🐈
» Forums » Support » Increase in connects required for bidding
Page options
ShannonL
Community Manager
Community Manager

Marketplace Updates: Boosted Proposals and Connects

Two new Marketplace updates: 

1. Introduced a fourth slot in Boosted Proposals, increasing your chances of being noticed, while continuing to let clients see who is most interested in their job post.
  2. Adjusted the range for the cost of Connects per job to better match the demand for jobs in the Marketplace.

Check out the product release for Marketplace Updates: Boosted Proposals and Connects and let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

611 REPLIES 611

Connects are not returned to freelancers for non-response from the Clients' end even after 300(!) days, let alone 30 days, unless any decent client cancels the job.

Return does not happen even if the job post is from any unverified and nonresponsive account.

usdadp
Community Member

Agree

usdadp
Community Member

Recently i notice upwork start 8 connection for submit proposal on job instead of 6. Any one notice this ? one day may be upwork charge 100 connection.

Lot of similar topics here. Yes, it is up to 8 now.

Yes so what is the main reason upwork always increase this ?

d5bc0dbb
Community Member

Hi Pravin,

You have some more information about this updates in Upwork.

Product release note:

Marketplace Updates: Boosted Proposals and Connects
Update  

We’ve heard your feedback about the fierce competition on Upwork and your suggestion about reducing the number of proposals per job. With that, we have two small updates to share, both launching on March 8:

1. We’re making Boosted Proposals available to more freelancers. Now, up to four freelancers can boost their proposals to the top of a client’s list of proposals. By increasing the maximum number of Boosted Proposals, up to four per job post, we're expanding the opportunity for more freelancers to be found and hired faster.

Since our general release of the feature, we’ve found that Boosted Proposals ups your chances of being hired by up to 55%. While adding more visibility for clients, we’re also increasing freelancer opportunities in the Marketplace. 

2. We’ve reevaluated the cost of Connects per job to better match the demand for jobs in the Marketplace. The amount of Connects required to apply has always varied due to changes in demand for jobs; the new adjusted range will be anywhere from 2 to 8, depending on the value of the job. 

With this update, we aim to:

• Reduce the number of proposals per job
  • Better match the value of a job with the cost to submit a proposal

---

From my point of view it is not the best measure. Considerings some aspects, like the increasing amount of offers that nobody is hired and also the offers that are scams. The conditions make it harder to apply for some jobs. I understand the purpose of the measure but not sure about the genuine last effects.

usdadp
Community Member

Boosted Proposals is diff thing.  Its totly depends on freelancer want to do or not . But when any job post required 8 connection that means it cost freelancer to 1.2 USD. So think  about freelancer point of view as well.

abid_graphics
Community Member

Hi Upwork Community!

Is there a change in the Upwork policy for connects to be used for sending a proposal? Because I have not seen any job which requires 2 connects to send a proposal since yesterday.

If there is a policy change, please let me know. Or, it is just random for some time. Any response will be appreciated. Thank you.

Regards

Muhammad Hamza Abid

pemanchola
Community Member

I wonder why such an important announcement is not sent out in a mass email to all freelancers. I do not make a habit of visiting the community forums, and reading many of the replies here, a lot of freelancers don't.

Instead, I receive emails about working full time and contract-to-hire jobs, which I am not interested in, as my profile clearly states that I am looking to work less than 30 hours per week.

Where is the crucial communication when it is needed?

bundie702
Community Member

What's going on with the increase in connects required to post? I've never seen so many 6- and 8-connect ads before...? Encouraging people to boost their bids with connects wasn't enough? Some of these jobs are for quick, one-off jobs (like editing a one-page document). Seriously, Upwork?

abixbg
Community Member

8 Connects is actaully too low! It should be at least double and only restored if you are hired. Spam applying to jobs you obviously not fit is killing the platform. And NO Connect buying! You should be able to manage your connects and apply only when you fit or get invited. 

If you are a new freelancer using the free account or a freelancer in a country where financial conditions are vastly different, 8 connects is 4/5ths of your monthly free connects. You have two connects left to use to apply for jobs. You don't get ANY connects for interviews anymore, so you're stuck. If you spend 8 connects on one job and don't get it, you're done. Unless you buy more connects, you have to wait until the next month for your ten, which are quickly used up on the first job proposal. And since you can't get any experience that way, you also won't get hired. 

I've been here for two years, and I'm not willing —yet— to go for a paid account. Not until I know I can make enough to be self-sustaining. Right now, that's not happening. There should be a ten connect ceiling on boost, if boosting needs to exist at all. I say it does not need to exist. 

sealvlservices
Community Member

This is new, at least to me, 8 connects to submit a proposal 😒

This change has been brought up many times on the Forum

Marketplace Updates: Boosted Proposals and Co... - Upwork Community

adhanet_
Community Member

Connects requirements raised to 8 connects 2023? Is it regional? How does that work if people have 10 connects per month? 

Yes for some jobs.

When did it start and is it regional? I also have a paid membership that is supposed to show bid ranges but I got a post that didn't show it. The job says it is an enterprise client but it is also the Upwork platform itself, for a field marketing contractor

The number of connects required to apply depends on the job that you're applying for. Some jobs still require 2 connects. Furthermore, to have better chances of securing a job, one needs to bid as much as one can. And for that, one should buy connects along with the ones that Upwork gives monthly

I bought 60 connects with the monthly membership and the first month they said it would be pro-rated so they wouldn't give the additional 10 connects. 

How long have they been showing jobs for 8 connects?

Right. Okay.

I just recently saw a job that required 8 connects. but there are only a few like these. However, the bidding range can go up to even more than 20. 

When exactly did you first see the required 8 connects? I paid for the membership to see the bids and range but today I'm also not seeing that. I'm trying to figure out if it's a gliche. I have noticed that some job posts don't show the average rate that they pay.

Another strange thing that has been happening is I'm getting job invites way below the rate that I have on my profile

I think I saw that two days back from now. Regarding the issue with bids and ranges, try to change your browser, or remove the cache of the browser. That may resolve the issue.

That also could mean that in Upwork's algorithm, you're fit for these jobs based on your job success rate, earnings, and badges, if any.

Clients will always invite freelancers with high hourly rates to their low-paying jobs. They want to get the best work for the least amount of expense. Some will try to appeal by saying that they can't pay much, but can provide steady work (as if a steady diet of underpaid work is supposed to be a good thing). Just decline them, and check the "budget too low" box (and politely tell them so if you wish).

you buy more connects and upwork gets richer. $$$

The connects requirement has been raised to 16 connects now for some projects, Adhanet. The good thing is members get 80 connects every month. 

Raj.K.Ashok
rafiq_jsr
Community Member

We all know Upwork is the most expensive platform in the world online marketplaces, but it still imposes various decisions on us to increase its revenue each year. Before the current update, the connects price was a cause of concern for freelancers, and that concern has turned into a pain today.

I think the economic condition of every country in the universe is different, and not all freelancers are equally successful here. So, it is challenging enough to afford the proposal-boosting method for all freelancers.

So, it needs a precious decision about canceling the proposal boosting method and reducing the maximum number of required connects for every job post. Also, the connect sizing method should consider the project size as well as the client's reputation and history.

Md. Rafiqul I wrote:

We all know Upwork is the most expensive platform in the world online marketplaces

If you think that Upwork is the most expensive, it sounds like you haven't really checked out the alternatives. Some freelancing websites charge hundreds of dollars just to sign up, before you've won a single contract. Of course, what matters is whether you're getting a good return on your investment or not. I'd rather pay hundreds of dollars and get good leads, than be on a cheap website and get few or no leads.

hargunsingh0112
Community Member

Hmmm, thats amazing, really a good effort to ensure that freelancers have to spend even more connects to get a job. If it is really about people matching with the right jobs, why not give back the connects if you are not hired. The average connects required for a job has increased yet the connects provided per month for free remain the same. 

We give you 10 connects for free every month, and an average job now costs 6 connects, yes take that freelancers thank us later.

This a typical business strategy that will benefit no one but upworks. 

Freelancers will spend money on connects, apply on jobs that they might not get as half the jobs in listing are dead leads, will then buy more connects to apply on more dead posts, and in the rare chance that they might get a job, we will take our share from both the parties. 

So yea a great effort by upworks to improve things, for themselves. 

Upwork says that the boost feature is for reducing the proposals but that's not true actually. 
Too many freelancers submit proposals and the clients don't want to scroll down and down to the bottom. 
They see only a few proposals on the first page. So only boosted proposals(4 guys) and 1 lucky guy has a chance to show their proposals to the clients. 
Whether the boost feature exists or not, still lots of freelancers submit their proposals. 
So the boost feature is not for reducing proposals, it's Upwork's strategy to take more money from the freelancers. 

richzmond14
Community Member

After a few months of trying, one thing is for sure. This platform ain't for newbies anymore.

I'm not a newbie, and it's not for me over the last several months, either. Don't know if that's better or worse...

I'm here since this place was called another way, not upwork. In my profile, my first feedback is from 2011. That's 12 years. I'm definitely not a newby, and I'm a "top rated plus" freelancer (whatever it means).

You know what? I haven't found a new client in ages.

Become a paid member on this platform, Alessandro. And make sure your URL shows Professional Italian Translator. Becoming a premium member is a wise business investment.

Raj.K.Ashok
fcca14
Community Member

after coming up with a way to have more connects spent by freelancers... in the race to get high bid position now UW has devised yet another strategy... the connects price for bids have been increased upto 8 connects, instead of 6 max. I'm not going into debate about the verbose terms being used by the reps, to clarify and justify these steps but these are NOT good, and that is what I'm am putting my opinion on, being an Upworker.

Someone more Experienced and cunning sitting there than myself.. a finance professional who is constantly devising such tactics to get More from the freelancers. And what if your projects, like $60 now asks for 6 connects which, obviosly, seems high.

I'ld request, instead of "flushing out" connects from freelancers, which we buy with hard-earned money please have some other financial strategy.

Thanks

It's really hard to get jobs for freelancers. Many fake and unprofessional guys boost their proposals and took the top 4 slots. So the other developers don't have enough chance to show their proposals to the clients.
Vise versa, clients have fewer chances to hire professional developers because many new freelancers(0 earned) boost their proposals to take the top 4 seats.
The boost option is not a good idea for both clients and freelancers. 

Upwork says that the boost feature is for reducing the proposals but that's not true actually. 
Too many freelancers submit proposals and the clients don't want to scroll down and down to the bottom. 
They see only a few proposals on the first page. So only boosted proposals(4 guys) and 1 lucky guy has a chance to show their proposals to the clients. 
Whether the boost feature exists or not, still lots of freelancers submit their proposals. 
So the boost feature is not for reducing proposals, it's Upwork's strategy to take more money from the freelancers like the Availability Badge and Connects based on the job type. 

yes Aaron.. i forgot to mention..
the Availability badge is yet, yet another "great" idea by some "qualified professional" at UW, to have the freelancers connects being spent out.

and I forgot to mention about the "Availablity badge" scam... another stratight try, just to take out connects from the freelancers...

(i wonder if I would be in place of their new CFO what would I be doing.....)

And now it's gone up to 12/16!!!!!!

imcaptain
Community Member

Screenshot 2023-03-11 192520.jpeg

Guess, this describes how bad your decisions are.

You are destroying your legacy by TARGETING the labor force that does everything for you instead of supporting them and caring about their own interests.

GREED always DEVESTATE SUCCESS!!

Karim,

The price action of Upwork this week has NOTHING to do with the connections decision. All freelancing and most smaller Silicon Valley stocks were negatively affected because of the valley's banking news.

Sure. xD

Was talking about DECISIONS in "GENERAL" not only connects one, it's proof of bad administration.That's a chart for 5 years. 

They are just doing bad.!! and guess it will get worse with them, talk to me after one month.

Screenshot 2023-03-11 215454.jpeg

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths