🐈
» Forums » Support » query regarding hourly pay
Page options
saima_faisal
Community Member

query regarding hourly pay

Hello all,

Its the first time I have been assigned an hourly pay contract. In a fixed-pay contract the client escrows the payment and the freelancer can proceed with the work. But can anyone tell me what happens in an hourly contract? Should I wait for the client to send payme nt in escrow or I just begin work?

Totally clueless right now. plesae help asap :):)

9 REPLIES 9
349e77ec
Community Member

Hi Saima F

Nice to see you here

You can start your work. Based on your work, client can see escrow invoice. When client release fund, Upwork deposit fund from escrow to your account

Is that for the hourly work job?

a941724c
Community Member

Well hourly rates are a bit different and somewhat in the control of the freelancer. 

So the clients sets how much he will pay per hour and how many hours he's ready to let a freelancer work for him per week. So it's up to the freelancer to use as much hours as needed for the job at hand. So after all is done and all hours used to complete the job, you can then send a bill to the clients based on the hours used to complete the job. Now upwork will be like "hey, here's your bill. The freelancer is done". The client then has a limited time to pay up. If he dosnt respond, your money goes to you anyway because upwork before now took the money from the client already.

This is a rough sketch but it's the idea.

a941724c
Community Member

However, there are other things go consider. If you want to work hourly, you need a laptop or computer. 

A screen shot of your screen is taken randomly every 10 mins to explain what you were doing those time you claimed you were working for clients. So if you can't explain what you were doing in a particular screen to the client, he can choose not to pay

a941724c
Community Member

So you can't be watching a movies for 5hours and claim you where working for the clients. There's always going to be a screenshot so you can't cheat.

a941724c
Community Member

Again if by any chance you don't turn on your timer that keeps tracks of your time, then you've just worked for nothing. No proof u worked at all.

So be careful if you are new to hourly jobs. Stick to fixed jobs for now. There are other things I can tell you about hourly jobs. Maybe another time.

But i got this hourly job and the contract has begun already. So I guess I will have to stick with this.

448e1445
Community Member

Hey Samia, congrats for the job. For an hourly job you will need the Upwork Desktop App. Install it and login their. You can start working on the project once you have started the tracker and it notifies you of time tracking. The tracker will take screenshots after every 10 mins and that will be recorded in your work diary. At the end of the week, your client will review the work diary and make the payment.

Have a nice time Upworking!

saima_faisal
Community Member

Thanks Ashia. Will read the tutorial here as well before I begin. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths