🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Wrong payment
Page options
melch20
Community Member

Wrong payment

Fixed price job of $5.50. I wanted to be nice and pay 50% via bonus but in stead I relased payment of 5.50 plus bonus. No possibility to contact upwork for some hep.

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

It is not necessary to contact Upwork in order to use the Pay Bonus tool, nor is it necessary to contact them in order to learn how the tool works.

If you have questions about how the tool works, you may ask here in the Forum.

But to explain it most simply, the tool lets you specify a dollar amount that you may pay to a freelancer at any time.

Bonus payments are not related to the amount of money a freelancer earns using an hourly contract or a fixed-price contract.

If you paid a bonus to a freelancer that was an incorrect amount, you may ask the freelancer to refund that amount to you.

I paid more than I want or agreed with the freelancer. How can I cancel the payment?

petra_r
Community Member

@Melchior M wrote:

I paid more than I want or agreed with the freelancer. How can I cancel the payment?

You can't, but you can ask the freelancer to issue a refund. As it was such a miniscule payment I wouldn't personally bother though.

First of all, Melchior is one cool name. Wasn't he one of the Wise Men?

Second: I agree...$2.25 "bonus"? Leave that one alone....I mean out of that total the freelancer is having $1.50 taken out in fees and then another dollar to transfer it to Paypal, then whatever she pays ultimately in taxes...really, just....give her those pennies she's actually clearing.

JoanneP

Hi Melchoir,

Preston is correct. You can add a bonus to your payment for your fixed-price project. Please check out this help article for more information. As for your concern with the refund, you can reach out to the freelancer you hired so that you can discuss about refunding the amount. The Freelancer can click on the option to give refund and specify the amount.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Umm - even clients should read the small print about the different methods of payment before hiring. But I have rarely seen a client quibbling over $5.50 . Particularly one in the western hemisphere.

It is not even %5.50.  It is 50% of that or $2.25.  If I read the post correctly they just released the payment of $7.75 instead of 5.50 + 50% via the bonus button. 

Even in Asian countries $7.75 does not go far - may be a dinner or couple of lunches.  Where is the bandwidth policemen?.....we are wasting bandwidth over $2.25.

cupidmedia
Community Member

@Melchior M wrote:

Fixed price job of $5.50. I wanted to be nice and pay 50% via bonus but in stead I relased payment of 5.50 plus bonus. No possibility to contact upwork for some hep.

Why would paying 50% of the job via bonus be "nice"? It makes no difference to the freelancer in terms of the fee they pay, or their JSS, or anything else. In fact, if anything, paying for work actually done via bonus instead of milestone actually *disadvantages* the freelancer, because they have no payment protection for bonus payments.

A "bonus" is pretty clearly, by definition, an addtional payment you make for a job well done...

Latest Articles
Learning Paths