cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking for Sketches before Placing Contracts

Vinicius C Member Since: Dec 13, 2020
1 of 4

Hi, y'all!

I'm a new freelancer in the platform, been using for only 4 days and already received the rising talent badge.

The thing is, after sending 10 proposals, one client reach out to me and said that, since i'm new there and got no reviews at all, that she would want to see if i could get the job done.

She asked for 3 different sketches, which i did the work and sent to her. The thing is, after sending the last one (which took me 30min to get it done) she just stopped responding. I thought she could be deciding or not if she was going to hire me. So, i asked politely for a position, since other proposals were rolling over and she was just super unpolite. 

Again, i'm new here and since i dont get any reviews i wanted to be proactive and show her i could get the job done.

How you guys manage clients who wants 'work for free' kind of stuff to know if i have the skills to get the job done?

(even though i'm new, i think i got scam up)

Thanks !

All the best

Community Guru
Melanie M Member Since: Jul 13, 2016
2 of 4

I think you just did a job for free.  You're new and got taken advantage of. Don't feel bad. Most of us fell for that when we first started here, as well.  Lesson learned.

So, what to do in the future?  Build up a good portfolio which contains a variety of samples of what you do -- different styles, media, etc.  That SHOULD be sufficient for most clients who want to see what you can do. If they want more evidence, then maybe offer a small test job or an incomplete one for a lower "test rate," if you like. Watermark it or make it just complete enough that the client gets an idea of your skill but can't actually USE it (hopefully). 

I wish you luck here on Upwork. I've been here a little over 4 years and love it. I'm just at hobbyist earning a little spending cash on the side now, as I have a full-time day job.  I hope to expand my freelancing enterprise when I retire, though. Off to a good start!

Vinicius C Member Since: Dec 13, 2020
3 of 4

Thank you so much Melanie. That was really sweet of you.

And of course, i'm just learning. Next time i'll be wiser when i client does something like this.

Thank you!

All the best

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
4 of 4

Vinicius C wrote:

Thank you so much Melanie. That was really sweet of you.

And of course, i'm just learning. Next time i'll be wiser when i client does something like this.

Thank you!

All the best

You should also know that it is against TOS for clients to ask for free work. When that happens, report them. You can learn more by reading the wealth of information Upwork provides for new freelancers