🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Beneficiary name is mismatched
Page options
sandee_miranda
Community Member

Beneficiary name is mismatched

My direct to bank payment method has been deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my bank account---this is because I previously used my nickname when I created this account.

But I have already edited my details to replace my nickname with my full name here in upwork. Any chance you could have my payment method activated already?

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

If it’s been more than 48 hours and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, a quick way to contact support is by clicking the "Get Support" button that shows at the bottom right corner of this page.

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,078 REPLIES 3,078
11653bd1
Community Member

Hello, I'm Oguzhan! (Oğuzhan)

I have started working with my customers through UpWork without any problems until today. First of all, thank you for offering such a system.

I entered my card information to transfer the money in my account to my card via IBAN, but my UpWork name and my card name do not match due to non-English characters in my name! In addition, the card information section does not accept the letter "Ğ" and the letter "ı" of my original name.

Hence, "Payment method verification in progress"
Your payment method has been disabled because the recipient name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.
Please visit our FAQ page for additional information. 

"The beneficiary name is mismatched. " 

system gives this error.

Please help me.

SCREENSHOTS
Error3.jpg

Error2.jpg

Error1.jpg

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Note: Also, I just changed my UpWork name to (**Edited for Community Guidelines**) (TR), but it wants me to wait 48 hours. If this issue is resolved, I will change my name back to (Oguzhan Tatlidil) (ENG). I hope changing my name won't cause any inconveniences.

Have a good day.
Oguzhan (Oğuzhan)

Hi Ouzhan,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and your name mismatch is now approved. Please let us know if you need any further assistance. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
11653bd1
Community Member

Thank you very much! You have been incredibly helpful! 😀

elenaviga
Community Member

Hello! My problem is that I tryed to withdraw money but it was impossible because my "financial account has been suspended". That happend because "the beneficiary name on my payment method doesn't match the name on my Upwork account." ( from "Payment method verification in progress" and "The beneficiary name is mismatched" messages) But the case is that my names there are the same:

**Edited for Community Guidelines** on PayPal

**Edited for Community Guidelines** on Upwork (though it's not very necessary to add patronymic)

May be the problem appeared because of using different languages? But on PayPal I wrote name due to my documents. And There is possible using English only on Upwork.

Please, give me any advice to solve this problem.🙏

Hi Elena,

I'm sorry to hear you experienced this issue. I've just shared your concern with the team and can confirm that you should no longer see this error. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi there, i have the same problem. Account works on my freelancer account but does not work on the agency account.
Its the same bank, beneficiary name is correct. I already asked for help here but the issue was fixed only on my freelancer account, still the same error on the agency - name "Codepage". Same account as it always was, just recently got this "mismatch" error.

Hi, Have the same issues. ''Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.''
Can you check on my account? Been using this account for 3 years already and never encountered this..Your support page seems to be not working or no response.. 

Hello Pawel and Lolita,

Thank you for your message. I am pleased to inform you that your payment method has been accepted and will be active in 3 days.

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork
ozgurden
Community Member

I have the same problem, the name of my confirmed ID and at my payment method (in this case Bank Account) is %100 same. I don't know how to solve the problem..

Hi Ozgur,

Our team will update your method as well, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
stwpd
Community Member

Hey Upwork Community,

A few days back my payment transfer method was disabled, and the error was "Beneficiary name is mismatched", I contacted customer support and the bot said that my ticket has been raised and the Upwork representative will contact you regarding your query within 24 hours.

They took their time and provided me a link to re-upload my documents to justify my name, after submitting I got another notification that it will be verified within 24 hours, and now it is all working well.

I lost time, a client, and reputation for no reason, the name is exactly the same letter by letter no change, still, I don't know what was the exact reason for this short suspension. I love Upwork but this experience is very bad and I want some concession.

Thanks

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Yaseen,

I'm sorry to hear about this. If you have any questions regarding your name mismatch I would suggest you reply directly to your support ticket with our team as they are the ones who can best assist you.

~Andrea
Upwork
stwpd
Community Member

Yeah sure, please connect me with someone.

Thanks
ae6156c3
Community Member

Hello,

I have the same issue. Although my name in my upwork account is the same as in my bank account, it is not accepted because of the characters in my name and surname.

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ilgin,

I can see you were able to submit a support ticket with our team regarding this. Please allow some time for our team to review and they will update you directly via ticket as soon as possible.

~Andrea
Upwork
582b5024
Community Member

I got a message more than 5 days ago about a name mismatch on my checking account. This is holding up payment. All the help articles indicate someone was going to check and then contact me within 48 hours of this being flagged. It is well past 48 hours and I have not been contacted. The problem is simple to resolve. I am a single member llc so the account is in the name of my llc. I have documents to show this and the EIN I provided are associated with my llc. I am trying to reach someone to solve the issue, but can't find any why to contact someone at Upwork. The chat bot is worthless a help. 

What do I need to do to get payment set up and get paid 😞

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sam,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork
healthwriter1111
Community Member

Hi.
I had a problem with beneficiary name mismatch and my account has been suspended. I had changed my account name to my bank account name but still I got no notification response.
I don't know how to proceed further.

Hello Abdullah,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about the action taken on your account. Kindly update your profile photo to include a real and accurate image for the team can review your account for resumption. I see that the relevant team has already notified you via a support ticket here. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them directly on the support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. You can also respond to the support ticket via your registered email address. 

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork

Thanks for response.
Now I have uploaded my photo for profile image but still receiving no notification and no response.

Hi Abdullah,

As Pradeep mentioned, you can reply directly to the appropriate team via support ticket so they can assist you further. Please check your email for the notification you received when our team reached out to you and reply directly to them as they are the ones who can best assist you.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi.

I have updated my name and matched it and have uploaded my most recent photo on my Upwork account.

Now I want to know what's remaining why it is getting too long and complicated?

Hi Abdullah,

I checked with the team and they have confirmed that the limitation on your account has been lifted. You may now log in and check. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thanks a lot.

Hi.
I had a problem with beneficiary name mismatch and my account has been suspended. I had changed my account name to my bank account name but still I got no notification response.
I don't know how to proceed further.
headzoo
Community Member

When I try to get paid this week I'm suddenly getting the error "The beneficiary name is mismatched." I'm using the same bank accounts I've been using for years. The name on the accounts and my upwork profile have not changed and have always been the same.

Does Upwork occasionally flag bank accounts for review? This seems kind of random since nothing on my accounts has changed in years.

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sean,

The name mismatch on your account has been cleared.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hello Ms. Andrea, 

I am having a same problem of not able to withdraw money as it says there is a mismatch in beneficiary name. I am using this same name and Bank detail over an year and there was no error. Please help me. I am a top Freelancer in Upwork. 

Hi M S S H,

Your payment method is now approved and you can withdraw your funds at any time. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
emrekayikci
Community Member

Even if my name on bank account and the name on my Upwork account are the same, it is given me an "the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account" warning. I can not understand because it has been like this since my first payment transfer. I applied for a verification and it says to wait for 48 hours. I guess there had to be a better explanation about the source of the problem.

So should I wait for 48 hours?

Hi Emre,

Yes, please wait 48 hours for your name mismatch to be reviewed and cleared. If more time passes and our team has not reached out to you for more information please follow up with us here and we'll be happy to help!

~Andrea
Upwork
pandemiya
Community Member

Hi,
I wanted to transfer money to my bank account from Poland today, which I have saved as a payment method. I have used this many times this year with no problems at all.

However, today when I accessed my profile and wanted to withdraw funds, a message popped up saying, "Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account."

This is strange because my names match (I didn't make any changes), and it must be an error on the part of the system.

Can you please help me with this, fix it?

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Grzegorz,

Thank you for reaching out. The name mismatch on your account has been cleared.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi Andrea, 
Thanks you for your quick action, now everything is fine.

a119b73c
Community Member

Hi Andrea. Can you help me about same "The beneficiary name is mismatched" problem?

Hi Mert,

It should be fixed now. Please let us know if you need further assistance. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork
18d977ae
Community Member

I am trying to withdraw my funds from Upwork to Paypal, however, whenever I add the payment method it states "The beneficiary name is mismatched." However, the name on my Upwork is the exact same name as the Paypal account.

Hi Michael,

Our team will update your payment method shortly and you will be able to withdraw your funds. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
kazmi1997
Community Member

Hi,

I am new to upwork. I am getting Beneficiary name is mismatched issue, I was able withdraw my first payment using name setting but now I am getting this issue. It has been more than 5 days and I am unable to get any feedback regarding it.

Hi Hamza,

Our team will review your method as well and will update it shortly, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members