🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » About my payment
Page options
99f932cd
Community Member

About my payment

Hello,

I have done 2 of my projects right on time and they were approved as successful. However when the payment time comes, project owners said that they need to get $300 from me which is one-time deposit processing fee. First they said it was to secure themselves in case of a freelancer leave the project unfinished. However how will I secure myself then? I have gained their trust by being punctual and responsible, however they failed gaining my trust by not doing my payment. I suggested them, with my own consent, to deduct money from my payment. Yet they didn't approach agreement. There is not any paper work that shows we signed a contract either, so how will I know that they will not disappear right after I send them this $300 "fee". 
Please help me about this situation. 
Thanks in advance.

**Edited for community guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
esadr
Community Member

It's interesting to note that scammers tend to end almost every sentence with "okay". Also, they use "believe me" and "trust me" a lot. 

@Wes, maybe you can put that as a warning sign in your list of red flags as well?

@Irem, I'm glad you didn't fall for the obvious scam and send them the money.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
wescowley
Community Member

This is a scam. There's no such thing as a processing fee. And the reason they won't deduct the money from your payment is there is no payment. It sounds like you did the work without having a contract on Upwork, which you need to have before you start doing any work.

Please read: 

Info on scams: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/List-of-red-flags-for-scams/m-p/1017044#M158742

Info on getting started on Upwork: https://community.Upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

Right, thankfully I didnt go further and do the payment. Thank you sir for your answer. 

esadr
Community Member

It's interesting to note that scammers tend to end almost every sentence with "okay". Also, they use "believe me" and "trust me" a lot. 

@Wes, maybe you can put that as a warning sign in your list of red flags as well?

@Irem, I'm glad you didn't fall for the obvious scam and send them the money.

99f932cd
Community Member

Thank you. And if there is a way to prevent these guys from deceiving people, I am ready to help with what I can.

sofia2008
Community Member

This is unfortunate that it happened to you, but following the terms of service you agreed to by signing up is essential for your own safety, and for using the platform.

In this case, communicating outside of Upwork before being hired on the platform, and the working outside of Upwork. I understand you might not have been paid for your work, but that was the plan.

I am sure you have a lot to offer and are eager to work. There are great clients on the platform. You are a service provider here. The only fees you pay are from Upwork. 

Stay safe out there, and all the best!

Thank you Ma'am, best wishes.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members