🐈
» Forums » Clients » How you Select candidate for Project ?
Page options
6239d3cd
Community Member

How you Select candidate for Project ?

When i post a Job post i recieved so many proposal , and boosted also , that's why i can't select proper candidate for interview.

i just wanna know that which tricks you follow for select a best perfomer ??

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
arooj78
Community Member

1- Select multiple freelancers for larger projects on a trial basis and go with the best one after evaluating their performance.
2- If you are tight on a specific budget, check that range via their hourly rates and it'll automatically eliminate 2/3 of the proposals. ( Like if you have a high budget, eliminate the ones with low and intermediate hourly rates and so on )
3- Now you are left with 1/3rd of the applicants, shortlist some from that 1/3rd part by evaluating their cover letters, either they are precise or just copy-pasting long proposals, they are enthusiastic about the project or just sending boring templates, are they trying to engage you in conversation via proposal or using robotic tone. 
Interview them and go with your gut feeling. 
4- Check their reviews. ( not portfolio, it'd drain you to dig a lot of portfolios )
5- You've to do some experiments at the start, but ultimately you'll start identifying suitable freelancers. You are gonna have to invest some time in the interview process though.

Best of Luck.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

As a client, I have hired over 180 freelancers on Upwork.

In my opinion, you are thinking about this all wrong.

I don't try to select a "best performer."

That is impossible.

Think about it logically:
If 10 people apply to your job, how can you possibly know who the best performer will be unless you hire all 10?

By definition, you can't know that.

So what I do is try to hire somebody who can do the job.

And I monitor their work, especially early on, and if I don't love their work, I end the contract and hire somebody else.

I use Upwork to HELP ME accomplish my goals.

I do NOT post jobs so that I can coach freelancers or evaluate them or spend a lot of time thinking about a whole bunch of strangers on the Internet.

If a project is larger, then OF COURSE I hire MULTIPLE people and evaluate their work. And then continue working with the BEST ones. That is how serious clients save money on large projects: By hiring MULTIPLE freelancers and firing most of them, keeping only the best.

This approach (hire 10, fire 9) may work in some domains, but in tech domains it doesn't work like that. Many real experts don't even apply for jobs with more than 10 applicants. They also will not apply for jobs with ridiculously low rates.

Like you test freelancers, we test clients. We're not that stupid

arooj78
Community Member

1- Select multiple freelancers for larger projects on a trial basis and go with the best one after evaluating their performance.
2- If you are tight on a specific budget, check that range via their hourly rates and it'll automatically eliminate 2/3 of the proposals. ( Like if you have a high budget, eliminate the ones with low and intermediate hourly rates and so on )
3- Now you are left with 1/3rd of the applicants, shortlist some from that 1/3rd part by evaluating their cover letters, either they are precise or just copy-pasting long proposals, they are enthusiastic about the project or just sending boring templates, are they trying to engage you in conversation via proposal or using robotic tone. 
Interview them and go with your gut feeling. 
4- Check their reviews. ( not portfolio, it'd drain you to dig a lot of portfolios )
5- You've to do some experiments at the start, but ultimately you'll start identifying suitable freelancers. You are gonna have to invest some time in the interview process though.

Best of Luck.

"4- Check their reviews. ( not portfolio, it'd drain you to dig a lot of portfolios )"

I always recommend looking at portfolios because many scammer freelancers are not very bright and lazy, so they will use stolen stuff off the 'net. I've seen easily identifiable stories, documents, photos and lots of graphic artists, and I use that term loosely, using brand name motor vehicles, company logos, and other content they definitely did not create.

c2af7dc4
Community Member

When selecting the best performer from a large number of proposals, it can be helpful to use filters and sorting options to narrow down the pool of candidates. You can filter by factors such as experience level, hourly rate, and location, and sort by metrics such as job success score and earnings.

Additionally, carefully reviewing each proposal and considering factors such as relevant experience, communication skills, and availability can help you select the best candidate for an interview. It may also be helpful to conduct a brief screening call with top candidates before making a final decision.

Thank you!!!

bobafett999
Community Member

Do you really hire or you are just a $5/hr freelancer?

i think its depending on her/him last review

So you really believe you get a competent freelancer for 5$? Good luck

Apart from it being an insult for serious freelancers, Upwork has a rule that forbids slave labor. Your 5$ is roughly  4 times the minimum wage in the Philipines, and half the federal minimum wage in the US

5$/h clients should be thrown of the platform. They cost money for Upwork

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths