🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Freelancing dry spell
Page options
e_huma-s_zill
Community Member

Freelancing dry spell

I took a break for a month or two but after that the freelance project pace has been really slow. For past year I ahve not been able to earn favourable projects. some months I have no projects at all. Just wondering if everyone goes through it and how do you get back on track.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cyber_sec007
Community Member

Gents, there is a global financial/energy crisis going on at the moment, inflation is record-high everywhere, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021%E2%80%932022_inflation_surge as well as a war ongoing. Companies and clients become a bit conservative, they not going to spend on projects unless is a must and necessary, they post jobs but do not hire, just probing the market. It sucks and scary I know from first hand, it took me 8 weeks to score a new client. 

I hope it will get better for all of us. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
necarelin
Community Member

Hi! I am going through the same right now. Already three months  without a project, complete silence from clients no matter boosted proposals or not. I cant explain it, because I always send a link to my ArtStation portfolio and it is pretty strong and to my instagram - I post a lot of different studies and sketches there. I also add in attachment works that suit a job description the best. Tried to propose lower hourly rate to the clients - works nothing. Ist is like I was shadowbanned. No big, no small projekts. Bought connects twice... I am ready to left Upwork for good.

Upwork is also not working for me but I have not set any other freelance resourses. But Please let me know if the spell breaks. or any tips
Thanks Vira

I just checked your profile and you are doing great! 7k in a year is awesome. My first year I had only$500.

It was mostly previous year. Now I have absolutely nothing here... first time from what I am here I had to buy connects three times in a row (more than 120 connects spent) and it turned into nothing. Something just had changed here. Might be it is because of this boost proposals thing? I hate that with the huge comission upwork takes from freelancers now I had to buy connects too to lend a job. 

You should display you portofilo on behance and get a domain. that might help better things. share your portoflio in cover letters. do find projects locally as well. I made this mistake of not working in local community and have only upwork.

zoltankosa
Community Member

I also have to make a lot more effort than in the past to get upwork projects. It usually takes me over 30 proposals to land one job. I write clearly and engagingly. Every proposal is carefully written for the specific job and still things are slow.

Same here! It is sad to hear this that no matter how hard you work its just not enough. Keep me post-it about your progress

Had a slow summer, but I see more exciting jobs lately. No responses to my proposals so far.

I am getting more projects offers than replies to my proposals.

cyber_sec007
Community Member

Gents, there is a global financial/energy crisis going on at the moment, inflation is record-high everywhere, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021%E2%80%932022_inflation_surge as well as a war ongoing. Companies and clients become a bit conservative, they not going to spend on projects unless is a must and necessary, they post jobs but do not hire, just probing the market. It sucks and scary I know from first hand, it took me 8 weeks to score a new client. 

I hope it will get better for all of us. 

muddasar-raja
Community Member

Sometimes things go in your favor and sometimes you are so sure about project but still you don't get it. Easiet way to stay on track for me, is that I know I am doing freelancing and in my mind I stay positive that I will get projects and I do. Somehow I am very lucky that I always get projects which are long term mostly... Always keep diging and keep improving your skills. Highly recommend that don't ever stay at 1 point, just keep improving your skills in your free time and try to offer and search projects with you new skills as well.

You are right! That is precisely what I do each time I don't have projects - study and level UP. It opens new opportunities and makes it easier to go back to work when you get a gig 😃