🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Clients
Page options
kristenbrady
Community Member

Clients

I'm noticing more and more that these clients are holding our payments "hostage" that is, withholding payment until we jump through a certain amount of hoops that weren't laid out from the very beginning. I've had several clients ask me to do things that weren't in the scope of work laid out from the very beginning they just tack them on  at the end and they won't pay me unless I do it. 

I've been on upwork for 13 years and I've never seen anything like it. 

Leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And also. Upwork is taking too big of a cut. I wanted to charge $20 an hour and after Upwork takes their cut ($5/hr) it brings it to $25 per hour. I've had a lot of clients leave and stop doing business with me simply because they dislike the Upwork charges. Upwork needs to stop being so greedy. True they provide a good service but the fees are too high. I know I know alll about the discounts they give for entrerprise clients and stuff like that. But I wish Upwork would go back to the glory days when they didn't take such a high fee and they didn't charge for connects. You could apply for jobs for free. This was back in 2014 of course, before they merged with Elance and everything became super competitive and oversaturated

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

What do you mean? If your hourly rate is 20, then upwork will take a fee of 4 from that, but only on the first 500$. Why do your clients care about your fee as a freelancer? They pay 20 per hour plus some small payment processing fee. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
martina_plaschka
Community Member

What do you mean? If your hourly rate is 20, then upwork will take a fee of 4 from that, but only on the first 500$. Why do your clients care about your fee as a freelancer? They pay 20 per hour plus some small payment processing fee. 

jr-translation
Community Member

Sorry, Upwork is not going to change but you could and should.

1. If a clients refuses to pay for the work, just keep it. Use if for your portfolio or sell it to another client. They might reconsider if they otherwise have to start from scratch.

2. Your rate screams: I am desperate for work and do anything. PLEASE. You might want to change that.

3. As a writer you might also want to invest some time in your profile.

Yeah you're right. Thanks

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members