🐈
» Groups » Designers & Creatives » Forum » Is the competition on freelancing is tough th...
Page options
margariyah
Community Member

Is the competition on freelancing is tough this season?

Why I'm struggling to get a new client/ job now? 😭 I'm a Top Rated Plus with a great total earnings.

Is the competition on freelancing is tough this season?
Upwork is crowded now with a fellow Graphic Artists and Designers.

Where are you my future client?😅

15 REPLIES 15
f1785f8c
Community Member

Looks like you had a nice year for your first year on the platform. I would just take the good with the bad.

I've been on here since 2008 and what is happening now is weird. It's not just a matter of taking the good with the bad.

stallegro
Community Member

UW has definitely changed something and not for the better. In the long run, they're shooting themselves in the foot because freelancers like me, that are also rated top rated aren't getting the work we used to so they're not getting their percentage cut. This new bidding thing is awful. I think we all need to call upper support and complain.

Hi Stacy, 

I agreed with you 100%. 

They're the current global industry leader and millions of people depend on them for finding work so people aren't just going to leave. If you put years of energy into creating a good profile score it's not that simple to leave. We can complain but at the end of the day it's a take it or leave it service.

stallegro
Community Member

Because UW added that crazy bidding system and changed things on the backend. There are many of us that are having this same issue. We all need to contact support and complain.

The bidding system is an internal quality check. Too many people just bid on projects without much effort and clients had to sift through too many irrelevant applicants. It was getting chaotic. If you have to pay per application you'll only apply to a job that you are serious about. I think this is not a problem by itself but the high fees and on top of it not getting any active proposals and the fact that freelancers are charged, clients are charged and not small amounts is very unfair. On top of this algorythms decide who's shown to whom. What jobs freelancers see and which freelancer applications clients clients see. Really not cool. Overwhelming greed. Oh, and not to mention that for consistently delivering high quality work for years you get no appreciation. Slight minor conflict or mishap and it's as if you're a kid in school who needs to be disiplined.

rlouw
Community Member

Using connects to apply for a job was already in place as a form of quality control. I don't see how a bidding system improves this.

I totally agree with you....since this bidding system has arrived it has effected the freelancers business. Only scammers can buy unlimited connects. 

d0ad7ac3
Community Member

Wow! You are Top Rated Plus and struggling now, please tell me what should I feel. Hehe, I'm new in this business. Maybe you can share some of the tips for me to excel in this field. Much appreciated!

Being new is not always a disadvantage.

necarelin
Community Member

This system doesn't work for professionals, only for ones investing money in connects.also I did try to use this system, but it seems like you have to put a good money in it, which I don't see any reasons to do. F*** Upwork.

yes it's true

Huh! That's quite discouraging to newbies like myself. 

westearth
Community Member

I am also Top Rated Plus and It's been a month for me without a new client. I am considering that Upwork is not a reliable source of income anymore; I used to do it as a full-time job, but now I consider it as something to do in my "spare time" for "extra money". 

The issue I have with Upwork now is not only the lack of clients but also how really badly paid are the jobs becoming over here.  And according to Upwork, a "low-paid" job is apparently "not complex" - this is their rationale for calculating the JSS.

I'm sure there are no creative experts in the Upwork JSS Team surfing over the hundreds of job adverts, otherwise, they'll realize how many badly paid jobs are around on the platform asking for complex tasks.