cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0% fee 'Bring your own client'

Tobibur R Member Since: Nov 14, 2017
51 of 236

Hi Vladimir,

I’ve brought a client to Upwork from LinkedIn and now I work on his project, So now will I get 0% fee for all payments processed on this contract?

Thanks and regards

Tobibur Rahman

Community Leader
Joshua T Member Since: Apr 18, 2016
52 of 236

I can't think of one good reason I would introduce an non-Upwork client to Upwork. 0% fees? Big deal, I already get that.

Now if you want to offer a reduced fee on future Upwork clients in return for me bringing one of my clients here... THEN we'd be talking.

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
53 of 236

@Joshua T wrote:

I can't think of one good reason I would introduce an non-Upwork client to Upwork. 0% fees? Big deal, I already get that.

Now if you want to offer a reduced fee on future Upwork clients in return for me bringing one of my clients here... THEN we'd be talking.

I'm with Joshua here - what would be the advantage to me to put a layer of bureaucracy between me and my client? I really don't understand the point of this offer except that my client would then have the opportunity to look for someone cheaper than me, which would benefit Upwork, but obviously not me!

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
54 of 236

I can see an advantage to moving clients to Upwork if there weren't a fee. Currently, I have clients making payment through six or seven different methods, with turnaround times ranging from 15 minutes to 45 days--not counting one-offs. I have to invoice those clients, work out a payment method with new clients, occasionally chase an unpaid invoice, make various transfers based on differing payment methods...running all of those clients through a platform like this would further cut back on my non-billable work time.

There are issues that give me pause, but for me personally there is a clear advantage as well.

Community Guru
55 of 236

@Tiffany S wrote:

I can see an advantage to moving clients to Upwork if there weren't a fee. Currently, I have clients making payment through six or seven different methods, with turnaround times ranging from 15 minutes to 45 days--not counting one-offs. I have to invoice those clients, work out a payment method with new clients, occasionally chase an unpaid invoice, make various transfers based on differing payment methods...running all of those clients through a platform like this would further cut back on my non-billable work time.

There are issues that give me pause, but for me personally there is a clear advantage as well.

That's what you get for being so flexible! :-)

My clients have two options - Paypal or mail me a check. Never had anyone blink, and haven't had to invoice anyone more than twice, in more than 15 years of freelancing.

Community Guru
56 of 236

Jess, I work with a lot of large international corporations. I think I'd have a tough time telling Motorola, Apartments.com, Kaplan or a regional hospital chain that they needed to pay me differently than they pay their thousands of other contractors. 

That said, they probably wouldn't be any more open to working through Upwork, unless they saw other advantages. 

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
57 of 236

Hi Tiffany,

One more incentive is taking advantage of having a strong work history and complete reputation on a freelancer's profile, which will attract best clients on Upwork and can be used as a verified testament of the freelancer's services in their direct marketing efforts.

Community Guru
58 of 236

@Jess C wrote:

@Joshua T wrote:

I'm with Joshua here - what would be the advantage to me to put a layer of bureaucracy between me and my client? I really don't understand the point of this offer except that my client would then have the opportunity to look for someone cheaper than me, which would benefit Upwork, but obviously not me!

So, mea culpa, I just today came across a situation where I would use this program. I had a cold contact through my website from a gentleman in Canada looking for book design. Since I don't have any prior experience with him, he's not part of my usual network of clients, and there's no payment protection available to me across an international border, I gave him the Upwork link just to see what might happen. We'll see if he decides to use it, but I think I may be out of his price range. :-)

Julyn A Member Since: Jun 25, 2015
59 of 236
I just recently asked my client to sign-up on Upwork and use this platform for work because of the 0% offer I received on my email. But, why when she made the offer and I checked the rate, the 20% fee is still there? Okay, let say she didn't use the link I gave her. What should we do? I will not accept the offer unless it's 0%. I talked to one of your chat support and said that there's nothing you can do about it. I bring my client to Upwork because I trusted your you and you will still charge me. Please, I hope you will be more considerate on this matter.
Community Guru
60 of 236

Julyn, are you sure the client didn't use the proper link? I seem to recall that the original announcement said the rate would adjust to zero after 3 days for some reason--verification, probably.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS