🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer location is suspicious
Page options
8f946a1b
Community Member

Freelancer location is suspicious

I often see freelancers claiming to be from the US when they very likely aren't. Is this so they can claim higher rates? Is this dishonest, or is this considered a global free market where freelancers from a country with an average $300/month salary can request $100 for a job that takes a couple hours?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lysis10
Community Member

yeah you want to report them and avoid them. Good on you for catching them. They just want to scam you.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I often see freelancers claiming to be from the US when they very likely aren't. Is this so they can claim higher rates?"

That is an interesting question.

I think you already answered the question.

I assume all or most all of the freelancers who claim they live somewhere other than where they really live do so because they believe it will allow them to earn more money.

re: "Is this dishonest?"

Yes.

It IS dishonest.

Which is a different question than asking:

"Is this particularly sinful within the context of this particular freelancer's moral framework?"

There are many things which are dishonest.

When your cousin asks if she looks good in that dress and you say "yes" because you don't want the drama and the breakdown you know will happen if you say "no" is dishonest.

Telling your boss's wife that her lasagna tastes good after your boss raved about the lasagna for 3 months and invited you to his house to taste it is dishonest.

Telling a child on your little league baseball team that his mother is dead as some sort of sick joke is dishonest.

There are many things that are dishonest.

Telling the police that your wife's diamond necklace was stolen by the maid who has been working for you for six months, when in actuality you gave that necklace to your mistress, is dishonest.

How does posting "United States" as your location on an internet freelance work platform when you actually live in Pakistan rank on the scale of severity when it comes to things that are dishonest?

That is something you will need to decide for yourself.

re: "or is this considered a global free market where freelancers from a country with an average $300/month salary can request $100 for a job that takes a couple hours?"

Well... This is true. This IS a global free market. And this IS a place where freelancers from a country with an average $300/month salary can request $100 for a job that takes a couple hours.

There is nothing wrong with that.

The fact that many freelancers with VERY low monthly salaries DO indeed use Upwork to get paid huge amounts of money relative to what their neighbors earn may be a concern to some. Some people may feel that allowing such freelancers to get paid a lot causes negative distortions or inequities in their local economies. But I think that is a very different topic than the topic of freelancers lying about their locations.

I would say the fact that so many freelancers in low-income countries ARE COMPLETELY HONEST about where they live and yet they still make very large amounts of money, and they are still able to compete with freelancers in higher-paid countries... That fact makes it even more egregious that some freelancers lie about their location. Because it is unnecessary to do so.

sajal36
Community Member

Upwork does the verification of the candidate and the locations are visible on the profile. I think there is no point in hiding the location. I believe the rate matter relative to skills such as if you are skilled in blockchain or web3 than you get much higher rate than vanila skills like .Net or Java.

I think this is misconception in freelancer mind that they will be better off if they hide there location. Job competition on upwork is highly competitive and that where some people mught think that hiding location is advantage. Infact truth is that they can earn more if they truthful and trustworthy. 

Community Member

ID verification does not occur until after the FL has been hired for their first job, so you have no reason to trust any freelancers with no work history. But good interview practices can make up for that.

lysis10
Community Member

yeah you want to report them and avoid them. Good on you for catching them. They just want to scam you.

2f863be5
Community Member

I don't support freelancers actually putting false locations, cause that is dishonesty.

I personally do not believe in this whole imposter thing.

However, I feel freelancers should be paid for the quality of their work, no matter where they are located.

The fact that someone stays outside the US doesn't mean he/she won't do an amazing job, so why pay the person less?

Pay based on the value someone adds you and your brand, not by their location.

Thanks

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths