🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Help! What if Freelancer Just Didn't Listen a...
Page options
6eb25734
Community Member

Help! What if Freelancer Just Didn't Listen and Blew It?

I hired a freelancer to make a 2-min explainer. I was extremely clear through several correespondences (plus my original project description) of what I wanted, and sent a powerpoint deck as background material. The freelancer took the assignment, and messaged me multiple times that "she got it" and was excited and could meet my deadline.

I have many years of multimedia development experience and was looking to hire mostly on graphic/animation skills, which I was assured the freelancer had. I was extremely clear in saying the explainer would not use a narrator (text callouts only) and does not use text verbatim from the powerpoint. This explainer was for a very specific audience, and I asked several times in correspondence for a chance to discuss/collaborate,  I put half the agreed-upon fee in escrow - I wanted to see samples before committing to the whole job. 

When I finally got to talk to the freelancer, it was obvious that she (and her "team") had not read any of my directions (despite multiple correspondences and assurances that "I've got this."). She asked elementary questions again that I had answered multiple times in mail. She did not give me a chance to explain what I wanted, and when I insisted, she said, "let us do a script first, then see what you say." I didn't want a script -- there is no narration!! (She might have meant storyboard or outline or something else, so I was willing to go along on this).

I knew from the one short phone conversation that this freelancer didn't listen and didn't get it, and was a bad hire. She even said to me that "most people don't want to talk on the phone about the project." - whether that's true or not, it was not true in this case. I said to her straight out, it doesn't look like we're on the same page with this at all, and now I have to go and find someone else (losing a week of time). She insisted that it would all be clear once they show me the "script" and that I would have it Mon morning (today) and that I should reserve any judgement until then. I agreed -- maybe she's a bad communicator but does good work and can pull this out of the hat?

I get sent a "script" in Google docs and - dammit - it's exactly what I didn't ask for, she did not listen to any of the direction I gave, and her work is not usable. Now I've lost a week, and I don't feel I should have to pay for what I didn't ask for and what I can't use.. Good work-bad work is a judgement call, and I was a freelancer myself for years, so I'm sympathetic. But this was just very disappointing to say the least, and I don't feel I should pay for work that I can't use.

What do I do? I don't have any confidence in this freelancer and don't want to work with her, so giving her another shot seems a waste of even more time. How can I terminate in a situation like this? Am I obligated to pay what's in escrow?

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

If your account of what happened is remotely accurate just end the contract and ask for your Escrow funds back (if you believe the freelancer will not be able to rectify what went wrong) - or offer to pay some token amount to be able to leave feedback.

The freelancer can dispute this, but chances are they won't.

6eb25734
Community Member

This is my first experience at Upwork like this, eveyrone else I've hired has been great. Even this freelancer got good reviews, so her cookie-cutter explainers must be working for her and other clients,  But this job was not that and she should not have taken this project, I don't want to leave bad feedback and mess up someone's ability to get work. If I cancel, what is a "token" payment? Obviously they put some work in -- it just wasn't what was asked for.

silw
Community Member

Hi Ron,

one advice for furture projects might be that you hire up to 5-10 freelancers to do an initial concepts of your project to determine who understands your ideas the best and continue on work with them.

This way you might have to invest a couple of thousands before the project actually starts, but this lowers chances of hiring a time and money-waster like you did in this case.

@Aron H wrote:

Hi Ron,

one advice for furture projects might be that you hire up to 5-10 freelancers to do an initial concepts of your project to determine who understands your ideas the best and continue on work with them.

This way you might have to invest a couple of thousands before the project actually starts, but this lowers chances of hiring a time and money-waster like you did in this case.

For small projects like this one, 2-3 people would be sufficent. No way would the OP need to invest in $2,000 for a test for this kind of job.

Plus, the OP hired a someone who was on a TEAM, and TEAMS often do this kind of bait and switch.

THAT is really the point. The OP should avoid hiring TEAMS for small graphic design projects in the future. Or at the very least, do more due diligence before hiring one again.

barada00
Community Member

Ron, I read very similar stories before.  My advice to you would be when/if you hear the word "team", run like your life depends on it. The first person you met was probably the person responsible for sending offers. The second person is their so called director or coordinator who then gave the info he received or thought he received to a 3rd person who would do the job for a quarter of the price you are paying. You don't have to pay anything IMO and I would leave a feedback telling everything I experienced. Think about the next person that will be in your shoes. Just give a small amount so that you CAN leave a feedback and leave an honest one.

b.

re: "How can I terminate in a situation like this? Am I obligated to pay what's in escrow?"

The honorable thing for the freelancer to do in a situation like this would always be to agree immediately to a complete refund.

The expedient and time-saving thing for a client to do in situations like this is often to release payment and close the contract immediately.

I suggest asking the freelancer if she will accept a 50% payment, which you will release immediately. She won't need to do any more work on the project and the matter will be closed. This is a generous offer. You can explain that the alternative is to be paid nothing.