🐈
» Forums » Support » Web3 and Blockchain Scam
Page options
ubair_hamid
Community Member

Web3 and Blockchain Scam

Scammers are posting jobs and upon accepting the proposal send out a link to google form, asking for legit looking info but suspiciously always asking for Web3 wallet address. If you happen to fill it out once, then they keep posting jobs and re target you specifically.

The posts are getting more and more sophisticated and the client locations are varied. I have had the same group target posing as a UK, USA, German and Pakistani client. They have now advanced and are now using a so called AI bot to conduct a fake interview with pre fed prompts, then engage in social engineering attack where two three other selected candidates have already installed their provided malware and they pressure candidate to do the same.

When their tactics failed, the other candidate (part of scam) started insulting. When i did not fall for it he lost it and revealed he knew how much funds i had in my wallet coupled with more insults.

Then i was invited to a google meet call which ended soon after i joined. Apparently it was to confirm my email address for some reason. The client is still active trying to scam others out of their hard earned funds. 

This client is clearly scamming and has his phone and payment verified so he can be legally prosecuted also the other freelancers in the chat who are clearly part of the scam should have action taken against them.

Also what is Upwork doing to protect freelancers from such scams?

1 REPLY 1
69bf7a32
Community Member

I am sorry I cannot answer your question about protection from scams. I do have a question though: do you know the client's name? If I search his name, I can flag all of his posts. Screenshots of what he sent you might be helpful as well.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths