🐈
» Groups » Writers & Translators » Forum » What milestones mean
Page options
1643b28d
Community Member

What milestones mean

Hello everyone,  i just created my upwork account and apply for jobs,  there's this spot which says milestone,  please can someone explson to me detaily what it means?

1 REPLY 1
natkin-rick
Community Member

A project may be broken up into separate steps, or milestones.  For example, if you are hired to write a novel, you might have milestones like this:   

MILESTONE 1  

Create and submit a detailed story outline, including character arcs

and plot steps.                                                                                                          $_________  

MILESTONE 2 

Submit first 50% of Rough Draft  (  or  X # of words)                                      $__________  

MILESTONE 3  

Submit completed Rough Draft of Novel                                                           $___________

MILESTONE 4  

Review notes from client, and make revisions / polish draft                         $___________

>>> In example above, the total price of the work becomes the sum of the completed milestones.  That is what the total bid comes to - the sum of these steps.  They are good for the freelancer, because you are paid as you work.  Good for the client because they get to see what you are doing, and to make notes / comments / corrections as you go.  Also, they don't have to pay the whole thing all at once.   It gives both sides more security that payments and work are both progressing appropriately.