cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone here a "digitalnomad"? (travel/work at the same time )

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
61 of 66

Christine A wrote:

Jamie F wrote:

I went to Phuket for a break in 2004 (I live in Bangkok). To cut a long story short, the room on the right with a truck in front of it was the room that my wife and I stayed in. Needless to say, we had quite an awakening that morning and are both extremely lucky to get to tell the tale. We were literally trapped underwater at one point. 

Wow! I've only ever been in a small earthquake, and that was scary enough!

We get them frequently here, as I'm not that far from the main faultline that runs along the "spine" of Italy and that caused the massive earthquake in L'Aquila in 2009.

They're mostly "mild" but there was one that scared me. First the cats came in and curled up. Then a noise started which sounded like a giant lion deep below the building. Then things started shaking.

Wasn't so funny.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
62 of 66

I lived in Anchorage, Alaska for several years. Occasionally, I would wake up in the middle of the night for no reason -- just come wide awake. I was an excellent sleeper in those days, so it was puzzling. After a few years, it finally happened one day during an afternoon nap when I wasn't as deeply asleep, and I realized it was an earth tremor. That solved the mystery.

One afternoon I happened to be in a home furnishings store, in the china and crystal department, when an earthquake occurred. It was strong enough to make a few empty bookcases fall over on the floor above (and to make every piece of glass and porcelain in the place tremble). Part of my brain knew what was happening and what I should do (move to a doorway for shelter) but the part of my brain that had control of my body completely froze. I could no more have picked up my feet than a tree could have walked across the park. It was the oddest thing I'd ever experienced. A couple of aftershocks later, when I was driving my car, were more alarming.

The next year I was doing fieldwork in the Aleutians. Four of us were lounging on the tundra on the south end of Unalaska Island one afternoon, waiting for our helicopter pickup to ferry us back to Dutch Harbor. For a few seconds, the earth under us kind of rolled. It was a familiar feeling but out of place -- it was very like the sensation of gentle waves rolling under your kayak. It was strong enough that we would've lost our footing if we'd been standing or walking. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
63 of 66

Earthquakes sound terrifying and I wonder how I would be if I were in one. I always saw all the northerners in Florida go insane when a hurricane was coming and I was always 🤷‍♀️and just went about my  day. Never did anything in preparation except get hurricane glass so I could watch a hurricane from my living room.

I wonder if it's the same for people in earthquake towns where foreigners come around and freak out and they are like 'oh, right it's earthquake season.'

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
64 of 66

Jennifer M wrote:

Earthquakes sound terrifying and I wonder how I would be if I were in one. I always saw all the northerners in Florida go insane when a hurricane was coming and I was always 🤷‍♀️and just went about my  day. Never did anything in preparation except get hurricane glass so I could watch a hurricane from my living room.

I wonder if it's the same for people in earthquake towns where foreigners come around and freak out and they are like 'oh, right it's earthquake season.'

Where I live it's tornados.  I remember my dad talking to a guy from California and he was super freaked out about the idea of tornados so my dad asked him about earthquakes and he was all 🤷‍♀️.

I have only seen a tornado once (it was actually two at the same time) and it was in Denver, CO.  It can happen, it's best to be safe when it does, but the odds of it affecting you are pretty small.  I was in an earthquake in LA once and it was rare because someone was actually killed when, if I remember correctly, a wall that they were working on fell on them.  I mostly slept through it but it definitely shook me awake.  I went to work at Target and the store was closed because there was crap all off the shelves but other than that it was no big deal.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
65 of 66

I've never seen a tornado, but we get waterspouts (It's kinda like a tornado over water) and they're spectacular to watch

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
66 of 66

I've been in tornadoes twice, by which I mean the place where I was sleeping was within 100 yards of something that got destroyed. Once was in North Dakota, sleeping in a two-person tent. The storm woke me in the middle of the night and even though it was terrifying, my tent seams were holding and I was dry. The alternative was to bail out and run for the farmhouse 50-60 yards away, and spend the rest of the night on the floor with no bedding (or soaking wet if I took it with me). (Archaeology field team was headquartered on a farm, we used the house for kitchen & lab and slept about the place in tents.) Crew chief had identical tent to mine, pitched about 50 yards from me, learned the next morning he bailed out when his tent poles got corkscrewed.

Second time was in the middle of Atlanta. Dreamed the railroad tracks were in my backyard, freight trains roaring by outside the window. Woke up and realized the noise was real. The next morning, the neighborhood had many 100-year old trees down including one less than 1/4 mile away.

I have a hurricane story too, from 2018. The moral of that one is, next time I'm leaving.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS