🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Beneficiary name is mismatched
Page options
sandee_miranda
Community Member

Beneficiary name is mismatched

My direct to bank payment method has been deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my bank account---this is because I previously used my nickname when I created this account.

But I have already edited my details to replace my nickname with my full name here in upwork. Any chance you could have my payment method activated already?

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

If it’s been more than 48 hours and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, a quick way to contact support is by clicking the "Get Support" button that shows at the bottom right corner of this page.

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,078 REPLIES 3,078

Hi Waqar,

You can update your name by going to Settings and using the edit button. If your name variation is not acceptable, our agent will advise you directly about the mismatch on your documents and will suggest editing your Upwork profile name to match your legal name.

~ Bojan
Upwork
f49ce9dd
Community Member

Hi, I'm trying to pay my connects with my PayPal account and it doesn't let me use my PayPal balance. ¿What can I do?

Hi Maria,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further with purchasing Connects. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
brian_dos_santos
Community Member

I recently add my PayPal as a payment method, but the message "Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account." still jumping even when the emails and the names in both accounts are the same.

wahlavisions
Community Member

I am confuse about a thing, I hope you will clear me out on this matter 🙂

I am about to connect my Get Paid > Payment Method as Direct to Local Bank.

Now, for Example,

• My Profile name is First Name / Middle Name.
  • My Government ID name includes and written as First Name / Middle Name/ Surname.
  • My Local Bank Account holder name includes and written as First Name / Middle Name/ Surname.
  • But name written on Certificate of Earning is First Name / Surname.

My question, Is my name mismatched here for payment to go through? or Everything is fine here and i am just thinking too much?

Hi Salman,

The name reflected on your payment method should match the name you have on your Upwork profile. If in case verification is required, our team will reach out to you directly. Please let us know if you have further questions. Thanks.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Joanne Marie P,

Thank you for replying. I am a freelancer.

After your answer, i did little research and check out invoices provided by upwork.

It very weird that,

• Upwork is right about my Profile Name (First/Middle Names) [Found in profile/chats/messages]
  • Upwork is right about my Bussiness Name (First/Middle/Surname) [Found in contract invoice with client]
  • But when it comes to Certificate of Earning, it only mention my (First/Surname). [Found in Certificate of Earning]

Why Certificate of Earning, does not show my Business Name (First/Middle/Surname)?

?

Hi Salman,

One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thank you Joanne Marie P

Looking forward to it.

Good day 🙂

73ad9a3e
Community Member

So I just recently added my paypal account and it says names do not match because on upwork I did not put my full name but I just recently got my ID verified, Can I do something so fix this?

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Carlos,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
2091a9c9
Community Member

the beneficiary name is mismatched     how to deal

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Svyatoslav,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further. You can access your ticket here.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
paavu
Community Member

Hi Community,

I have added my Company Bank Account as a Payment method. 
After a couple of days, I got this notification "bank account different name" and the Upwork team will respond through email to provide additional documents for verification.
I have company Incorporation certification, I am the Authorized person to handle the Bank transactions
But the email I receive to provide the documents didn't ask for company documents, Just asked the personal ID, I provided my PAN number and Driving Licence copy.
And Form just completed the procedure with just my personal documents. Didn't give the option to upload the company document as a verification proof that I am the authorized person to handle the bank account.  Now, the form link is not active and my account showing this message and I didn't find any option to submit company documents to verify the payment method.
"Payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method ". Please guide me on how/whereI can resubmit additional documents.

Thank you 

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Aneesh,

Thanks for reaching out to us. One of our team members already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
bunriz
Community Member

Hello,

I used Paypal to get paid by Upwork since 7 months ago and have no problems.

but today Upwork notify me that "Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account." In spite of they are the same.

how can i solve this problem?

Thanks,

Anyamanee

Hi Anyamanee,

Please allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
66ecf5bc
Community Member

Hi Anyamanee J,

If Upwork has deactivated your payment method and your beneficiary name is the same. The team will revert back to you soon and would let you know what to take further steps. Just wait for 24 hours and your issue will be resolved.

Thanks.

Naheedmir

https://www.coupongot.com/
491148fe
Community Member

PayPal name in Cyrillic and Upwork name in Latin, but it's the same name.

Диана **Edited for Community Guidelines** and Diana **Edited for Community Guidelines**, just because in PayPal I need to use only Cyrillic because I have Russian citizenship. Help me solve this problem, please. 

Hi Diana,

If there is a name mismatch, you need to allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

However, I checked and it seems that you need to fill out the W-8BEN Form in order to activate your withdrawal method.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thank you, Aleksandr.

I filled out this form, but the "get paid" method is still not confirmed. What else can I do? Can you, please, write down a link where I can write for the team, I'm not sure that I found the right one. Thanks a lot!

Is this the right window?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Diana,

Please allow up to 24h for our team to review your newly added payment method and they'll update you directly via a support ticket if they need any additional information.

Thank you for your patience!

~ Bojan
Upwork
afho_whk
Community Member

My account name is Ayesha Waheed but my actual name is afnan amin ali so it is giving me this error:

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.
Thanks for your considering look foward to hearing from you

Ayesha W wrote:

My account name is Ayesha Waheed but my actual name is afnan amin ali so it is giving me this error:

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.
Thanks for your considering look foward to hearing from you

You have to change your name to your real name. 

If your actual name is not the name is on upwork, then how did you verify your identity with the current name? That is strange!

raja-chandra
Community Member

Hey,
I am new to Upwork.

I got an error message that "the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account." 

I didn't have a legal last name (all my documents and bank account have my First name only) whereas Upwork doesn't allow to create an account without a last name. However, recently I have added my last name legally but it's in progress. I have all the supporting documentation that shows that I will be legally known with my last name now. It will still take me some time to get it updated in all other govt ids. Upwork is not able to authenticate my bank account because of the mismatched beneficiary name since my last name is not updated in my govt ids and bank account. Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reaching out to us, Raja and Ayesha.

I've escalated your account information to our support team. One of our agents will reach out to you directly via support tickets to assist you with your requests.

~ Bojan
Upwork
b7a28324
Community Member

So my account name and the name I wrote to the payment page does not match, I want to get my payment from one of my friends credit card but obviously his name - surname is different than my name which is an issue for upwork.. What should I do?

Hi Oguz,

One of our team members will update you directly via a support ticket. Thank you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
1cadd739
Community Member

Hello,
I keep getting this when I try to add my paypal payment method,
' beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account'
Name is the same: 'Omar Zahir'
The thing is my email is taken into account, not my name!, upwork is comparing my name to the email I used to create paypal.
wha should I do?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Omar.

I've escalated your account information to our support team. One of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with your concern. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Louie,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further with your beneficiary name mismatch. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

jambutongia
Community Member

Hello,

My Payment Method is restricted as my name in Bank and my name in Upwork profile mismatch with very minor word like Middle name. I want to change my Upwork name so kindly suggest further steps where I have to submit my documents to support this.

Thanks & Regards,

Jambu Tongia

Hi Jambu,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further with your beneficiary name mismatch. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hi, I have the same problem.

My Paypal payment method is declined, it says that names are different but it's the same. Could you check that please? It's the same email and everything.

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket as soon as possible to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
mmukarram_asghar
Community Member

Hello

I need help adding my Paypal to Upwork payment method, but it says that your name should be matched You can check the screenshot https://prnt.sc/ux6wwi, the PayPal email won't work?
Suppose if the Paypal is with a different name?

Please help me with this..

Hi Murtaza,

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members