🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client changed weekly limit to zero
Page options
phuongpt
Community Member

Client changed weekly limit to zero

Recently I faced to this problem, when client changed weekly limit to zero before deadline of weekly review, then it made all logged time were disabled.

This contract was ended and this client is really terrible, he used a lot of ways to hack the platform.

He often requested the refund despite freelancers finished the tasks.

I and others freelancers had to refunded a part amount but still got the lied reviews.

One of main problems I want to mention here is changing weekly limit to zero really worked for him.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

14 REPLIES 14
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Hi, Phuong.

I hate to see stories like yours.

Did this client insist you use manual work time entry instead of using TimeTracker? 

I used the TimeTracker, I'm not sure why Upwork let it's possible.

virtualbrix
Community Member

I am sorry to hear that. I would just move on and not waste to much time on clients who do not respect your work.

lizablau
Community Member

You should check if that change immediately became activated.  I recall when a client once changed my weekly hours from 10 to 5, it didn't automatically become active until after that current work week ended to protect the freelancer.   

If not, if you used the time tracker/work diary your hours may still be protected.

I actually used the time tracker, it was still disabled. He also disturbed the last payment and I had to refund couple hours of low activity

Some of what I'm reading about in this thread are mistakes being made be the freelancer.

If a client behaves inappropriately, the freelancer should stop working for the client.

The original poster sounds like he stuck around, working for a ridiculous client, long after he should have left.

I've never heard of hours set to zero. Have you?

The client could have paused the contract to stop work, but resetting the time limit downward does not prevent time already booked on a project for the current work week being payable by the client. If that were possible, even hourly payment protection would end up being no protection at all when dealing with dishonest clients.

Sure. A client can set hours to zero.

I have seen it done and read about it in the Forum.

Setting a freelancer's hours to zero does not violate any rules.

And it does not prevent a freelancer from being paid for the time they already logged.

It can be an agreed-upon way to pay a freelancer, such as with a contract that has automated weekly payments set up, and the client does not want additional billing beyond those payments. Or when a client is paying a freelancer via bonus payments for piece work.

Oh right, I tried to do it when realized the problem. But he didn't let me do it easily.
He said he would have to dispute last payments for abandoning a project without period notification and that generates losses, besides it is specified that the minimum contract is 6 months.
I had to finished that tasks to leave, after that he wanted to decrease my rate to continue, but I refused it and we agreed to teminate the contract, finally he kicked me out Slack, also disputed on the last payments and gave the lied reviews

mayalee99
Community Member

did you report him or contacted upwork about it

Yes, I mentioned it in our disputing the last payments but Upwork ignored it and just focused on the disputing.

I see absolutely no reason to file a dispute against this client or participate in a dispute with him or argue with him.

If he does not highly value your work and pay you as you expect to be paid, then simply stop working for him. Don't waste your time with him.

This is nothing to dispute. 

I was only asking about it because I never heard of it, but now I know it can be done! 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members