directly if anything else is needed. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
b168eaa9
Community Member

Hi Luiggi, I have done the selfie 3 times already and triggered 3 times of manual reviews which did not pass in the end. I was not asked for any other information except for another new selfie. 

I noticed someone said you should wait till the manual review is done .

Kindly wait or you go to help center .you will see where you can chat with Upwork customer support.

94ec8164
Community Member

Hi Amy, 

I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

~ Nikola
Upwork
94ec8164
Community Member

We kindly request you to try again and first submit a government-issued photo ID before proceeding with the selfie or webcam verification. Kindly ensure that your mobile device is in a steady position and if possible in portrait position. Kindly ensure the “Desktop site” mode on your phone web browser is turned off.

I never said I issue with uploading my ID, I said I have issue taking my selfie. I have checked everything it still doesn't work as I said while clicking selfie it goes in a loop and nothing happens. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths