🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » How do I become a freelance writer?
Page options
seo_superior
Community Member

How do I become a freelance writer?

I am a top-rated freelancer here in Upwork and want to be a successful freelance writer. What are the basic rules and steps need to follow to become a freelance writer.?

Regards:

Aamer Khan

2 REPLIES 2
mandle
Community Member

**edited for Community Guidelines**

How to Become a Copywriter Quickly with No Experience, No Portfolio, and No Degree

Danny Margulies  389 Comments 

colettelewis
Community Member

Aamer K wrote:

I am a top-rated freelancer here in Upwork and want to be a successful freelance writer. What are the basic rules and steps need to follow to become a freelance writer.?

Regards:

Aamer Khan

Aamer, in my opinion, the basic rules are the following:

1) Write on subjects you have an interest in and  know about.

2) Depending on your subject/interests and market, you need to be able to epxress yourself well in English (and you do not necessarily have to be native/bilingual).

3) Practice writing. Don't read books about it. Just do it. (You could start by writing a few pieces for your portfolio) 

4) Start a blog. 

5) NEVER EVER copy anyone else's work, and if you do quote someone else, to illustrate a point in your own writing, give your source. 

If you are thinking of writing in English, and you are uncertain of your level, rather than paying out good money on how to sell yourself (that comes later) as per Danny Margulies, spend it on a reputable English writing/English course that can range from Coursera and Udemy to the  Cambridge certifications (UK), which are accepted on Upwork. https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/215650138-Add-Certifications

Good luck.