🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » If You're Calling Yourself a Graphic Designer...
Page options
mtngigi
Community Member

If You're Calling Yourself a Graphic Designer ....

Do not design a label (or anything else) that contains tons of tiny text in Photoshop, using over a hundred layers to achieve this.

A client RFP stated that the printer needed a flattened vector file, not the nonsense her freelancer presented her with: a bloated, multi-layered Photoshop file the printer could not use. I interviewed with her, but unfortunately I couldn't meet the urgent deadline - I had the misfortune of opening and viewing the Photoshop file she received from the freelancer. The only reply I could give her was "what a mess".

Photoshop is not a page layout program, people … not for something where all the little tiny type has to be trapped using the 4-color printing process. Yes, Photoshop can be used for some things with text, like posters with large headlines and very little copy and a few logos … but not for a supplement label containing 3 pt. text, I was just flabbergasted at the way this project was done.

Photoshop: raster program, crappy type. InDesign or Illustrator: vector programs, nice sharp scalable print files.

If you don't know the difference or understand the 4-color printing process, you shouldn't be doing this kind of work. If a client asked for a PS layered file because they don't know any better, educate them, don't send them crap like this.

End of rant.

8 REPLIES 8
tgstudio
Community Member

Preach!

mtngigi
Community Member

@Amy T wrote:

Preach!

Amen.

@Virginia F wrote:

@Amy T wrote:

Preach!

Amen.

Hallelujah
lysis10
Community Member

awww yeah sistah

You should ask her if her designer was a passionate designer cuz they prolly were very passionate

mtngigi
Community Member

@Jennifer M wrote:

awww yeah sistah

You should ask her if her designer was a passionate designer cuz they prolly were very passionate

Yes .... more than likely the word "passionate" shows up in their overview.

Virginia:

Not a joke: You should put this write-up in your Upwork portfolio. Post it as a straight-up text file or format it nicely if you want to.

Demonstrate to any prospective client who might read it that you're a pro.

I don't see the point of putting a diatribe against bad file formats in my portfolio - it doesn't belong there.

lomen_jan
Community Member

Yes, you can design a label in photoshop. But is not really a text friendly piece of tool. If you got like big caption it would end up fine, but if you have blocks of text - design the background and illustrative elements in photoshop, place it in illustrator or indesign to add text blocks on top. If you can't do vectors - you are not graphic designer.

Also, cramming every filter/effect is not going to make you designer. 

Pencil and paper are your friends use them before you turn on computer.

Less is more unless your brief demand maximalism.

I get a lot other "designers" files, I can pass the messy layers (if end result is good), but sometimes I get flatten PDF file from client to change text. I learned the hard way to ask for file first than say the price.

Would you like me to start a rant on other designers?

Here we go:

WOW, you can add special effect like lens flare. Nice, you have now a generic obviously fake effect plastered over some (also generic) photo. On top of that there are 5 various fonts used. It's rich, abundant and diverse. It screams EAT HERE. Pity that I saw photocopied rave party fliers that are more appetizing that your hip burger joint.

WOW, you made a logo that is blob of "something" when scaled down to a thumbnail size. If I tell you that is ugly and makes me wanna puke when i have to do collateral material, but different strokes for different folk. Where are you now to make the rest of collateral material? Also client has no logo in vectors, I think you should deliver that too.

WOW, your graffiti background and aesthetic is great and you managed to use it to design a brochure about retirement plan. I guess it has something to do with Queen Latifah as daytime TV talk show. You made the difference. Don't believe the hype.

WOW, you know how to combine stock photos and stock vectors! Pity that this guy on the photo is meme level of presence and everyone has this feeling that this dude on photo is also the same dude smiling on some ponzi scheme site.  And those vector laurels in yellow gradient that should be gold are on it. So quality! Shut up and take my money! 

I really should stop here. that can go ad nausem and also I can do the same what clients think graphic designers should do (but we don't). 

I mean, if you want, let me know. My sarcasm is gift to the world. 

end rant