cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work diary question as a Client?

Highlighted
Clint J Member Since: Oct 1, 2019
1 of 17

I am reviewing the work diary of a Freelancer and it shows screenshots with a green bar.  That is, I assume, the time that I am being charged for.  But what are the grayed out sections?  For example, on the attached image it shows green from 2 AM until 3 AM, and then nothing until 3.50 AM.  What determines the time I am being charged for - is the Freelancer having to "clock in" or "clock out" in order for the time to be counted as billable?  Capture.PNG

Highlighted
Community Guru
Andrei T Member Since: Aug 30, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 17

You are not being charged for time between 3:10 to 3:50. That's either because the freelancer clocked out during that time, or the time tracking application determined there simply was not enough activity (mouse/keyboard). The freelancer can also delete a time segment manually if they wish.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
3 of 17

Thanks Andrei! 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
4 of 17

The grey part in that screenshots are where your freelancer did not charge you time.  They could in theory go back and add manual time (assuming you allowed it) if this is the current week (they cannot when the timesheet enters the review period).  Manual time is yellow instead of green.

The screenshots come from a tool that runs on their computer and periodically takes a screenshot and also monitors their time.  It also keeps track of the amount of activity they perform (keystrokes and mouse movements) and that is the green marks next to the time are.  They can run the tool or stop the tool as they like but the tool will not take a screenshot if the person is not active.

The green bar above also includes a memo they can provide about what they are working on.  You should tell your freelancer they should fill that out and change it with what they are doing.   It is really in their best interest to do so as well as providing you with that information.  

Highlighted
5 of 17

Mark, thanks, I very much appreciate the clarity!  

Highlighted
Zhaklin B Member Since: May 13, 2019
6 of 17

What activity do you think you can have while you are in a meeting or in a training or even in the 15 min break allowed from the client? 

Why our work diary shows inactivity of 2-4 min for each screenshot while we are still working, for example, reading emails, answering calls fo customers etc?

Why are we not being paid properly? You can not assume that we are not working because that would be a big offense to all of us and more than this to our clients.

Do you think our clients are so stupid and pay us if we do not meet their expectations?

Please don't come out with the excuse that there are some freelancers charging clients without working hard to earn the salary.

If this ever happened it is not my problem I do not have to be punished on assumptions.  

Hopefully this time I will not be called a **Edited for Community Guidelines**with no rights and a **Edited for Community Guidelines**as I was called from you customer support  This is something I can not tolerate. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 17

Zhaklin B wrote:

Hopefully this time I will not be called a **Edited for Community Guidelines**with no rights and a **Edited for Community Guidelines**as I was called from you customer support  This is something I can not tolerate. 

I am fairly certain nobody in customer support has called you either "a slave with no rights" or "a thief."

So I must assume you are lying, on a public forum, out of sheer malice.

I hope Upwork handles such lies swiftly.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
8 of 17

Zhaklin B wrote:

What activity do you think you can have while you are in a meeting or in a training or even in the 15 min break allowed from the client? 

Why our work diary shows inactivity of 2-4 min for each screenshot while we are still working, for example, reading emails, answering calls fo customers etc?

Why are we not being paid properly? You can not assume that we are not working because that would be a big offense to all of us and more than this to our clients.

Do you think our clients are so stupid and pay us if we do not meet their expectations?

Please don't come out with the excuse that there are some freelancers charging clients without working hard to earn the salary.

If this ever happened it is not my problem I do not have to be punished on assumptions.  

You are being paid properly in this scenario......

You are paid in 10 min segments, if it shows inactivity for 6 min during those 10 you will still be paid for the 10.

It is a tool so the client can see the work that the freelancer is doing (and upwork can make sure you worked correctly if they need to make a protected payment to you).

This doesnt ALWAYS work, as some jobs may involve no computer use, or limited mouse/keyboard usage. But, it gives some indication to the client about the work that is completed. If you are supposed to be typing for example and you log 60 min but are active for only 1 min in every 10 then the client can see that and question you accordingly (though Upwork will still bill for the 60 min)

If you dont like that system you are free to log MANUAL time - However, be aware that manual time comes with no protection from upwork over your hourly billing. But if you really hate the time tracker and benifits it brings, then i guess that is not an issue.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 17

Clint J wrote:

I am reviewing the work diary of a Freelancer and it shows screenshots with a green bar. Capture.PNG

I might be concerned about this work diary (depending on what the freelancer does for you). Not because of the activity levels as such (it depends on what the freelancer is hired to actually do for you) but because the freelancer seems to have spent half an hour looking at one and the same page (2:10 to 2:40) and 40 minutes spent looking at another (2:00 to 2:10 and 2:40 until 3:10)

Can this be explained by the nature of the work that freelancer is hired to do (an hour and 10 minutes spent looking at two pages doing essentially nothing that involves the computer?)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 17

Petra R wrote:

Clint J wrote:

I am reviewing the work diary of a Freelancer and it shows screenshots with a green bar. Capture.PNG

I might be concerned about this work diary (depending on what the freelancer does for you). Not because of the activity levels as such (it depends on what the freelancer is hired to actually do for you) but because the freelancer seems to have spent half an hour looking at one and the same page (2:10 to 2:40) and 40 minutes spent looking at another (2:00 to 2:10 and 2:40 until 3:10)

Can this be explained by the nature of the work that freelancer is hired to do (an hour and 10 minutes spent looking at two pages doing essentially nothing that involves the computer?)

llol was waiting for you to say that. I was thinking "hmmmm it's the same 2 screenshots in 7 segments with very low activity."  I guess like you said it depends on what this person was supposed to do but YIKES on that diary if this freelancer was supposed to be doing more than staring at email.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS