🐈
» Forums » Clients » Why wait for too many proposals?
Page options
ecda7e76
Community Member

Why wait for too many proposals?

Isn't it better for clients to hire from the first few freelancers to send proposals?

Waiting till they're a lot makes one skip quality freelancers. 

7 REPLIES 7
sajal36
Community Member

We are trying to figure out on solution on the same which can be suggested to upwork. Contribute your thoughts to the below thread..

Why clients keep looking for proposal even they have 50+ already submitted 

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

It's not a question of why wait for so many proposals.

It's a question of, why did Upwork get the platform to a space where virtually every gig is flooded with 50+ proposals, sometimes in less than an hour.

Some bidding 300 Connects on a job.

Did they pay real money for those Connects?

You'd be forgiven for thinking this was a gambling site.

Upwork should have hard data by now on whether clients are more likely to hire when flooded with proposals. Or not.

You missed the point of OP's question: is it worth waiting for more proposals to arrive before beginning the selection process? Do the cons of missing good matches in a sea of proposals outweigh the pros of the increased chance to get better matches?

I did not.

I was addressing the wider, underlying issue and you're addressing the issue right before you.

Ask yourself, if every job got max 20 proposals, and OP had no problem getting seen and was landing two jobs for every 10 proposals, would she be asking this question?

Abinadab A wrote:

Ask yourself, if every job got max 20 proposals, and OP had no problem getting seen and was landing two jobs for every 10 proposals, would she be asking this question?

Since OP is asking a question about the client perspective, about when to start selecting freelancers from a job post, your hypothetical is irrelevant.

Community Member

I'm not a client, so I don't have first-hand experience with this. What I've read from others, though, inclines me to believe that you should start your selection process immediately. And by that, I include the initial separatation of the grain from the chaff by shortlisting promising candidates and archiving poor candidates. The sooner you start that process, the less overwhelming it will become as more proposals arrive.

fahadigc
Community Member

I think it is what we humans do.

In shopping malls, online shops, everywhere, we're searching for the "next."

Latest Articles
Learning Paths