Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Not getting applicants for a pretty easy job posting

Community Guru
Elba A Member Since: Feb 28, 2017
11 of 34

Jake W wrote:

I hear ya, but one of these two proposals offered to do it for only $5  - which was also commonplace with my previous jobs  (and he suggested unlimited revisions).

Jake, free advice: this is the perfect formula for a disaster.

Cronica de una muerte anunciada - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

A Chronicle of a Death Foretold - Sorry, english is not my mother language.

Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
12 of 34

This is what happens when "US only" jobs are default for US clients and US clients change the default option only to get their job done dirt cheap.

Community Leader
Anna T Member Since: Jan 27, 2017
13 of 34

Agreed.  I had to cringe when I saw that.

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
14 of 34

Jake W wrote:

Last year I had several similar postings that got a lot of applicants, but this current post hasn't received any offers.  (I have good reviews, and I even increased the amount...)  It's set for world-wide, low experience, etc.  Any thoughts?

It has all the ingredients for not doing it.
"Easy" work, bad.
Explanation quite confused.
Ridiculous budget for that job.

When I find something like this, I wonder why the client does not do it, so easy and fast is the work!

Really, it does not surprise me that, nor the cheapest ones, want to apply.

Jake W Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
15 of 34

Fair enough.  Thanks for the feedback.  What is a fair price for:  "Use an arm and racquet from one image, and a head from another image..."???  To a layman like myself, it seems like 20 minutes of work for a graphic pro.  I've posted jobs where bids come in above and below my low-budget guesses, and everything works out well (i.e. 5 stars for all parties).  This forum seems pretty heavy on freelancer cynicism - of which I can empathize.  

Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
16 of 34

Have you considered posting it as an hourly job and asking applicants to tell you how many hours they think it will take?

You and I are not graphic deisgners and don't know what is involved. But the pros you need to hire are just that...pros. Ask them how long they think it will take.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
17 of 34

re: "Use an arm and racquet from one image, and a head from another image..."

This strikes me as a project that can be done very inexpensively using an hourly contract.

If it was me, personally, I would hire lower-cost freelancers to do this using an hourly contract.

If the deadline was the most important factor, I would hire 6 people and use the best work that was submitted, and throw away the rest.

If budget is the most important factor, I would hire using an hourly contract and NOT allow manual time, and observe the work being done by a SINGLE freelancer, and if they take too long or if I don't like their work, I would hire the next person on my candidate list.

Community Guru
18 of 34

If my goal was actually to have a final, nice image... and if I DON'T ACTUALLY need to combine images from other sources, then I would hire lower-cost artists to create an original image from scratch, rather than trying to tell people to composite pieces from other images.

You can hire artists to create all kinds of images, including abstract, icon-like, painted, cartoon-like, or even photo-realistic.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
19 of 34

Preston wrote:

I would hire 6 people and use the best work that was submitted, and throw away the rest.

Preston, for crying out loud, his budget is $ 15!

Preston wrote:

You can hire artists to create all kinds of images, including abstract, icon-like, painted, cartoon-like, or even photo-realistic.

For $ 15?

Community Guru
20 of 34

re: "Preston, for crying out loud, his budget is $15!"

When I talked about a project whose primary consideration is deadline, I was not considering budget as a factor. If budget is not a consideration (meaning that there is essentially no financial limit), then hiring 6 people to create artwork is a great way to guarantee having usable work by a specific deadline.

re: "You can hire artists to create all kinds of images, including abstract, icon-like, painted, cartoon-like, or even photo-realistic. For $15?"

Well, I wasn't talking about any specific budget.

But to answer your question: You can't get ALL of these options for $15.00.

But, by hiring on Upwork, you COULD get a cartoon-like drawing of a person holding a tennis racket (or whatever it is he wants) for $15.00.

You could do this using a properly-worded fixed-project OR an hourly contract with the right freelancer.

I have spent at least $1000 on artwork from Upwork freelancers. Artwork can be commissioned through Upwork for a wide variety of price ranges and a wide variety of quality levels.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS