Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loose Money in Upwork

7bd0d548
Community Leader
Ilham B Member Since: Jul 26, 2016
21 of 43

Do NOT correlate PRICE with QUALITY in this discussion !, because it is NOT correlated at all what so ever ! 

It's more about correlation in beetween of PRICE with UNIQUENESS !.

EDUCATE YOURSELF WITH THESE ECONOMIC TERMS :

- Bidding vs Auction

- Demand & Supply Equilibrium (adam smith invisible hand theory)

=> So you'd know that there's NO CORRELATION between PRICE vs QUALITY.

What drives quality are :

1. Individual's Characters

2. Individual's Work Ethics

3. Individual's self motivation / passion

4. How the Clients/Boss's leads you

5. Talents

Etc

You may be self motivated when you hear a high salary, but overtime, when you are told to do something you are not passionate about with a high salary, it will demotivates you thus possibly the quality.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
22 of 43

re: "I can pay low and have no issues! If I do have issues, then just kick them off the contract and find another one untill I get best price and best quality which I usually did successfully."

This is all true.

I think this thread has some "cross talk", with many participants - maybe including myself - discussing points that are not of interest to the original poster.

Ilham:

You have developed a successful strategy for hiring freelancers while minimizing cost.

If a client hires very low cost freelancers and simply ends the contract with those freelancers if they don't work out and then hires another low-cost freelancer until a viable freelancer is found... that IS a legitimate hiring strategy.

Even if your strategy is not what some Upwork users prefer, it doesn't negate the fact that you have had success with it.

I think where there was some misunderstanding is that this is a public forum, and there is nothing wrong with various thread participants having viewpoints that differ from yours. You are not being attacked.

Thread participants may inject topics into the discussion that you don't think are directly related to your original post. And people may make points which younthink are false. But that is the nature of a public discussion forum such as this one.

This thread is more useful for having more than one viewpoint.

7bd0d548
Community Leader
23 of 43

"re: "Upwork should eliminate all unprofessional or fake freelancers... so clients does not loose money at all."

It would be great if Upwork did that. How do you suggest Upwork does that?"

=> Improves their SOP / algorithm.

This is one of the way (might be more) how a fake freelancer abused your upwork's SOP:

Week 1 work very well
Week 2 charged diary without actually are working according to our instruction, so client ask him to deliver the work.
Week 3 he makes fakes promises, like will be back next week can't work because out of town, blabla bla bla etc (but they will still charge some little money at this week without even actually are working)
Week 4 He again said, sorry sir still not back, will be back next week. (but they will still charge some little money at this week without even actually are working)
Week 5 He said, ok I quit, So by this time client can no longer force refund for the week 2's work nor even the week 3's work, but client can only get the so little amount at week 4.

If you can't remove these type of freelancers from your platform, please at least let me knows how to avoid them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I think where there was some misunderstanding is that this is a public forum, and there is nothing wrong with various thread participants having viewpoints that differ from yours. You are not being attacked."

==>

You may be right, but because of that, I never really get the right answer.

The original questions are (note, I hire for long term) :

1. I personally would want to pay higher to someone who has a unique skill/talent that I need as well as professional. But if he does not have any of that, why would a client pays these guys higher ? (asume SAME QUALITY!).

2. Why would a client pays a higher ammount on this platform to a replacedable freelancer where/whom you can pay to in a lower amount ? (asume SAME QUALITY!).

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
24 of 43

Ilham B wrote:

"re: "Upwork should eliminate all unprofessional or fake freelancers... so clients does not loose money at all."

It would be great if Upwork did that. How do you suggest Upwork does that?"

=> Improves their SOP / algorithm.

This is one of the way (might be more) how a fake freelancer abused your upwork's SOP:

Week 1 work very well
Week 2 charged diary without actually are working according to our instruction, so client ask him to deliver the work.
Week 3 he makes fakes promises, like will be back next week can't work because out of town, blabla bla bla etc (but they will still charge some little money at this week without even actually are working)
Week 4 He again said, sorry sir still not back, will be back next week. (but they will still charge some little money at this week without even actually are working)
Week 5 He said, ok I quit, So by this time client can no longer force refund for the week 2's work nor even the week 3's work, but client can only get the so little amount at week 4.

If you can't remove these type of freelancers from your platform, please at least let me knows how to avoid them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I think where there was some misunderstanding is that this is a public forum, and there is nothing wrong with various thread participants having viewpoints that differ from yours. You are not being attacked."

==>

You may be right, but because of that, I never really get the right answer.

The original questions are (note, I hire for long term) :

1. I personally would want to pay higher to someone who has a unique skill/talent that I need as well as professional. But if he does not have any of that, why would a client pays these guys higher ? (asume SAME QUALITY!).

2. Why would a client pays a higher ammount on this platform to a replacedable freelancer where/whom you can pay to in a lower amount ? (asume SAME QUALITY!).

This is possibly the best answer(s) to your own question(s) you will ever receive. Well done!

7bd0d548
Community Leader
25 of 43
Lol nice joke, I assume you're asking me to make an SOP and the algorithm for Upwork also ?

No one can answer my original question because there is no Single client in this discussion. You can't assume you know how client thinks if you are not even one.
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
26 of 43

Loose money just doesn't have any self-respect and needs to tighten up its morals.

7bd0d548
Community Leader
27 of 43
I am sorry, I did not understand. Seems just another out of topic discussion.
The discussion is, I will loose more money if I hire a higher salary freelancer, so if the freelancer is replaceable, why would I hire the expensive one ? Assume same quality.
You know you can buy same exact shoe by the same maker but at a different price right?

I know how freelancers thinks, because I have the experience working for someone else too. I feels I deserve a higher salary because I can produce more works in a more efficient time, faster, and better quality. Even my boss said I have all of that and were very sad to have me leave. But eventually, his final decision for a raise was not because any of that. But it's because of the external condition we're in which became the consideredable factor (market).

But then when I start hiring here, I realize some clients would be willing pay higher than what I can pay. So that initiate my original unanswered questions.
r2streu
Community Guru
Randall S Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
28 of 43

You can actually determine the quality of the freelancer based on his or her performance for other clients. Look for the JSS, read the reviews. If you want quality, don't hire someone with no or low JSS and/or negative reviews. 

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
29 of 43

Randall S wrote:

You can actually determine the quality of the freelancer based on his or her performance for other clients. Look for the JSS, read the reviews. If you want quality, don't hire someone with no or low JSS and/or negative reviews. 

I wish that were true. I know a freelancer that has been reported several times by clients for deliving machine translation. Sadly enough they all did a test she did great in and release the payment and left a feedback before reviewing the work. So the JSS can be quite meaningless and Upwork should start removing freelancer that have been reported as scammers.

ETA: That freelancer charges the sames rates as I do.

7bd0d548
Community Leader
30 of 43
Finally I found a decent comment which I sadly missed here, whom does not really talking and relating price on quality like a dork joke. 😂

Anyway, eventhough out of the topic discussion, I do agree reviews correlates with quality. But pay attention on the feedback filters such as how large the project is. They can garner fake reviews from small projects just to make it look good.

But really, I was hoping you answer me why would you pay more for a freelancer of same service to another freelancer (assuming same quality) ?

If user A and B sells data entry work, everything else is same, like have the same amount of reviews (so assume same quality), same experience etc, so why would any clients pay one of them for more ?