Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 6 connects for Entry level job?

paywell
Pavlo L Member Since: Oct 21, 2019
51 of 69

Petra R wrote:

Maybe when Pavlo gets a little experience on the platform and thinks it through properly he'll see why it is a very silly set of ideas which would be bad for clients and freelancers in equal measures.

Petra, as a top rated "solution finder" here on the Upwork forum - what would you suggest to address the issue in the topic, or the ones I propose to tackle by implementing a realistic project length and worth? I would love to hear your input.

luisvbarata
Luis B Member Since: Sep 10, 2019
52 of 69

The determination of connects are irrational... I have discussed that with Glenn, from Upwork, And I will not repeat here my arguments, but is like trying to determine a price of a product before it has been sold. It´s a communist utopia...  Until you change your policy about connects I will not work anymore in Upwork. 

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
53 of 69

Yeah, Rahul, the Upwork algorithm that assigns connect values to new projects might as well be a monkey throwing darts at a board with the numbers 2, 4 and 6 on it.

I'd rather see Upwork assign connects required for new projects based on freelancers' work history and average project value, which is probably a better determinant of what the freelancer can expect to be paid on a new project value than anything Upwork can otherwise measure. In my limited experience, many clients obviously have no clue how much they should expect to spend for completion of their projects, so how can Upwork expect to know better?

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
54 of 69

Will L wrote:

Yeah, Rahul, the Upwork algorithm that assigns connect values to new projects might as well be a monkey throwing darts at a board with the numbers 2, 4 and 6 on it.

I'd rather see Upwork assign connects required for new projects based on freelancers' work history and average project value, which is probably a better determinant of what the freelancer can expect to be paid on a new project value than anything Upwork can otherwise measure. In my limited experience, many clients obviously have no clue how much they should expect to spend for completion of their projects, so how can Upwork expect to know better?

I don't see how Upwork could possibly implement different connect charges for every freelancer here; also, if they make connects cheaper based on past project values, it will only encourage spam bidding by low earners.

prudentva
MUHAMMAD IQBAL S Member Since: May 5, 2016
55 of 69

Hi Will, you are absolutely right. I also believe that most clients are not picking up the right parameters while they are uploading new projects. Like they are making a long term project without giving it any thought if they really have any intention to hire someone on long term basis. But due to their lack of attention, freelancers will have to spend 6 connects.

rafsun_ug
Community Guru
Rafsun S Member Since: Feb 10, 2018
BEST ANSWER
56 of 69

Upwork needs lots of money even it doesn't a matter to Upwork, if Freelancers doesn't get jobs or clients never hire anyone. Upwork is getting money whatever the Job was granted to anyone or not! You can see, almost every jobs get more than 50 proposals. That means Upwork earns $45 without anything if there needs a 6 connects...if the job granted to anyone, Upwork earns again 20% commission. It's business brother...it's business! But I strongly believe, what is going on here, is not fair!

View solution in original post

joansands
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
57 of 69

Rafsun - It's a business, brother, it's a business - and Upwork has always lost money. We just better hope they manage to stay afloat.

marulisan
Mohhammad Maruf H Member Since: Mar 16, 2021
58 of 69
Ya. Its brutal. I think in this way fiverr is far better although limited work. What to do?
florydev
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
59 of 69

Christine A wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

I read the OP in an Eeyore voice and all the replies got a Winnie the Pooh voice and then I chuckled.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I sound IRL.

I prefer to believe myself a Tigger, but I am afraid I might be a Rabbit.

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
60 of 69

Mark F wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

I read the OP in an Eeyore voice and all the replies got a Winnie the Pooh voice and then I chuckled.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I sound IRL.

I prefer to believe myself a Tigger, but I am afraid I might be a Rabbit.

No, you're definitely a Tigger.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS