Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't know about you, but I'm about to leave Upwork

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
21 of 31

Angela D wrote:

Unfortunately, Upwork advised in this thread that they do not disclose the name of the third-party vendor handling verifications. In addition, it hasn't been confirmed if the government-issued photo IDs will be stored for 30 days as stated in the community forum or for "at least 5 years" as stated in Upwork's Privacy Policy

oooof. It's there forever. Just have to accept that. The 5 year thing is just corporate speak lol I would just accept your ID is there forever.

Ace Contributor
Nikolaos D Member Since: May 4, 2016
22 of 31

Of course, Upwork has value to people and provides a service but that's why it charges money for it (project fees, connects, subscriptions etc).

But when there are concerns regarding the verification, I think that's problematic. They have not been very clear about it. Who will access our personal data, where are they located physically, what will they do with them and where will they be store them?

If the safety of the platform is the goal, how can you solve it by only checking one fraction of it? Clients and new freelancers that have nothing to lose, can be fraudulent too.

Darryl L Member Since: Dec 24, 2018
23 of 31

I am long-term client of upwork,not freelancer.

I have no thorough research on the new account plan,but roughly,I think the strategist of Upwork is quite greedy

but that's not the core issue,the core issue is that upwork even do not intend to build a skills test questions bank,but ridiculously ax this good mechnism to evalute freelancer's proficiency.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I know a huge skill quiz bank costs much,but I do think upwork can afford it!

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
24 of 31

Darryl, from the high-quality professional freelancers' perspective the one glaring fault is the limit of 3 invites only under the free plan for buyers.  (This might now be 5 or 6; no one is sure as we continue to get conflicting statements from U)

The skills tests were outdated and multiple guess > neither was a true test of knowledge or skills.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
25 of 31

Wendy C wrote:

Darryl, from the high-quality professional freelancers' perspective the one glaring fault is the limit of 3 invites only under the free plan for buyers.  (This might now be 5 or 6; no one is sure as we continue to get conflicting statements from U)

The skills tests were outdated and multiple guess > neither was a true test of knowledge or skills.

To add to Wendy's comment, it is very easy to cheat on these tests, with answers being readitly available compliments of Google. Nor are the tests any indication that the person you're hiring knows anything about how to establish a good working (and professional) relationship with their clients ... every bit as important as the end product of the job.

Some freelancers lie about what they can deliver, despite what their tests scores might indicate - ending with cries of "I want a refund".

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
26 of 31

I have actually thought about taking some in my skill areas to see how I would fair before they go but they take like 60 minutes and I would rather do something else.

Community Guru
27 of 31

Mark F wrote:

I have actually thought about taking some in my skill areas to see how I would fair before they go but they take like 60 minutes and I would rather do something else.

I took one even though I knew they were going away because I don't trust them to take it out of search factors.

I did LOL at the thread announcing the deicision. It's flooded with NEETs haha

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
28 of 31

How did you do?  I am sure, like me, you have taken some of these before and the questions are just so awful.

A community that cannot agree on anything all agreeing about something.  I have seen people who have complained, mostly clients who are looking for credibility indicators.  

Community Guru
29 of 31

Mark F wrote:

How did you do?  I am sure, like me, you have taken some of these before and the questions are just so awful.

A community that cannot agree on anything all agreeing about something.  I have seen people who have complained, mostly clients who are looking for credibility indicators.  

yeah I don't think the tests matter to clients, but I think they are part of search factors so I wanted to take them for that reason. I did well on the three I showed. The SEO one had some really dumb, bad questions. Internet security was pretty straightforward. Technical writing I'm surprised I passed because I'm not a technical writer. Smiley Very Happy

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
30 of 31

Mark F wrote:

They don't, really. I only took a few, but they took a small fraction of the time slated (like four minutes instead of 20-30).

That could be a problem, too, though. There was a big scandal a couple of years back when one of our very experienced editors got suspended for finishing an 8th-grade-level grammar test too quickly.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS