cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone here a "digitalnomad"? (travel/work at the same time )

Highlighted
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
31 of 69

There are sites for staying at someone's home for free, as long as you look after pets, like TrustedHouseSitters. Not that these homes are necessarily made for freelancers, but still quite some are well equipped, as far as I know. You just get to live in someone's house for free while they are away, and you look after a cat or a dog or something. Some want you to look after a whole farm though with 10 horses and 50 cows and god knows how many other animals, but most are just one or two pets. Never tried it though.

Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
32 of 69

Eve L wrote:

There are sites for staying at someone's home for free, as long as you look after pets, like TrustedHouseSitters. Not that these homes are necessarily made for freelancers, but still quite some are well equipped, as far as I know. 

Yeah, I meant something a bit more specific for freelancers, also including just staying a few days with the actual homeowner, who is also a freelancer, at home. Freelancers understand each other's lifestyle. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
33 of 69

Petra R wrote:

Eve L wrote:

There are sites for staying at someone's home for free, as long as you look after pets, like TrustedHouseSitters. Not that these homes are necessarily made for freelancers, but still quite some are well equipped, as far as I know. 

Yeah, I meant something a bit more specific for freelancers, also including just staying a few days with the actual homeowner, who is also a freelancer, at home. Freelancers understand each other's lifestyle. 

I would love that, I think. I would try it at least. If you create an app or something I'll sign up. (Just perhaps wait for this virus-business to settle first. Don't think this is the best time to launch something like this.)

Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
34 of 69
Petra R wrote:

I think that's a great idea (once the Coronavirus is under control, of course). There are starting to be more and more accommodations geared towards freelancers, but the ones that I've seen so far are really expensive. A Couchsurfing/Airbnb type website specifically for freelancers would be way better.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Aziz U Member Since: Oct 30, 2018
35 of 69

Wouldn't mind working on it on my off time. So esentailly you can put info about yourself (linkedIn/upwork profile) and the place you can offer. You can choose to swap or just share your place with another freelancer. 

Any ideas for name? Freelancebnb? Nomadbnb?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
36 of 69

Aziz U wrote:

Wouldn't mind working on it on my off time.

Seriously, shall we? 

Aziz U wrote:

Wouldn't mind working on it on my off time. So esentailly you can put info about yourself (linkedIn/upwork profile) and the place you can offer.

Good idea! That would make it a little safer.

Aziz U wrote:

Wouldn't mind working on it on my off time. So esentailly you can put info about yourself (linkedIn/upwork profile) and the place you can offer. You can choose to swap or just share your place with another freelancer. 

Any ideas for name? Freelancebnb? Nomadbnb?

Maybe have a points / coins / connects based system. different models - outright renting without swapping, sharing with owner in situ (I can see that being pretty popular as it can lead to more friends-making and the creation of an international freelancer network)

How about also having options for groups of digital nomads to rent larger holiday accomodation together.

Like 7 strangers freelancers from all over the world renting a villa in Tuscany for 2 weeks in September

I think this has real potential!

Highlighted
Community Guru
37 of 69

Renting things together is quite common. I see loads of posts in DN forums for people wanting someone to share a house with for a month or two. It's also a great way of networking, as long as the other ones are real freelancers, not just people who travel without money and think being a DN is a career itself. So some kind of vetting of members would be needed. Think this means you'll need some sort of FSS – Freelancer Success Score... 

Aziz U Member Since: Oct 30, 2018
38 of 69

Eve L wrote:

Renting things together is quite common. I see loads of posts in DN forums for people wanting someone to share a house with for a month or two. It's also a great way of networking, as long as the other ones are real freelancers, not just people who travel without money and think being a DN is a career itself. So some kind of vetting of members would be needed. Think this means you'll need some sort of FSS – Freelancer Success Score... 

Hmmm...DN forums? Mind sharing which ones? Didn't know there were forums for DNs (not sure if you are allowed to share links here)

And yea. I agree, vetting is really important. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
39 of 69

Aziz U wrote:

Hmmm...DN forums? Mind sharing which ones? Didn't know there were forums for DNs (not sure if you are allowed to share links here)

There are loads of forums - I belong to one on Facebook that's for women only (sorry), but you can find loads more there, or just by doing a Google search. 

Please keep us posted if you do decide to go ahead with creating a website. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
40 of 69

Aziz U wrote:

And yea. I agree, vetting is really important. 

You can start at Reddit: r/digitalnomad
You'll get more ideas for other forums there. Smiley Happy