🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Beneficiary name is mismatched
Page options
sandee_miranda
Community Member

Beneficiary name is mismatched

My direct to bank payment method has been deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my bank account---this is because I previously used my nickname when I created this account.

But I have already edited my details to replace my nickname with my full name here in upwork. Any chance you could have my payment method activated already?

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

If it’s been more than 48 hours and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, a quick way to contact support is by clicking the "Get Support" button that shows at the bottom right corner of this page.

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,078 REPLIES 3,078
kevinrose12
Community Member

I am having trouble adding paypal to upwork.. I did check multiple times for the name and they are exactly the same both on upwork and paypal.. But the error still persist saying "The beneficiary name is mismatched. "

Please can somebody help me?

Hi Ahmed Taha,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Please, allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
f6fe7e8d
Community Member

My payment method has been deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my pay pal account---this is because I previously used my nickname when I created this account.

may i know how to solve it?

Thank you!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Genesis,

Please, allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

I have the same problem in paypal can someone help ?

Fadi,

Please be assured that our team is reviewing the mismatch issues. Please allow the team up to 24 hours to review your account. If they require more information from you, they will reach out to you directly. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
f6fe7e8d
Community Member

Hi Bojan, after my upwork account name has been verify by upwork team,but my paypal payment method still inactive even if i add again.

Hi Sze Huey,

I checked and it looks like your payment method is already active. Please log in to your account and check. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
sergey_sukhovey
Community Member

Hello everyone! My PayPal and payment details Upwork match. I everywhere use only my name. But I don't know how to solve a problem "The beneficiary name is mismatched." Please, help me.

Hi Sergey,

It looks like you've added your PayPal account just recently. Please allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Yes, thanks a lot for your reply!
4bc5adba
Community Member

Hi there,

Just like many other freelancers, I'm facing this mismatch problem between my Upwork and PayPal accounts. My name is exactly in both, but the system does not accept my account since this verfication rule has been imposed.

Could you please review this issue for me?

Best Regards,

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kristina,

It looks like your name has been approved. Feel free to reach back to us if you still need any assistance.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
4bc5adba
Community Member

Hi there,

Just like many other freelancers, I'm facing this mismatch problem between my Upwork and PayPal accounts. My name is exactly in both, but the system does not accept my account since this verfication rule has been imposed.

Could you please review this issue for me?

Best Regards,

frenchorbit
Community Member

Hello, 

I am a freelancer and I just have set up my bank account details to get paid but I have an issue with the name on my bank account: it does not correspond to my name on upwork. In the Netherlands you use Initials for the first name on your bank account. So I put my full first name on "first name" , my full family name on  "family name"but then I put the Initials + surname on "name on the account" because this is how my name is appearing on my bank account. 

I don't know what to do in order for my bank details to be accepted. Should I put my full name on "name on the account" because then it's not what my bank has. 

Thank you 

Hi Sabrina,

It looks like you've added your bank account just recently. Please allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hello Bojan, 

Since I haven't received any notification or email confirming my account has been reviewed and there is no name mismatch any more, can you please confirm me that there is no name mismatch. Also could you confirm my tax payer info has also been accepted (i've posted about this on another thread, I've accepted the solution which was to send a screen shot of the email I've received from upwork but this was 4 days ago and since then, I haven't received any confirmation about my tax payer info) 

Thank you

Hi Sabrina,

I checked and it looks like an email was already sent to you regarding the name mismatch. The email was sent on the 20th of May so I suggest that you check the email out and follow up on the secure link in order to resolve the name mismatch.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
jobmarrk
Community Member

My name for upwork account mismatches with pay and hence the method of payement has been deactivated. i have replied to your email purpotting it has been denied. Kindly advise if it is being reviewed

billprotzmann
Community Member

The automated system doesn't seem capable of confirming a payment method. I've created an account in my name under a business EIN and I am a signer on the bank account(s) and PayPal. The automated system help says that "someone will contact me" to verify identity....what's my nest move here?

Hi Bill,

Please allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
magamal
Community Member

Hi, new Upwork freelancer! 🙂 I've been trying to get my Paypal account linked for almost a week now as it said that it usually takes up to 48 hours for name variations to get approved, however now when I checked to see if there was any progress it says "Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account." although this is MY Paypal account and I don't have an alternative payment method I can currently use. Can somebody please tell me how you resolved this issue with Upwork? Also, how can I contact them, is there an email or a number I can call because I couldn't find anything and the automated chat available in the "Help & Support" section didn't really help me out much either. Thanks a lot in advance! 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Manal,

We’ll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your concern. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
vinoshini
Community Member

Hi,
Please anyone help me
what is the problem with my account?
I dont understand.
Its saying payment method verification in progress always.
My name is subashini m.i changed my profile name lot of time .but there is no use. Please help me

You can only withdraw the funds into a legitimate payment method that is under your name.

For example, if you're trying to withdraw funds directly to your local bank, the name on your bank account should match with the details on the Upwork account (your Upwork account name).

Edit: I see that you've already tried updating your profile name. I guess a moderator will be able to help you with that. Wait for a moderator's response 🙂

thanks for your suggestion.

Hi Suba,

I've escalated your concern to the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thank you so much

ab0lito
Community Member

Hey there, 
Upon trying to set up my payment method, I realized that I can't as it got rejected due to the fact that the name on my Upwork account is different from that on the bank account.

While it is understandable to take such measures, I would hope that you would take into consideration the fact that I live in Lebanon where setting up a bank account right now is near impossible with the economic situation. I don't wanna rant about the topic in the forums, but I would hope to be able to get in touch with someone to better explain the situation as to why I'm forced to use a different bank account as I have no other option to receive payments. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ali,

Please, allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
ab0lito
Community Member

Hey Bojan,
My payment method already got rejected. I would like to contact support to explain the reason why the names are different, please. 

Hi Ali,

I've escalated your concern to the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
6e9f0064
Community Member

Hi, I have some interesting questions.

I have checked Read our policy on name changes

Name – Your profile name should be your real name , Paypal name ...
Address – For tax purposes, you must use your real, permanent address

1. I would like to add Billing methods to buy connects.

I created paypal and used my First and Last Name.

But I put First Name and Middle, Last Name on Upwork.

So paypal has only First&LastName, Upwork has First and Middle&LastName.

Can I connect this paypal to my Upwork account?

Or should I change my name by adding middle name on paypal, then can connect to Upwork after changed?

2. Also can I omit my middle name on the Last Name field of Upwork? so it will be only first and last name. Then I don't need to change name on Paypal?

3. About the address field, can I put my living address or it should be matched to the address in billing documents?

4. Another interesting question is I know some guys has long name.

They could use short name or alias on their proposal?

Thank you

Hi Ramon,

Thank you for your questions. You are not required to use your middle name on Upwork, however, when setting up a payment method, your verified name in Upwork must match the name on your payment account. If you've already added and the team finds any issues, they'll reach out to clarify and assist you further. Feel free to check here to learn more.

Additionally, the address on your profile should be the one where you currently live. Note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile needs to be accurate, truthful, and verifiable.

Lastly, your profile name can be a nickname or variation, as long as it follows our name change guidelines. Your verified name is only shared on invoices and the Contract Room you have with a client. Also, since you're fairly new to the platform you may want to check out this thread Getting Started on Upwork as well as our Resource Center; where you’ll find some excellent articles and learn more about Upwork.

I hope this helps!

~ Luiggi
Upwork
3d4dd9cf
Community Member

My direct to bank payment method has been deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my bank account---this is because I am married now and my bank account named in my maiden name. But Upwork already verified in my account using my legal name as a married person. Is there an any chance you could have my payment method activated using my maiden name in bank account? I have already sent my ID's and statement account using ​my maiden name.

How is it that you updated your name in other government-issued IDs after marriage and did not update with your bank? 

I'd think the easiest way is to update your married name with your bank, so it matches the other IDs and Upwork can verify easily! 

Hi Charlene,

Please allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you. If needed you should be able to use your marriage certificate to verify your beneficiary name. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
pixigraphic
Community Member

Hello

I am new here, i have open an account named pixi graphics - but my company name is Codeware LTD, so that my Bank Account name is "Codeware LTD" , i have added my Company Bank Account then , but its denied. So what can i do now? I need to add my Company Bank info to it.

Thanks in Advance

Hi there,

To set up payment to your bank or payment account, you must be listed as an account holder or authorized signer on that account, or demonstrate that you are authorized by the business to do so. The listed name on the account must match your verified name on Upwork. You can check out this help article for more information.

~ Nikola
Upwork
oleg-krn
Community Member

Hi, I too cant add paypal here. When I add paypal here, it is written: "Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account." I just cant understand where the problem is. Please get into my case and help me guys

This is what I have here:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

This is what I got on paypal (my name there is spelled in Russian. I think this is the problem):

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members