🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Any advice for a rookie graphic designer?
Page options
shikhar-sengupta
Community Member

Any advice for a rookie graphic designer?

My skills are pretty limited at this point. I've only been in the graphic design for 2 years for my high school, and I've been doing some work outside as well.

However, even when I update my credentials as much as possible, there's still not a lot of job revenue I can take advantage of; the causes are either a restriction on the applicant's profile or a quality I don't seem to have.

If anyone can give me advice on how I should find my clients, that would be very helpful, and thanks again!

2 REPLIES 2
zoomconcepts
Community Member

Well since you yourself think that your skills are still limited, perhaps try working on them first, and then on landing contracts later. I know it's not what anyone on a job board wants to hear but in a competitive field as the graphic design you have to offer your client something beside price - skills.

Work on creating a better portfolio - browse the internet for inspiration, look at projects on Behance and other design hubs, use whatever time you can spare for personal design projects that can help you raise your level. Then add the best of your works to your portfolio here, to showcase some range. Meanwhile I suggest applying only to projects that you're absolutely certain are in your comfort zone when it comes to skill level - something you're 100% sure you can deliver on. Otherwise you risk stacking up feedback that won't help you in the long run.

Hi, i am new to this, i am just reading up to get a firm background on what the freelancers business is about, still have'nt done my profile yet.  I think your comment on this issue is thought provoking and i can also benefit from your advise as well.  Focus on what you can do and do it to the best of you ability and build an excellent profile

@Bojana D  wrote:

Well since you yourself think that your skills are still limited, perhaps try working on them first, and then on landing contracts later. I know it's not what anyone on a job board wants to hear but in a competitive field as the graphic design you have to offer your client something beside price - skills.

Work on creating a better portfolio - browse the internet for inspiration, look at projects on Behance and other design hubs, use whatever time you can spare for personal design projects that can help you raise your level. Then add the best of your works to your portfolio here, to showcase some range. Meanwhile I suggest applying only to projects that you're absolutely certain are in your comfort zone when it comes to skill level - something you're 100% sure you can deliver on. Otherwise you risk stacking up feedback that won't help you in the long run.

Bojana D wrote: